Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MCS 2WNR setup questions

My Cars
    '98 M3

MCS 2WNR setup questions

So I have some idea of where to set these baseline (Thanks to Vorshlag and Bimmerworld) but I'd like to get more info on dialing them in.

My car is a 98 M3, UUC sway barbarians, 600lb front springs and 800lb rear springs, tires are 235-40-17 Toyo RR's, but I may spring for a set of 245 Hoosier R7's. My home tracks are High Plains Raceway and Pueblo Motorsports Park.

Where are you guys setting these and how are you playing with them based on conditions?

Thanks!
    '03 911 Turbo 6MT fun car
    '18 Toyota Land Cruiser Daily driver/Ski Machine/Off Roader
    '15 Cayenne Diesel Wife's DD
    '17 KTM 690 "Adv" 2 wheeled Adventurer

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    I have higher spring rates (800/900) but I found I liked settings pretty close to what BW recommended as a starting point

My Cars
    E46 330 ZHP, E36 328i
    Same here.
    I get my best lap times using the Bimmerworld set-up.
    You have to get used to it. It's stiff but it works !

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    650/800, GC bars, 255 NT01, 2950lb w/o driver, no aero.

I pretty much just use the BW settings, a click or two stiffer IIRC. They're pretty spot on.

To figure that out though, I autocrossed the car and found that slightly modified BW settings worked the best there, then went to the track and it was great there too, and haven't messed with them much since. I wouldn't say these are final settings but I'm very happy with how the car behaves in both disciplines.

For changing conditions, the one time I was at a rainy track day I used the BW settings for that, and it was magical.

TL;DR-- use the BW settings as a starting point, then tinker with it and take notes, and don't be surprised if you don't deviate much.
    Last edited by Bimmerman535i; 03-07-2018 at 05:58 PM.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    1995 M3 LTW 2001 325i
    Concur, post #4 good starting point.

My Cars
    E36 M3 SEDAN
    What rebound/compression settings are you running? I've got 700/900 springs on my track car. This is on a newly built car with different mods so the baseline should be different from the previous car.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    I bought 1WNRs from Bimmerworld and their secret sauce turned out to be "Set them in the middle and tweak from there as needed." I told them i expected to get something a little better than that and they basically said it was a work in progress. I guess you have to spend 2W money before you get good info. Disappointing.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Dan, hate to tell you but the "White Paper" from them for the 2WNR is much the same...

My Cars
    M3
    Has anyone here tested 1 way mcs vs 2 way vs 2 way remotes etc.

Curious as to how much faster the car would be when properly setup with all other things being equal. Ie is it worth spending an extra $2000 for 2 way remotes over the singles. Are we talking a second per lap or significantly less?
    Last edited by VRT; 03-18-2018 at 03:04 PM.

My Cars
    2012 GTI
    I don't really fault the "White Paper" settings being roughly in the middle. With the all variances between spring rates, sway bars, bushings, tires, tracks, and driving styles there isn't one answer. IIRC the 2WNR setup sheet does provide some guidance as to how to tune from the baseline, but a lot of it is personal preference.
    97 M3 - SCCA TT Prepped
    17 F150 - Tow Pig
    05 S2000 - Sold
    88 325is - S52 powered - Sold
    95 M3 LTW Rep - Death by Altima

My Cars
    E36 M3 GTS2
    Quote Originally Posted by VRT View Post
    Has anyone here tested 1 way mcs vs 2 way vs 2 way remotes etc.

Curious as to how much faster the car would be when properly setup with all other things being equal. Ie is it worth spending an extra $2000 for 2 way remotes over the singles. Are we talking a second per lap or significantly less?
    Can’t say anything about the others, but the 2W remotes are da bomb.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWyte View Post
    Dan, hate to tell you but the "White Paper" from them for the 2WNR is much the same...
    They sent me the 2W paper as well, its a lot better than the 1W one. They said they're working to update the 1W one.

I know they can't offer miracles over the phone, but i'm also not convinced i'm the only E36 M3 running 600/700 springs in the world.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Hmm, I didn't feel like there was a ton of specific info in it. Mostly, set it close to the middle, then start playing with it two clicks in either direction and see what you like...

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    You know how they say these higher end shocks make stiff springs feel comfy? Well its true! I finally got my car on the ground and went for a test drive on my super crappy streets (outside of Boston). 600/700# springs and the 1WNR shocks set to 2 the car rides better than my stock 2017 Golf. Incredible. Much better than even my previous TCK DAs with the compression set soft.

I sure hope the amazingness continues on track.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Definitely. Much better ride with the 2WNR and my 600/800# springs vs my old SA Koni's.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    You know how they say these higher end shocks make stiff springs feel comfy? Well its true! I finally got my car on the ground and went for a test drive on my super crappy streets (outside of Boston). 600/700# springs and the 1WNR shocks set to 2 the car rides better than my stock 2017 Golf. Incredible. Much better than even my previous TCK DAs with the compression set soft.

I sure hope the amazingness continues on track.
    Interesting. Very.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    It's insane. Last night i drove the car 45min to the race shop from my house north of Boston, through towns, down through the city tunnels and out the other side. All kinds of nasty roads at low and high speed (no traffic at night). No car has ever felt that good driving through there. There is still a limit to the overall travel, so if you hit a 4" whoop, the chassis will rise more than like an SUV, but all the sharp chattery stuff, cracks, joints, one layer deep pot holes.. practically disappear. I imagine this is how $100k Mercedes must ride. It feels very "premium". I'll honestly probably drive the car to work once in awhile now. I used to never touch it except to/from events.

It's also nice to have that damn TCK DA rear shock clacking gone.

Today i drove the Golf to work and it felt like shit. Now i need MCSs for the DD golf?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Crap. Just when I'd convinced myself to stay with my TCK SAs. I'll be interested to hear your opinion after a track session.

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Crap. Just when I'd convinced myself to stay with my TCK SAs. I'll be interested to hear your opinion after a track session.
    I love them on track. They're orders of magnitude better in feel than my old TCK DAs. They're almost magical.

I have very mixed feelings about them on the road, on a car with poly/spherical joints-- I far preferred the TCKs on the road.

My Cars
    95 M3 GTS2/ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerman535i View Post
    I love them on track. They're orders of magnitude better in feel than my old TCK DAs. They're almost magical.

I have very mixed feelings about them on the road, on a car with poly/spherical joints-- I far preferred the TCKs on the road.
    Better in feel is good to hear. Any idea on lap time improvement after MCS were installed? Tenths, seconds, who knows?

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Quote Originally Posted by jonb94118 View Post
    Better in feel is good to hear. Any idea on lap time improvement after MCS were installed? Tenths, seconds, who knows?
    No clue, if I'm honest.

When I installed them, I noticed a difference driving and tuning with them, but I am not sure I was consistent enough to notice the difference with a stopwatch. I didn't keep a close eye on lap time until recently.

I'm still on my set from 2013. They're truly amazing shocks.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Looking forward to getting my car on track to see what the difference is.

How tight are the rear shock top nuts supposed to be? I ran the first jam nut down until I could see the rear shock mount bushing begin to deflect some, then ran down the jam nut. However I'm getting a lot of clunking noise from the rear, really sounds like the rear shock mounts...

My Cars
    2005 M3,1999 528i
    It's probably not the shock mounts. Both MCS and Vorshlag confirm that the 2WNR rear shocks can make a knocking or clunking noise,primarily at low speeds over sharp impacts like expansion joints which is the only time I hear it. I switched from Vorshlag spherical RSMs to Rogues and the noise persists. Pretty sure Bimmerman 535i has the same experience as discussed on another forum. Still love the suspension though
    Mike Kenney
    E46 M3

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Wow, that's interesting that the MCS doubles clunk like the TCK doubles did. I hope its not as bad as the TCKs, that drove me insane. With MCS singles, there is zero noise in the back using GC poly RSMs with the poly bushings in "stiff" mode. I also tightened them to snug on the poly, but not enough to deform it.

My Cars
    E36 M3 SEDAN
    Also running MCS 2-way NR. The ride quality with big springs is amazing.

Also echo the odd "clunk" sounds that I get. I thought it was the rear shock mounts; it's not. I also thought it may be the battery. Neither one seems to be the issue.

I took the car off the road. It's track only at this point, so I don't really care. All insulation, etc. is stripped out so the clunk is the last thing I care about with respect to noise!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast