Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: E39 electrical problem

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i

Thumbs down E39 electrical problem

Hey guys, first want to say this is my first ever post and BMW. In the last 2 days I got a 03 530i. My friend gave it to me if I fixed alternator and battery. Anyways long story short I got it up and running, but after driving I've notice a few things wrong. First I heard what sounded like tin cans dragging from my car. I checked rotors and doesn't seem to be bad breaks or anything lodged in between. Also after the new battery, most electronics don't work. Heat, lights and head lights fade, passenger door doesn't open, seat doesn't move, dome light don't work, key doesn't lock/unlock door... etc. just a lot of electrical problems. I didn't have time to check fuses. Would you say it would be fuses or I was reading BMW has IBS. Would going to the shop and having them reset the ibs solve my problems. Thanks guys

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Even a car of that vintage is basically a rolling computer. As such, the electronix don’t like whacky voltages. Pull the battery and have it fully charged. A new battery likely doesn’t have a full charge.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Thanks for the advice. I finally got around to checking fuses. Most of my problems where replacing them but I few things still don't work. My main problem is trying to get the door unlocked. Hoping it's not the actuator, and just a fuse keeping it locked. Can't seem to find the location of door lock/unlock

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Can you lock/unlock the door with the key? Does the actuator make any noise when you use the remote?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    No. I tried to unlock/lock with remote and by pressing the unlock button, but no luck. None of the doors lock. I don't hear any noise as well. When I try to pull on the passanger door from the inside the lock tab does pull up but goes right back down. I even tried to reset the key hoping it would work but nothing.. no central lock fuses are blown. I'm just stuck at what it could be. Would hate to take it to the dealer and have it be a simple fix.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Find a Haitian voodoo priestess.
    Just kidding. Your car, an E39, has a General Module 3 “box.” But that box doesn’t control the windows. Here’s a link to some info:

https://www.bmwgm5.com

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    You must be my Haitian voodoo priestess then lol. I've finally determined it's the GM5. Thank you so much man

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Sorry I should say GM3 module. But it states that it doesn't supply the door locks, the H-bridge power mosfit does. Now I'm confused lol

EDIT: well the more I read the more confused I am. Could it maybe be in transport mode. I locked the doors by putting the key in the lock. The rear doors locked but front driver stayed unlocked and the passenger didn't unlock. When I tried that the alarm went off. All the lights flashed but no sounds. Maybe it's the GM3 module but I was also reading that transport mode does the same things. Ugh why did I have to buy a confusing ass car lmao
    Last edited by Chager59; 03-15-2018 at 11:27 PM.