Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear Subframe Attach Reinforcement Brace

My Cars
    '97 M3
    The rear subframe mods are all installed.

I have a bunch more to do at the front of the car so I don’t get to test it just yet.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Well, she is finally back on the road. As usual there are a couple of loose ends to finish up but at least I’m driving it.

Now on to the good stuff. Initial impression of the rear subframe forward attach point reinforcements is that the car feels like the engine is directly connected to the wheels. This car has never felt like this as long as I’ve owned it. It’s a massive improvement. I have not had a change to do a hard launch yet but I did a rolling second gear burnout by punching it in second with the traction control turned off. It was smooth and straight. The RE71Rs didn’t have a chance at holding that.

More to come, I’ll put the GoPro under the back of the car to compare before and after subframe movement....

My Cars
    95 s/cM3,93 332is turbo,96 chevy dually, 73 camaro
    Where do I place my order? Hope you or someone comes up with a kit for the rest of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I made templates.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I’ve been scared to do a hard launch, just incase are the rear subframe attach work didn’t fix the hop, but......... she is tight. Those poor RE71Rs got lit up a bunch of times from a launch first at 2000 rpm, then 3000 rpm and then close to 4500 rpm just to be brutal. Nice smooth black stripes and only a slight remenisant feeling of hop as it was bouncing off the rev limiter (not hop). Yay, I finally won that battle. Screw you hop!

My Cars
    98 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    I’ve been scared to do a hard launch, just incase are the rear subframe attach work didn’t fix the hop, but......... she is tight. Those poor RE71Rs got lit up a bunch of times from a launch first at 2000 rpm, then 3000 rpm and then close to 4500 rpm just to be brutal. Nice smooth black stripes and only a slight remenisant feeling of hop as it was bouncing off the rev limiter (not hop). Yay, I finally won that battle. Screw you hop!
    Huge success man!

I think your chassis was in need of it. Still amazed you popped those welds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I think the popped spot welds are more common than people think. People just aren’t looking for them. Another local guy was ribbing me about the crack and spot welds so I looked in his car and pointed out the popped spot welds in his car. His is a 328 that he uses for HPDE and is NA.

My Cars
    95 M3, 15 Golf TDI wagon
    I finally got the reinforcements installed along with the subframe, suspension, diff and gas tank. I’m also halfway through modifying an e46 M3 finned diff cover for the 210 diff in the e36 subframe.

I still have a bunch of stuff to do but at least I have some progress.

Those two holes in the part that drops down. Do they mount to the subframe?

You should have a guy like Rally Road remake these and give you some money for your design.

Or I'd gladly buy this from you. You did a great job and I am glad it fixed your issue.

-WTB: OEM Class 2 LTW GT wing with risers- Mazak

My Cars
    '97 M3
    The two holes in the black piece bolt through the angle side of the subframe attach box section to stop it from flexing up and down at the narrow section where the driveshaft passes through. Mine flexed so bad that I had a five inch long crack there. It still flexed like crazy even after welding up the crack and the popped spot welds and all the additional spot welds I added.

The only two down sides from this mod so far are the additional weight (sorry Jaker) and I get a bit more driveline noise because there is a 1/4” thick strip of rubber sandwiched between the brace and the forward part of the subframe. The back seat kills most of the noise though.
    Last edited by chikinhed; 05-19-2019 at 01:32 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    When does production start for the reinforcement kit?

My Cars
    1993 325is
    The only down side from this mod so far are the additional weight (sorry Jaker).
    Last edited by jakermac; 07-13-2018 at 03:40 PM.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I will personally inspect your car for cracks if you’d like

My Cars
    2x E46M & 3x E36M
    more pics of e46m cover project? i'm working on the same thing right now, just 3d printed my first prototype.

you got me wanting to cut off the bottom of my subframe now.... just when i thought i was almost done with this project lol

check out my eBay store
    E30 - E36 - E39 - E46 - E60 - E92

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I was just reading an article in muscle mustangs & fast fords on subframe braces. Basically from subframe to a suspension mounting point to the rocker on on each side. Have not looked to see whether this could be done on our cars. Goal was to reduce wheel hop. Mustang subframe was observed moving 1/2 inch up and down under extreme stress.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 07-16-2018 at 11:38 PM.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    The diff cover project will continue. I’m almost at the end of my ‘busy’ season so I can start playing with it again. The next step is make a mounting spot for the VSS. It will be a bunch of cutting and welding and drilling.

That’s good to hear that stiffening up the attach points also works for other chassis out there. The car did well on the track, no strange behaviours.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    When does production start for the reinforcement kit?
    Ah yes, I remember being asked that very same question about fourteen (>14) years ago!

And just like chikenhed, it all came about as a desire to fix my own cars, and then other enthusiasts wanting to do the same thing. Barely a year later, I had to quit my day job, so the reinforcement business holds a lot of promise!

Good job!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12