Thread: 2006 330i non CA key

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i

2006 330i non CA key

So I have been evaluating my options for an additional key along with dealing with my original key when the battery starts to die. Seems like through my limited research that there are a few options and none of them appear to be bullet proof other than going to the dealership. So I am mapping out a plan but first I have a few points to make that may be disputed.

* The dealership is the only place that can truly guarantee or has 100% confidence of getting a key
    * Even when the battery is dead and gone the key will still start the car.
    * The key is not designed to have the battery changed.
    * Used Keys cannot be programmed to another vehicle (For less $ than a replacement from the dealership).
    * If you dismantle an original Key and move the guts to a new cover with the replacement battery option there is a chance that you will lose the remote functions. This is my biggest concern.

So with this info at hand my plan is this:

* When my remote becomes questionable or my OCD becomes overwelming I will pay the dealership for a new key with cut key as well (Roughly $350.00)
    * I will purchase (Already Done) a new key cover with the replacable battery (Battery ordered as well) option and transfer internals being sure to check all solder joints and functionality.
    * I will then test and report the status of my conversion to this forum.

Pros/Cons

* Dealership key is expensive but confidence is high on success rate.
    * If the new case and replaceable battery conversion is successful then I will finally have a backup key and I will secure a second case for the future if the dealership key battery dies.
    * The only risk is a few bucks wasted on batteries and key covers and the loss of the backup key with no features other than being able to start the car.

I am sure there are opinions abound along with experience so I am interested.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The dealer ship is the only place to get a real key one that will work with the car unless you are going to try and repair it your self

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i
    I agree, as stated when the second key desire becomes overwhelming or necessary I will purchase a new key, from the dealership, to insure that i always have access. I will split the case on the original key and carefully remove the internals and transfer them to the new serviceable case I purchased from eBay. During the process I will install a new battery and I will check all solder joints to insure the internals are not damaged. I will put the OE components in the new cover and perform a function test. Naturally I will report the results. The chip, as I understand it, requires no power to start the car and therefore unless I damage it, the key should still start the car. Therefore the only risk is weather or not the new battery and subsequent re-powering of the internals will allow the remote functions to resume working. Internet searches have revealed both success and failure on this matter with only opinions to determine if the person performing the conversion was competent along with many other variables. I see this as a low risk considering the cover and battery are of very low cost <$20 and as long as I do not damage the internals should still start the car, I have already lost the remote function, I will have the steel key so as stated low downside and I still have a backup. This could prove to be benefiticial tall others that have or wish to avoid paying the dealership a roughly $300 for a key. Seems virtually no-lose to me.

Charlie Lamar
    Ringgold, GA

My Cars
    1986 e30, 2006 e90 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by calpbs View Post
    So I have been evaluating my options for an additional key along with dealing with my original key when the battery starts to die. Seems like through my limited research that there are a few options and none of them appear to be bullet proof other than going to the dealership. So I am mapping out a plan but first I have a few points to make that may be disputed.

* The dealership is the only place that can truly guarantee or has 100% confidence of getting a key
    * Even when the battery is dead and gone the key will still start the car.
    * The key is not designed to have the battery changed.
    * Used Keys cannot be programmed to another vehicle (For less $ than a replacement from the dealership).
    * If you dismantle an original Key and move the guts to a new cover with the replacement battery option there is a chance that you will lose the remote functions. This is my biggest concern.

So with this info at hand my plan is this:

* When my remote becomes questionable or my OCD becomes overwelming I will pay the dealership for a new key with cut key as well (Roughly $350.00)
    * I will purchase (Already Done) a new key cover with the replacable battery (Battery ordered as well) option and transfer internals being sure to check all solder joints and functionality.
    * I will then test and report the status of my conversion to this forum.

Pros/Cons

* Dealership key is expensive but confidence is high on success rate.
    * If the new case and replaceable battery conversion is successful then I will finally have a backup key and I will secure a second case for the future if the dealership key battery dies.
    * The only risk is a few bucks wasted on batteries and key covers and the loss of the backup key with no features other than being able to start the car.

I am sure there are opinions abound along with experience so I am interested.
    I own a 2006 e90 330i for more than a year. I have 2 keyfobs and one of them was showing its age form wear and tear. I ordered an empty case from China for USD7+(doesnt come with the bmw logo haha). Easy to change, just use a utility knife to pry the old one and transfer all the innards to the new one and snap shut. I alternate both key every 6 months to get them charged up. So far no issue.