Thread: And so it ends... the 544iT is for sale

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

And so it ends... the 544iT is for sale

For you veteran BFc members who'll recall the build thread, the arctic roadtrip, the existential crisis, and other events in this car's 9 years with me, Sleipnir (aka Deeper, based on its previous license plate) needs no introduction.

Otherwise, here is the Millennium Falcon of E34s.

It began life as a 4/93 530iTA, entered my garage in 2009 and gestated for 9 months like a baby, before emerging as a 544iTM around January '10. Since then it's been my daily driver, sometimes only driver, sometimes only shelter of any kind. I have a lot of memories and sentimental value attached to this car, and the only way I justify getting rid of it is that there's a black hardtop six-cylinder replacement in the works.

But enough rambling, here's the info that doesn't show up in pics...

Powertrain:
    - M62B44 running on stock M60 electronics and DUDMD chip. It is bone stock except for a Dinan airbox trumpet, an M60B40 intake manifold, and M60B30 exhaust (very quiet in normal driving, sings when you want it to). Every oil, air, and coolant seal on the engine, except the headgaskets, was replaced with OE (mostly Reinz) about 8 years ago.
    - UUC lightweight single-mass flywheel (about 15lb) and stock Sachs E31 280mm sprung-hub clutch.
    - Getrag S6S 420G 6-speed. Synchros are stiff, not crunchy, until warmed up.
    - 3.15 LSD out of a 750iL. Groans in tight turns when cold. Does what it says, locks up under power.
    - 540i axles and hubs.

Front axle:
    - Lemförder lower arms, replaced December '14.
    - Lemförder upper arms with M5 bushings, replaced July '10.
    - Bilstein HD shocks, January '10.
    - Eibach springs, July '10.
    - Ireland Engineering adjustable camber plates, July '10.
    - Late-production M5 25mm swaybar 31352227276, January '10.
    - Tierods, center link, idler arm replaced January '15.

Rear axle:
    - M5 trailing arms. New SKF wheelbearings installed May '12.
    - M5 Touring N'Ring 20mm swaybar 33552227416, January '10.
    - Bilstein HD shocks, replaced October '12.
    - Stock 530iT springs.
    - Subframe mounts replaced June '10.
    - Lemförder dogbones replaced February '10.

Body/interior/other:
    - Forged Style 20 17x8 wheels, Dunlop Signature HP 245/45R17 tires installed June '15 and removed for winters. About 80% tread.
    - Sunroof deleted, correct headliner recovered in black fake suede, along with the pillar panels.
    - Black 1995/M5 sideskirts with correct door trim.
    - Plastic-free radiator, replaced November '16. Heatercore replaced October '10.
    - Weighs about 3650# empty, about 150# less than stock 530iT.
    - 266k miles on the body (58k in my possession), ~210k on the engine and transmission.

The good:
    - It drives really well. Hauls ass and sounds good doing it. Flywheel really wakes up the V8. Trans shifts great when warm. Steers much sharper than stock even with camber plates at zero.
    - It's reliable. In 8 years of adventures it left me stranded once, due to a neglected oilfilter o-ring that was my fault. And some wiring melted down due to a factory defect, since corrected.
    - Much of it is 8 years old or younger. Shifter, alternator, entire front end, entire cooling system, all engine seals...
    - It's well-maintained. Engine oil has been exclusively top-shelf full-synthetic since early 2010, most recently Mobil 1 0W40 in January '18. BMW blue coolant last changed November '16. Brakes flushed December '14. Spark plugs NGK BKR6EK changed January '15. Diff oil Mobil 1 75W90 changed February '18. Fuel and air filters January '18. Serp belts November '14.
    - It's very versatile, not a one-trick pony, performs a lot of missions very well. That's made it hard to justify getting rid of.
    - Engine is flawless. No leaks, no smoke, consumes oil something like half a quart in 10k miles.
    - Front end and steering are flawless. Tracks straight up to 240kph.
    - It gets decent mileage considering the size, age, and power. ~16 city, ~22-25 highway, 21.6mpg long-term average.

The bad:
    - Faint driveline vibration at 20mph. The driveshaft was rebalanced in November '15 with a new OE CSB, but they left the pilot bushing.
    - One brake rotor slightly warped.
    - Rear-end shimmy, most likely the trailing arm bushings.
    - Heater valves stick sometimes.

The ugly:
    - See pics. Lotsa dings, one dent, lotsa scratches and random blemishes, bad clearcoat on the roof, horrid paint on the front end. No functional damage (door brakes all ok).
    - Cracked windshield (Montana car) that doesn't show up in pics. It's visible but doesn't obscure vision.
    - Some clipped wires hanging around in places, tucked away. They were too much trouble to remove and don't connect to anything.
    - Carpet dye worked ok on the main carpets, but not the knee panels and cargo area.

The miscellaneous:
    - Data link system is disabled. That system melting down from an unfused connection was the closest it's come to breaking down, and resulted in the aforementioned clipped wiring.
    - Chime disabled.
    - Oil level sensor disabled.
    - ASC disabled, rewired for ABS that works.
    - No cruise control.
    - Previous interior, and the 2.65 diff I had for a while, are staying with me for this car's sequel.

Located near Portland, OR. I can deliver it anywhere in North America.

I've debated for a while what to ask for it. The ~20-25k in it I'm never going to get back. Its top 10 major parts - powertrain and footwork, mostly - add up to somewhere over 4k. I neither want to part it out, nor think it should be parted out (unless it's a body swap), nor have the facilities. Cosmetically it's a rat rod. Functionally it's pretty damn good, an assembled whole worth more than the sum of its parts. Call it $4500.
    Last edited by moroza; 03-12-2018 at 05:31 AM.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    $4500? Sheesh. I like to think this would pull more in an auction format. I really would, else mine is certainly worth less

Pretty awesome car and a unique build, good luck with the sale! My wife best be super grateful I don't have the liquid funds right now...
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    Glad you've got another e34 project on the horizon, but sad to see this go. I've been following your post since a b40/6 swap was just a twinkle in my eye, and those post as well as other's on here helped make mine a reality. Good luck!

My Cars
    Five of them
    Dammit!! I have wanted this car for so long and now I don’t have have room!!
    Cars:

03 540 M Sport 6 speed
    89 Chrysler Conquest TSI
    94 NA Miata Black&Tan
    04 Porsche Carrera Cab speed
    67 MK2 Spitfire w GT6 Drivetrain
    63 VW Beetle

and a minivan

My Cars
    94 540/6 touring
    I see things are progressing well since we last spoke. Good luck with your sale.

My Cars
    1995 540i & 1996 328i
    Good luck, if I come into some money I'll definitely take It off your hands

My Cars
    are slow
    Cosmetically run down E34 wagons look so charming.

BaT and I bet you'll make more than asking

My Cars
    E34T
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    $4500? Sheesh. I like to think this would pull more in an auction format. I really would, else mine is certainly worth less

Pretty awesome car and a unique build, good luck with the sale! My wife best be super grateful I don't have the liquid funds right now...
    Yours is prettier, I think?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Montalbon View Post
    Glad you've got another e34 project on the horizon, but sad to see this go. I've been following your post since a b40/6 swap was just a twinkle in my eye, and those post as well as other's on here helped make mine a reality. Good luck!
    I'll still be around. E34 is the car that got me into cars, I've owned five of them (four of which were MY 1994 wagons), and while I'm Benz-curious (E39 too), I see no reason to change anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPEBOY View Post
    Dammit!! I have wanted this car for so long and now I don’t have have room!!
    Sorry, bad timing. Are you still trying to sell one of the existing E34T?

Quote Originally Posted by blacktusktourin View Post
    I see things are progressing well since we last spoke. Good luck with your sale.
    Hi Rick!

Quote Originally Posted by Billyj View Post
    Good luck, if I come into some money I'll definitely take It off your hands
    As long as you don't weld the diff.

Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    Cosmetically run down E34 wagons look so charming.

BaT and I bet you'll make more than asking
    I thought about BaT, but I don't like their policies - $100 listing fee (a lot when you're unemployed), too much has to go through intermediaries, 7-day limit...

My Cars
    Five of them
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post

I'll still be around. E34 is the car that got me into cars, I've owned five of them (four of which were MY 1994 wagons), and while I'm Benz-curious (E39 too), I see no reason to change anytime soon.

Sorry, bad timing. Are you still trying to sell one of the existing E34T?

Hi Rick!

As long as you don't weld the diff.

I thought about BaT, but I don't like their policies - $100 listing fee (a lot when you're unemployed), too much has to go through intermediaries, 7-day limit...
    Sold the manual one now I just have the other. Interested?
    Cars:

03 540 M Sport 6 speed
    89 Chrysler Conquest TSI
    94 NA Miata Black&Tan
    04 Porsche Carrera Cab speed
    67 MK2 Spitfire w GT6 Drivetrain
    63 VW Beetle

and a minivan

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Eh- it's all one color but there is a bit of rust and clear-coat failure. I was really speaking in black and white functionality; this car is very unique and would cost more than $4500 to replicate. Then again, I know most don't think that way and when it comes to BMWs, paint and interior are king.

Yeah, BaT wouldn't get past the exterior- too snobby for that.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    Need Something

And so it begins... the 544iT is MINE!

Bought.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Commence thread immediately! And congratulations to buyer and seller.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com