Thread: $2,800 at Lease End? Am I being screwed?

My Cars
    BMW 528i

$2,800 at Lease End? Am I being screwed?

I have a 2015 528i that I leased new from the dealer. This was a 3 year lease at 30K total miles. I went to turn in my lease this evening and was shocked they wanted to hit me with a $2,800 bill for a car in what I consider great shape. To make matters worse, this is the SAME dealership I leased the vehicle from. I would of thought they would be more reasonable to their own lease customer in the hopes of keeping my business.

Here's where the charges are coming from:

1.) My tires were getting old and I knew BMW would hit me with a charge if I didn't replace them. I replaced them with new tires a few weeks ago. I did not know they apparently needed to be "Run Flat" tires. Because these new tires on my car are not "run flat", bmw is hitting me with $300 per tire for a total of $1,200.

2.) They are charging me $400 fr the front bumper. The guy marked down scratches on the passenger side lower portion and scuffs UNDER the front bumper (who the heck doesn't have scuffs under the bumper)??? Wouldn't these be normal wear and tear? pics attached:

3.) There are a couple scrapes/chips in the rear driver side (these are visible, but small). They are charging me $400 for these. I was also assuming these would be normal wear and tear, but admittedly, this was something I thought might come up during the inspection. I just thought It would be close enough to "okay" that I could get by with them. What do you think? Pics attached:

4.) I am being charged $300 for "Curb Rash" on my Drivers side rear tire. Again, wouldn't this fall under normal wear and tear? Pic attached:

$350 for the lease end fee
    $147 for over mileage
    (Both of these are fine)

Total after the pre-inspection is $2,797

I am going back tomorrow (or friday) to officially turn in the vehicle. This is when they do the final official inspection, but I don't anticipate it being any better as it's the same dealership.

Anyone have experience with unreasonable charges when turning in your BMW lease?

What do you guys think about #1-#4. What would be the best way to dispute these?

Thanks for any help!!!

My Cars
    2000 540i6, 2008 535xiT
    Your photos aren't showing, if they were I could give a little insight here.

Garage Queen: Biarritz Blue 540i6
    Daily Driver: Burger Tuned Titan Silver 535xiT
    Sold: RHD Steel Blue E46 328i
    Sold: 2006 Black Sapphire M5

My Cars
    2018 BMW 430i Coupe
    I think this is not reasonable. In leasing a car, you should have the lease end protection where it will help you eliminate the worry of excess wear and teach charges at the time of your lease turn-in. Some dealers offers purchase coverage within 90 days of vehicles purchase or lease with up to $5000 in coverage.

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    you could...

1) Take the car back to where you got the tires from and put run-flats on it. If the mileage is less than 1000 miles, the tire shop should pro-rate the tires for you. I've done this a couple of times at Discount Tire just because I didn't like the ride/handling of tires. Just explain the situation to them. Alternatively, you could buy run-flats and sell the current tires on Craigslist.
    2) The bumper stuff can be cleaned up at a place that fixes dents & hail marks for much less that what BMW is charging you.
    3) Lastly, the curb-rash is easy to fix with some sandpaper, and silver touch up paint. (The place that fixes the dents might do it as well)

After you've done all this, take the car back to BMW and see what they say. Hopefully they would waive all the fees.

My Cars
    It's not unreasonable at all. The dealership is going to have to fix every one of the items they are charging you for. They cannot certify that car without runflats. They will be replacing and trashing those tires you had installed. They will repaint both front and rear bumpers due to the scratches. And they will have the wheel repaired. Their prices may be retail, and twice what they would cost you elsewhere. You could have it all done yourself before you turn it in. If you do decide to replace the tires, you better make sure they are BMW OEM approved!
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Cheapest tires Walmart had on a BMW

and yes, all very reasonable to expect to get billed for those items.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    and, in an incredible twist of irony <sarcasm> a Walmart Ad for Dimax Tires is now showing up on my Facebook newsfeed, because I googled them to see how cheap they were