My Cars
    2002 BMW X5

Locked Out of My Own Beamer!

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster.

October of 2017, I bought my 2002 X5 from a private owner.

The biggest issues I'm having now is the other day, my car would not unlock (I'm sure that the battery on the remote unlock had died) and unfortunately, the seller notified me that he did not have a master key (The way I understand it, the key that I have will only start the ignition and electronically unlock the doors - NOT manually/physically work in the keyholes on the doors.

I freaked out because having to be in work, I said to myself "Okay, let me call Triple A and then figure the rest out". So I did that, they opened the passenger door and then the lights started flashing. I started the car no worries and went on to work.

Come to realize that now:
    1. I cannot open any door besides the driver side from the outside.
    2. I am locked out of my tailgate (Have not tried manual release valve yet)
    3. The middle lock button no longer works.
    4. Although I have tried the ignition reset/reprogram the "holding the lock button and pressing the unlock button three times after taking out of ignition" does NO LONGER work.

I had gone through and checked all fuses associated with the central locking system, however I did not find any blown fuses.
    Now that I am processing all this information in written form, it sounds to me that I may have tripped the security system and it is now functioning this way because of that.

My question to the forums is obvious:
    What are my cheapest and most efficient options to be able to lock my car with confidence again?

The previous owner mentioned purchasing a new set of door lock cylinder for the driver side so that I would be able to open the car manually in case this were ever to happen again.
    https://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ss...35-421&x=0&y=0

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
    Andrew

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Generally what I've seen with e53 x5's is the remote key stops working the the customer unlocks the drivers door manually, over time the linkage piece between the door lock tumbler and the latch breaks