Thread: BMW Store in MA tried to scam me?

My Cars
    x1 2015

BMW Store in MA tried to scam me?

So what happened is that I went to this BMW store (shrewsbury bmw) in MA yesterday.
    I was looking to buy certified preowned X1 (CPO vehicle).
    I called them and they sent me a car fax photo stating that it had no accident history.
    I believed them. The next day, I went there to buy the car and signed it and they told me to wired the money over as early as possible if I wanted it by monday.
    When I got back home I took a close look at the photo and found out that the VIN number was different from the one I was trying to buy.
    AND I LOOKED IT UP on CARFAX AND IT HAD A ACCIDENT HISTORY. THEY LIED. PLUS, THEY ALSO SAID THEY DONT SELL "ACCIDENT HISTORY VEHICLES IN CPO"
    so two things "they sent me a photo with a different car to show it had no history of accident" "they said they dont sell cars with accidents as CPO.

I called them and they said the store manager will call me asap on sunday or on monday regarding this issue.
    What should I do? I almost paid 23k over that car. If i didnt find out, I WOULDVE PAID!!! ISNT THAT A SCAM?
    CAN I EXPECT SOME KINDA COMPENSATION?
    CAN ANYONE HELP ME? IM SO MAD right now

thx in advance
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 03-13-2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: sailor boy languange

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    They will claim it was a mistake. You will get no compensation and I am not sure why you would unless you bought the car since you suffered no harm. But you should publicize this. Post on every BMW forum, complain to the MA Consumer Protection Bureau in the AG’s Office, and anywhere else you find. It’s a pretty big screw up and you are probably right that it was a bit of a scam but you will never prove it. All you can do is try to protect others or give ammunition to someone who was previously scammed and suffered loss.

My Cars
    x1 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    They will claim it was a mistake. You will get no compensation and I am not sure why you would unless you bought the car since you suffered no harm. But you should publicize this. Post on every BMW forum, complain to the MA Consumer Protection Bureau in the AG’s Office, and anywhere else you find. It’s a pretty big screw up and you are probably right that it was a bit of a scam but you will never prove it. All you can do is try to protect others or give ammunition to someone who was previously scammed and suffered loss.
    I have my text messages from the agent as proof. They did not disclose the history of accident. They used the history of some different car to tell me that there was no history of accident. I can def prove it. So I guess I can get some compensation?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Discuss it with a lawyer, only real experts can advise you.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    z3
    You should have bought it THEN sued

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Two works, really simple.

caveat emptor

/thread
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by vibefinale View Post
    I have my text messages from the agent as proof. They did not disclose the history of accident. They used the history of some different car to tell me that there was no history of accident. I can def prove it. So I guess I can get some compensation?
    What are you being compensated for? What are your damages? You wasted some time. Again, they will claim it is all a misunderstanding or the salesperson was confused or made a mistake. I don’t know what lawyer would take this case except one you paid by the hour so s/he could take advantage of you. But I have practiced law for only 25 years and am not an expert in consumer protection law.

My Cars
    x1 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    What are you being compensated for? What are your damages? You wasted some time. Again, they will claim it is all a misunderstanding or the salesperson was confused or made a mistake. I don’t know what lawyer would take this case except one you paid by the hour so s/he could take advantage of you. But I have practiced law for only 25 years and am not an expert in consumer protection law.
    well i found out before i was about to wire the money over. well since i found out before i did so, it is not considered scam?
    wow, what a fukin law we have in the states huh. doesnt this fall under professional liability in which you have to give full disclosure and present the right information about the car? I was presented with the wrong information?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    If the vin was different then you should return the car I would talk with the general manager then to bmwna.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by vibefinale View Post
    well i found out before i was about to wire the money over. well since i found out before i did so, it is not considered scam?
    wow, what a fukin law we have in the states huh. doesnt this fall under professional liability in which you have to give full disclosure and present the right information about the car? I was presented with the wrong information?
    How much money do you think the dealer should pay you for your inconvenience? You should definitely report them to BMW NA if it’s a dealer and anyone else who might do something, to help protect others but I don’t think you are going to get rewarded for their bad behavior that did not harm you.

My Cars
    Various junk

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Refrain from the profanity folks.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    2018 BMW 430i
    You don't have a civil case because there were no damages. You'd have to file a police report and then it's up to the district attorney to file criminal charges. You're wasting your time barking up that tree but you should definitely post your experience everywhere you can. If you're trying to 'get back' at them, that'll do it.