Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Experience with this Rear Window?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster

Any Experience with this Rear Window?

My rear window is in desperate need for a replacement. After browsing through some OEM parts and deciding I didn't want to spend over 300 dollars for a piece of plastic I checked ebay and came across this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Z3-M-RO...ZRhR3d&vxp=mtr

Anyone tried it? Would be nice to have a tinted window so I could finally get my other two windows tinted.
    Germanik

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8
    Looks like the E-Miata window. Very good quality if you like the glued in trim around the window. I've used both it, and the OEM, and both install the same. The E-Miata is a lot less expensive.
    z3window.asp

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    It is the Emiata window per that link.
    http://www.emiata.com/z3window.asp
    Made and sold by Rothenbacher in NC, whose info is at bottom of this page:
    http://www.emiata.com
    Vendors buy the Emiata windows and resell them for profit on eBay.

Some prefer the Emiata with its glued canvas trim over the original which has a plastic channel trim. The Emiata is certainly less expensive, and maybe a little easier to get zipped in, but care must be used in gluing the trim.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...5#post22334895
    Last edited by Vintage42; 03-08-2018 at 08:09 PM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Oh wow that's so much cheaper than an OEM replacement. Thanks for the responses guys. Hopefully no more trunk leaks and some tinted windows after the window install.
    Germanik

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    Some prefer the Emiata with its glued canvas trim over the original which has a plastic channel trim. The Emiata is certainly less expensive, and maybe a little easier to get zipped in, but care must be used in gluing the trim.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...5#post22334895
    I posted that back in 2011, and my emiata window is still going strong. Since then I've installed another in another M Roadster, and it too is going strong. The key is taking your time in the install and being careful with the glue (and buying extra glue).

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Does the glued down trim make the window hard to replace in the future versus stock? I was thinking about trying this one: http://www.z3window.com/

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanik View Post
    ... Hopefully no more trunk leaks... after the window install.
    The rear window is not known for leaking, and if it did, the water would show up in the car more than in the trunk. Water in the trunk usually comes from the 3rd brake light or the sealing ring around the base of the soft top. Lay some newspaper in the trunk to see if the brake light leaks.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I know. I already fixed the third brake light leak. The sealing around the soft top and rear window is separated and is leaking from there. I get water in the car a little too.
    Germanik

My Cars
    '10 GTI / '98 Roadster
    I'm getting ready to order the emiata window, but I'm leaning towards getting the tinted one. I may or may not tint the other windows, so I'm trying to figure out how odd it may look if I do not tint the rest of them. Can anyone that has purchased the tinted emiata window comment on how dark it actually is? Pics would be even better.

My Cars
    '10 GTI / '98 Roadster
    I just wanted to answer my own question here in case anyone is curious in the future.

I went ahead and ordered/received the tinted version of the emiata window. Have not installed it yet, but I am very happy with the level of tint. It's not dark at all; I'd say it's about a 20-25% tint. I think it's going to look fine with or without tinting the other windows.

Pictures will be posted once it's warm enough to install.

My Cars
    2000 BMW z3
    My rear window is in desperate need for a replacement. After browsing through some OEM parts and deciding I didn't want to spend over 300 dollars for a piece of plastic I checked ebay and came across this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Z3-M-RO...ZRhR3d&vxp=mtr

Anyone tried it? Would be nice to have a tinted window so I could finally get my other two windows tinted.
    That's pretty steep. I bought a clear type on eBay from some outfit outta Germany for 80 bux, free ship, took about 10 days. They had green, gray, blue etc tints from $120 IIRC. It was ez install - unzip old, zip in new, apply glue, done. That was last Feb 2017. Looks great, doesn't leak, can't say much else. I plan to apply 303 aerospace protectant on it. If you want the link I can post it later.
    Last edited by Jay11; 03-22-2018 at 02:43 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I finally got my car back from the body shop to fix the front bumper after I destroyed a raccoon on the road. I have the emiata window sitting in my house ready to install. So just unzip, zip in the new, and where do we glue? It didn't come with instructions. Also, any glue will do?
    Germanik

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    You'd better do your research--it's not a simple task and can go very very wrong very very quickly. If the window didn't come with glue, instructions, zippers, and a little plastic thingy, there's something wrong. The glue is a sort of concentrated rubber cement.

My Cars
    '00 Z3 roadster 2.3
    The emiata window I got a couple of years ago I think came with a tube rubber cement. Maybe these days you get your own tube?

Also, somebody asked about the glue part making the window more difficult to come off. Not really. Factually, at least in y case, I have to re-apply glue every couple of years here and there, particularly after Winter, when evrything shrinks a tad.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8
    You should have received instructions, and a baggy containing Contact cement, a zipper pull, thread, and a needle. Attached is what should have been included. For anyone interested, I am donating an eMiata window for the auction at Z-Fest. I bought one, and changed my mind and went with the OEM window. Might be a low cost way for someone to replace their rear window. All you gotta do is go to Z-Fest and bid.

EMiata_Instr1.jpgEMiata_Instr2.jpgEMiata_Instr3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Read through this thread before starting https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ned&p=22334895

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Got my window installed last night, was really difficult with two people but once I grabbed a third it was done in no time. Unfortunately, I have the diagonals in my window and the instructions state that if this results something wasn't lined up properly. The window looks way way better but I was hoping I could fix those diagonals. The instructions say you have to align the window properly so that this won't happen but as far as I could tell everything lined up fine. Anyone know what I am talking about? I can post a pic if needed.

Thanks for all the help so far on the window though, you guys are always a big help here.
    Germanik

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8
    If you have diagonals, you did not start the zipper at the same location as the original. You would need to unzip the window, and restart zipping but offsetting the starting tooth one notch over. Only way to remove the diagonals.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Yup, it's a tooth or two off and must be unzipped and rezipped until it comes out right.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Yup, it's a tooth or two off and must be unzipped and rezipped until it comes out right.
    Are you referring to the teeth on the zipper?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Germanik

My Cars
    2000 m roadster
    Before you removed your old window, you should have marked exactly which tooth it started on.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I think the reason I didn't was because my dad put the first replaced window in back in 04 and it was already not perfect. Any ways to adjust it other than trial and error?
    Germanik

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    With the OE window, I start both the window and the top on the 1st tooth, and it always lays smooth.

I also ring both the window and the top with the zipper before trying to mate them together; it helps make the teeth stand proud.

Plus, I use two (2) zippers, one a little ways behind the other so it doesn't pull away at the corners before you get it all the way fastened.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    With the OE window, I start both the window and the top on the 1st tooth, and it always lays smooth.

I also ring both the window and the top with the zipper before trying to mate them together; it helps make the teeth stand proud.

Plus, I use two (2) zippers, one a little ways behind the other so it doesn't pull away at the corners before you get it all the way fastened.
    How do you mean- ring the window and the top?

The emiata kit also came with twk zippers and both were installed. Just a semi hard to see diagonak in the middle.

Thanks

Germanik

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    How do you mean- ring the window and the top?

The emiata kit also came with twk zippers and both were installed. Just a semi hard to see diagonak in the middle.

Thanks

Before you try to connect them, pass the zipper around each half of the track__it lifts/straightens the teeth.

Avoid over-handling the leading edge, as it tends to fray too easily. Promotes getting it right on the first try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast