Thread: ALPINA B7 Intercooler Removal

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver

ALPINA B7 Intercooler Removal

Does anyone have any info on Intercooler Removal. Specifically, can this thing be removed without having to disconnect the A/C condenser lines, and all the other pieces attached to it? , or (hopefully not, fingers crossed), does that whole unit (Intercooler. condenser, pentosin cooler, oil cooler, radiator, electric fan) need to come out as one piece?

I sure hope ALPINA didn't start with the intercooler, and build the rest of the car around it.

Thanks in advance.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    We have 5 BMW's (Cars)
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    Does anyone have any info on Intercooler Removal. Specifically, can this thing be removed without having to disconnect the A/C condenser lines, and all the other pieces attached to it? , or (hopefully not, fingers crossed), does that whole unit (Intercooler. condenser, pentosin cooler, oil cooler, radiator, electric fan) need to come out as one piece?

I sure hope ALPINA didn't start with the intercooler, and build the rest of the car around it.

Thanks in advance.
    No worries.

Neither of us are suffering in the "toys to drive" department

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Okay, here is the update:
    The intercooler, radiator and electric fan assembly do NOT need to be removed to change and alternator, or to do the dreaded bracket seal.
    You will need to remove the supercharger WITH the base. You will also need to drain the radiator and remove the upper radiator hose assembly. Also the tensioners need to be removed. Drop the power steering pump, I drained the PENTOSIN, since the hose from the canister to the pump will need to be disconnected as well. The engine will need to be lifted on the left side so you can get your hands in there to remove all the bolts. You need to remove the left engine mount (there is a hidden bolt behind the mount). The rear two engine support bolts can be accessed from the wheel well (remove wheel). I raised the engine about 2 inches, and it wasn't an issue then.
    The alternator can be removed from the TOP (remember to disconnect the NEGATIVE post on the battery, or you will have yourself a real nifty arc-welder. I was moving along at a pretty good clip, but when I removed the alternator bracket and saw that someone had already "worked" on the seal, my brain exploded!

Seems that a previous owner complained about an oil leak, and someone went through all that trouble to disassemble everything, but instead of purchasing a NEW BMW seal for $3, they reused the old seal and crammed a bunch of RTV into the groove, set the seal and coated the exposed seal with more RTV. That person needs to be found, and flogged with an old, oily hose!

All in all, everything worked out fine, no more leaks, engine cleaned, and smile permanently affixed to my face again....

IMG_5287.jpg

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    08 B7, MB SLK,Marai
    How long did it take to R&R the alternator?

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    R&R for just the alternator (excluding beer breaks) was just under 2 hours - I originally thought it would be a lot worse, since the YouTube videos mention removal of the electric fan. There is just enough room to pull it up through the top. By leaving the electric fan assembly in place, it actually protects the aluminum fins of the radiator/intercooler.

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    08 B7, MB SLK,Marai
    Was it your intention to fix a leak or to replace the alternator? If the alternator, what were the symptoms? My car went wild over the weekend. I suspect the battery even though it's only one year old. Lots of codes.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    The initial intent was to fix the bracket leak, as it started getting quite noticeable. The alternator was totally drenched in oil and failed 4 days before I was going to do the repair, so I killed two birds with one stone. You can tell your alternator is going bad by the "GENERATOR FAULT" message on the cluster, and by reading the voltage while the engine is running - should be at a minimum of 13.8V, but can go up to 14.2V. It was reading 11.9V output, so the alternator wasn't charging any longer.

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III