eBMWParts

Thread: I Would like to make an adapter to convert regular strut to M style endlink

My Cars
    Z3 25rstr 325ix X5 4.8is

I Would like to make an adapter to convert regular strut to M style endlink

Like the title says, I would like to have a piece made, from an aluminum or steel block, with a hole the diameter of the strut, and cut in half with Allen bolts to clamp it to the strut and an attachment to mount the M style endlink

Has that been done before?
    May be an additional bracket to the base of the spring would be necessary to stabilize everything...

Either that or keep the stock setup and having my sway bar machined on a milling to make it flat a bit more, and make a hole like 2'' beside.

I don't want to buy a brand new H&R bar right now because the can=us exchange rate would bring that bar to $400 (one bar!!)

I have access to a machinist at work who could do it on his spare time, so it would be free.

It is for a street car.

Is it a great idea :-) ?
    ______________2000 Z3__ __1988 325ix turbo______________

My Cars
    1996 328i vert

I Would like to make an adapter to convert regular strut to M style endlink

Are you referring to something like this but removable?
    https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...6-z3-non-m-m3/

In order for a removable piece to work you’d need more bite into the strut tower than the stock or aftermarket allows for, hence the welding requirement above. You could create an adjustable collar, which might be an interesting add-on. I’m not sure how it would interface with the brake line and sensor cable tabs though. Honestly you are better sourcing stock e36m3 struts and adding koni inserts...this option would yield
    less than $400, and it would be done properly vs some jerry rigged modification

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Pyropete82; 03-15-2018 at 08:27 PM.

My Cars
    Z3 25rstr 325ix X5 4.8is
    Yes, a bracket like you show, but bolted to the strut.

I bought 2 struts and 2 shocks this winter to replace worn ones, but didn't think of that mod, so it's too late for M struts.

But since I posted this thread, I realized that spending time designing this mod would remove time available for my racecar, so, I just ordered an aftermarket sway bar.
    It should do the job since it is a street car. If it's not enough, I will come back to this mod later.

I'm thinking maybe something easier could be done. Let's say I drill another hole in the control arm, like 1'' toward the outside and move the link to that new position, and install an extension to the top threaded part of the OE link, the motion ratio would be increased, may be not as much as the 'M' location, but some % and added to the new bigger sway bar, it may be a plus?

My Cars
    1996 328i vert
    I wouldn’t add anything to the suspension to another position that hasn’t been engineered for that.

You cannot bolt anything to the strut tower. The wall of the tube is less than 1/8”. You’d have to punch through the shaft which would expose the insert to a sharp fastener. A modified collar with friction grip could work, but I haven’t seen a design for this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '91 325i
    It has been done, it kind of works but the sway bar ends have a tendency to turn and move. Takes a good bit of clamping force to make it all work. If you have a bilstein HD or Sport strut, you can take the insert out and weld a tab to the body then reinstall the strut insert. You will spend a lot of time and effort to make something that already exist for fairly little money.

What kind of struts are they?
    Harrison Motorsports
    Motion Control Suspension
    Daytona M3

My Cars
    Z3 25rstr 325ix X5 4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavlo View Post
    It has been done, it kind of works but the sway bar ends have a tendency to turn and move. Takes a good bit of clamping force to make it all work. If you have a bilstein HD or Sport strut, you can take the insert out and weld a tab to the body then reinstall the strut insert. You will spend a lot of time and effort to make something that already exist for fairly little money.

What kind of struts are they?
    They are KYB. I had bad experiences with Bilstein being too harsh and too pressurized and lifting the car a bit.

I was thinking maybe bolt to the tube and weld to the to the spring seat.

But since I bought the UUC sway bar, I will try it like that before... if the snow can melt one day.