Thread: Advice - 2006 E61

My Cars
    09 Pilot

Advice - 2006 E61

I've got a friend that is looking to unload his 2006 E61. It's got 100k miles on it and he is the only owner. It's in good shape cosmetically and maintenance has been good. Not necessarily preventative but things have been addressed/repaired when they failed.

He's offering to sell it to me for $5k but it needs some work (based on the mechanic). List of work needed below:

Replace Transmission Pan Gasket
    Replace Oil Pan Gasket - Has shown leak for 2 years but has never had to add oil between oil changes so did not fix.
    Replace Serp Belt & Tensioner
    Replace Coolant Expansion Tank & Vent Overflow hose/pipe
    Replace Windshield Washer Pump

Likely items that will need replaced soon:
    Front Struts are starting to leak at top
    Spark Plugs & Ignition Coils will need replaced soon

Water Pump was replaced at 60k miles. Tires & brakes are basically new.

So, from what I can read, it seems like after this work is done, there shouldn't be too much that needs to be repaired on it for at least 50k miles. Right?

So, what do you guys think? Should I go for it?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Beware sunroof drains leaking into electronics under rear floor. Beware transmission valve body. Beware rear hatch hydraulics. All expensive repairs. Probably also needs some front control arm bushings. May need a wheel bearing before long.

Great cars and not very common. We have had our 08 E61 535xi for 8 years and it has 130k now. I figure ours is worth about $8k now, a lot less than the $39k we paid for it, but that was less than the $65k the original buyer paid. Not sure $5k is a steal but if it’s in really nice shape that is OK to pay for a 1 owner 100k mine car. Just realize you won’t be paying maintenance on a $5k car but on a $50k car.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 535xi
    I'd buy that for 5k all other things considered.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    Our experience with an 06, E61 was rough. We do love the car, and it is a pleasure to drive. However, the following all had to be replaced between 95K and 110K.

Transmission - $8k
    Fuel Pumps - $1100
    AC pump - $1300
    Rear shocks - $200 (I did labor)
    All disks/pads - $500 (I did all labor)
    Oil cooler gaskets - $20 (I did all labor)
    Liftgate pump - $30 (I did all labor)

We did run into the flooded battery compartment issue, but the simple solution was to pop the ends of the drain hoses off. The ends are well protected from the environment, and flushing them would be easy. Just pour water on the sunroof, and you can reach/massage the hose to knock any crud loose.

Almost 3 years ago, we purchased the car for $14k with 92K miles on it. However, you can see that repairs would have easily exceeded purchase value had we not added on an extended warranty ($3700) at time of purchase. What we have surmised is that at about 100K miles, numerous major system components just wear out. Now that we have replaced all the components, we expect another 100K miles with relatively few issues. This is a luxury vehicle with 50 processors, and 250 separate systems after all.

I would say that $5K is the right price with a perfect body, and clean interior, but have another $5k in reserve. Also, I recommend rebuild of the mechatronic valve body, not just a tranny flush. You can exchange a rebuilt body for about $1200. Considering you will have the cover off, labor to install would be an extra hour or two. Also replace the tranny filter. On the E61, the filter and pan are one unit. Cost is about $130.

Jose
    Last edited by DaHose; 03-12-2018 at 01:22 PM.
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    09 Pilot
    Thanks for the input. I had the previous owner do the Serp Belt/Tensioner & Coolant system work. I'll end up DIY or Indy the rest of the work. No water spots or signs of water in the spare tire compartment but I've already moved the electronics. Now I've just got to get the rubber grommets off the rear sunroof drains. Next on the list is to add Aux. Debating between RoskInc bluetooth/aux or GromAudio. I'll be searching forums but if anyone has any opinion, feel free to share.
    IMG_7892.jpgIMG_7890.jpg

My Cars
    Not a BMW that's for sur
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus81 View Post
    there shouldn't be too much that needs to be repaired on it for at least 50k miles. Right?
    I'd be happy to go one oil change interval without a repair (2010 E60 N54). In fact, during the first 50k of our car's life, it was in the shop multiple times a year, everything from wiper motors to injectors to oils leaks to steering angle sensors etc. All that sort of stuff that you'd think BMW would have figured out how to fix before the final year of manufacture. Last week it was back in the shop again, 64k miles, for more injectors, and now waiting for a new valve cover. The unreliability of these machines is astounding, and I still need to budget for a water pump, belt, tensioner and turbos in the next 35k. I just can't trust it to go very far out of state; for that I take our Outback with 175k miles on it. In the meantime I'm saving up for a Kia Stinger, whenever the used ones start to get on the market.

Oh yes, you should consider that you'll need new turbos soon. If you do the work yourself .... $1000 or so for a rebuilt pair? You can also expect various cooling system plastics to turn brittle and break. If you're not inclined to turn wrenches yourself and have a spare car, then I would at least suggest an extended warrranty. At the cost of about $2k/year it should give you an idea of what you're up against.

It's a wonderful car to drive though ... when it works it works well, and you'll have the coveted wagon; too bad it's not the manual that commands very good used prices.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    The 06 has an N52 engine Norskie. No turbo's. Although all the other concerns are there. Ours had that spate of stuff when it clocked over the 100K mile mark. It has been a pleasure to have and drive the past year. Last thing that was an issue, was a leaking oil filter gasket, which made a mess in the engine bay. Some cleaner and a garden hose was all I needed to clean up the mess. We have seen an intermittent check engine light with no apparent cause. That makes me think it is time to change out the ignition coils. A lot of random electrical errors can happen when the coils get brittle and crack, which results in arcing to the cylinder head.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!