Thread: Passenger windows / Rear driver window - NOT Working . Driver works . Any idea ?

My Cars
    2x 850i auto / manual

Question Passenger windows / Rear driver window - NOT Working . Driver works . Any idea ?

Hey guys ! Passenger windows and the rear driver window don't work . But the driver window works . Any idea fellas ? My rear window is stuck open now and it's supposed to rain tomorrow

1991 auto 850i

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Check relays in the driver's side trunk. Swap around if needed. They should be orange/brown. There are about 3 or 4 of them.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    The driver and passenger side windows have their own power supply and protection circuit. If something is wrong with it (bad fuse, bad relay), the entire side will be dead like is the case with your passenger side windows. Double check fuse F34 in the rear power distribution box. If okay, do as toomanyparts suggested: Swap the K15 and K30 power protection relays (the 2 orange relays sitting next to each other on the top row of the rear power distribution box). If the problem now switches sides, one of both relays is bad.

As to what may cause the driver side rear window to be inoperative, I'm not sure at the moment. Clearly the driver side fuses and power protection relay are fine because the driver side front window works.

Can you close the driver side rear window with the key in the door lock (keep the key in the lock position to automatically close any open windows and sunroof).

My Cars
    2x 850i auto / manual
    Thank you fellas !!! I'm on it first thing in the AM

Back window will not close with the key in the door being held in lock , I know the procedure , I tried it , didn't work . Will try the relays , will update !

My Cars
    2x 850i auto / manual
    So , update - both relays and fuse are good . Guaranteed . I used the relays from my other e31 , they work on it , his does not work on that one . Anything else I should check ? PS there was some moisture inside the cabin when the door windows stopped working , middle compartment area , what's inside the cabin that can cause that issue ? Any help is appreciated !

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    TheShark850: When you operate the non-working windows, do you hear relays clicking in the luggage compartment (K15/K30 power protection relays) and in the lower driver-side door sill (A5 relay module)? You may need a silent environment for this or a second person listening close to the relays in the trunk.

About the moisture... Maybe the windows/sunroof had not closed entirely resulting in some morning condensation? Or was it around the center console - especially the carpet below the center console? That could point at a leaking heater core (not uncommon on these cars).

But now that you've mentioned moisture, you may want to inspect the A5 relay module (RM) which is responsible for operating the power windows motors. It resides underneath the driver-side door sill carpet. There have been a few cases where clogged sunroof drain pipes caused water ingress into the door sills causing corrosion damage to the modules there. Instructions to get access to the A5 relay module.

My Cars
    2x 850i auto / manual
    Revtor , I love you bud (no I haven't fixed my issue yet as I JUST read your response , but you gave me something new to look at) .

So far the update is this , I've replaced EVERY SINGLE RELAY in the fuse boxes , engine bay and trunk , nothing , I've replaced the General module - nothing again . I've replaced EVERY SINGLE fuse in both boxes - nothing again . So it HAS TO BE what you pointed out , I'm going to go change it right now (I have a second 850 so I've been interchanging all those relays and modules . So I'll update when I do check it !

My Cars
    2x 850i auto / manual
    Yes !!! That's the issue . It seemed like it was in water for a bit and it burned the circuits . I'm a good solderer and this one is sadly not repairable so I already purchased one to replace it ! PS - what's that ECU looking thing which was right next to it on the door sill ? I was appalled to see MORE boards on this car ! I've literally had to repair every one of them pretty much , they just keep popping up of the sheds lol

BIG thanks to everyone that chimed in . Even bigger thanks to REVTOR , I was not sure where else to look , sure enough , the 8 had more hidden compartments with more computers

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShark850 View Post
    PS - what's that ECU looking thing which was right next to it on the door sill ?
    You mean the metal one right in front of the A5 relay module? That's the A7 or A70 anti-lock braking module (ABS). In the passenger-side door sill you'll find the N1 anti-theft control module (DWA).

Anyway, your main concern at this moment is where did the water come from and how to stop it from getting there. Simply replacing the module might be only a temporary solution.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    TheShark850 sent pictures of the corrosion damage. Even though the PCB is conformal coated, the combination of water and electricity (electrolysis) has eaten away component leads and PCB traces:

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    That's a goner!
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    840 ci
    I have a few questions; first, does the coating covering the circuits need to be removed before soldering? Is so how, hot air gun? Next, where is the recommended place to purchase the capacitors?