Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GROM Audio Upgrades

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport

GROM Audio Upgrades

I currently have an older Dynavin unit in my 540 wagon, but the DVD capability is dead, the navi is way out of date, and I can't connect my phone thru USB or BT. So basically I have a glorified radio with no features. I thought about upgrading to a newer Dynavin or Avin but between the limited iffy reviews and the $700ish pricing, I'm not entirely sold on either.

Today, I had a complete change of tune randomly at work. Since I (and I'm guessing most of us) really only use my phone for navi and music, I don't need the H/U to do everything, just to be the conduit to get the sound to the speakers. I'm now thinking of putting the OEM radio back, and getting a couple of GROM modules. I could keep the OEM look completely, and if I ever need to upgrade again, it's less than $150 for a new module.

I'm thinking of the Bluetooth or USB kit and the HD radio receiver. Anyone have experience with any of these?
    '98 M3 5spd - '03 540it 6spd M-Sport

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Not a bad thought. But it looks like you need one Grom module to get USB/SD and another to get Bluetooth, and I think I would want both. I presume they can be run simultaneously, but since they sell them separately, I wonder about this. It looks almost like an "either or" in terms of selection. Anyway, the cost of 2 modules is approx $300.. and you would have to put the OEM cage back in AND hope the pixels in your stock radio hold up. I am thinking of trying the Xtrons Android model for the e39 which is about $300.

My Cars
    1990 bmw 735il
    ^^^ this ^^^
    There's a android app from Europe, called the I-bus android app, it actually works with the factory DSP system and the high obc system.
    Another item called a resler stick, a fairly simple mod that works best on a Xtron android 7.1 model.

Look up both of those, there's also a Facebook page dedicated to all of this.

The app & device will work in English, but almost all the info is in German. You might not know German, but Google & Facebook do.

I'm getting one this year myself.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    i have the stock systems in all my BMWs. In my 528i i bought the CD unit out of an 04 X5 that gave me aux in capability, and out of that same X5 i got the BT unit for phone. Also found out it is Sirius capable, so I am getting the module for that. The integration is seamless. For navigation I mostly just use the phone for that. I have a magnetic dash vent mount that works great.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    Not to jack this thread, but in my '03, I'm using the Dice unit, which I installed WAY back in 2007, for my antique iPod. I also have an audio cable to enable me to plug my phone in and play its audio via the stereo. Works okay, other than that the Dice has always had audio whine/interference -- as the engine revs, the whine gets louder and higher pitched.

I'd love to add bluetooth capability, and I wouldn't mind getting rid of the audio interference noise. However, I still want to be able to play my old iPod and to be able to plug in other devices via the audio cable. If I can accomplish all of that via some other device than the Dice, I'm game to try it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, as always.

--Peter
    '03 540i-6
    153k mi; bought April ‘07 w/38k mi
    Silv/Blk, CWP, UUC SSK w/DSSR, M5 diff, JBR LW FW, SPEC Stage 2 clutch, Zionsville w/2-stage fan, coolant hoses, M60 intake manifold, motor-out overhaul (powder-coated VCs, TCGs, valley pan, coolant mani, head gaskets, heads refurb, all other gaskets, seals), Beisan vanos, PS pump & hoses, AC comp, fuel pump & filter, washer hoses, 88-degree thermo, DUDMD tune, Vibrant Racing muffler, Zeck CDV, Brembo solid-disc rotors w/ Textron pads & UUC SS brake lines, Dinan springs w/Koni Yellow shocks/struts, M5 front & rear sway bars, H&R 10mm spacers & studs front & rear, Pilot Sport A/S 3s, headlight adj repair, polished headlight lenses, 6k Umnitza Xenon & AE bulbs, new OEM M-Sport bumpers, gauge rings, permanent seat-twist repair to front seats, ZHP shift knob, M5 headliner kit (reinforced A-pillar clips), Schmiedmann pedals, MID & cluster pixel repair, Bavsound Stage 1 speaker upgrade & dedicated amp w/DSP subwoofers, retrofitted cupholder

My Cars
    4 BMWs.

My Cars
    '99 540iT; '00 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by peter540 View Post
    Not to jack this thread, but in my '03, I'm using the Dice unit, which I installed WAY back in 2007, for my antique iPod. I also have an audio cable to enable me to plug my phone in and play its audio via the stereo. Works okay, other than that the Dice has always had audio whine/interference -- as the engine revs, the whine gets louder and higher pitched.

I'd love to add bluetooth capability, and I wouldn't mind getting rid of the audio interference noise. However, I still want to be able to play my old iPod and to be able to plug in other devices via the audio cable. If I can accomplish all of that via some other device than the Dice, I'm game to try it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, as always.

--Peter
    You just have one that doesn't do BT. Both of my Mediabridge have AUX, BT, USB, and Sirius capability.

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    Not a bad thought. But it looks like you need one Grom module to get USB/SD and another to get Bluetooth, and I think I would want both. I presume they can be run simultaneously, but since they sell them separately, I wonder about this. It looks almost like an "either or" in terms of selection. Anyway, the cost of 2 modules is approx $300.. and you would have to put the OEM cage back in AND hope the pixels in your stock radio hold up. I am thinking of trying the Xtrons Android model for the e39 which is about $300.
    Haven't heard of Xtrons, so I'll look into that today. After reading the reviews of the Avin and Dynavin being a little "cheap" and with some poor audio quality, I was leaning back towards the OEM equipment and just get after market interfaces, so I'll look into this guy and see what it does.

Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    i have the stock systems in all my BMWs. In my 528i i bought the CD unit out of an 04 X5 that gave me aux in capability, and out of that same X5 i got the BT unit for phone. Also found out it is Sirius capable, so I am getting the module for that. The integration is seamless. For navigation I mostly just use the phone for that. I have a magnetic dash vent mount that works great.
    Good to know the CD unit has the AUX function. I'm guessing the BT module is only for phone and not music though.

This is for radios with the Tape player I assume, yes? And in my case, I have to buy a OEM radio since the previous owner sold his for the now out of date Dynavin.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Xtrons is one of the newer Chinese-made head units. They are well featured, but like the others they suffer from poor customer service, average (at best) quality, and often bad quality control. I am hoping they are one step better than the ***** unit I have, but we'll see. Apparently they come without installation instructions. But there are resources on-line that seem to help.

Here is a recent thread from the M5Board.
    http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ghlight=xtrons

My Cars
    Canada
    I've had good luck with the LaPower E39 bluetooth unit. It's easy to install, sits in my glove box and offers USB, Aux in, and Bluetooth streaming. Quality seems excellent.

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    Xtrons is one of the newer Chinese-made head units. They are well featured, but like the others they suffer from poor customer service, average (at best) quality, and often bad quality control. I am hoping they are one step better than the ***** unit I have, but we'll see...
    And that's what I'm trying to avoid. I don't want to have to troubleshoot a head unit, or have nowhere to go when I need help. I'm going to call GROM and see if I can get both the USB and BT boxes to work at the same time.

Are there any other options that I should consider? Dice?

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    My Grom has both a USB cable and BT. It's a single module. Been many years since I put it in, so I forget the details.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    2012 JSW 2.5
    Peter540 > Regarding the noise: Adapters usually come with extra long wires to give you more placement options. The downside is that long wires are more prone to interference. Try to shorten any runs you can. For example, you may be able to find a grounding point closer to the Dice unit than the one it is using now.
    Last edited by JaxPlanet; 03-08-2018 at 12:49 AM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Cheaper and simpler with the Grom. And with the Grom you can use the phone USB cord so you get charging as well. The factory method requires two cords, one for the sound, one for charging. Plus the Grom works as a building block to add additional features if desired. I use the older USA Spec IPhone adapter (offers audio, charging and line inputs). If it ever needs replacing I will go with the Grom.
    Last edited by f355spider; 03-08-2018 at 03:48 PM.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by f355spider View Post
    Cheaper and simpler with the Grom. And with the Grom you can use the phone USB cord so you get charging as well. The factory method requires two cords, one for the sound, one for charging. Plus the Grom works as a building block to add additional features if desired. I use the older USA Spec IPhone adapter (offers audio, charging and line inputs). If it ever needs replacing I will go with the Grom.
    I totally understand what you're saying. I'm a stickler for stock, and I also didn't like the sound quality of the aftermarket units. I've had DICE, and USA Spec, both had noise on the aux-in/iPod source. Unfortunately on my Z3, the only choice is aftermarket.

My Cars
    2003 540i M Sport
    So happy I found this link since I've been contemplating what to do for a few weeks now. I live in Southern CA, have a 2003 540i with factory radio, single cd and DSP (no nav). I'm eager to install an upgrade to utilize my mobile phones for music and phone calls through BT with features and functionality on the steering wheel without a bunch of cords in the drivers compartment. Can you advise which direction has work well? I've looked into the GROM, Mediabridge hasn't called back, ECS Tuning has the AUX kit for $35 without BT, Dynavin, *****, etc. Looked at Crutchfield for just replacing the whole unit, but don't want to change OEM look and not sure if I have to change speakers, amplifier, etc. Seems confusing. I also met with a shop who offered the AUX kit plus BT extension (steering wheel volume only, no seeking or phone calls) for $300 or $520 for integrated BT with music, steering wheel controls and phone integration. Does that cost seem reasonable? Wondering for $500 why not replace with a new multi-media receiver. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport
    GROM gets delivered today!!! Yes, the BMW AUX cable is a cheaper option, but for the added price, I also get a single cable that charges my phone while playing it, and I get a HD radio antenna. I can't find too many dedicated units, so this is it. Install notes to follow.

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport
    Everything is in! Except the HD antenna is a little more than I expected. Also, that 8-10 inch black wire needs to be grounds to increase reception. The manual recommends on the lower right of the dash near the windshield, or on the windshield parallel to the A pillar.

Can I remove the A pillar and stick the antenna behind and ground that wire, or it there really now way to hide this fugly antenna?
    Last edited by QtheGenius; 03-29-2018 at 09:01 PM.

My Cars
    2001 540i
    installed the GROM BT3 last year. It cannot be beat. Located it under the center console (euro)and the cable was just BARELY long enough to make it up to the factory mic location. Fully functional, displays correctly. And wheel controls are intact. Recently the GROM that displayed as the mode has changed to “hands free”. Amazing.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by Richb134 View Post
    installed the GROM BT3 last year. It cannot be beat. Located it under the center console (euro)and the cable was just BARELY long enough to make it up to the factory mic location. Fully functional, displays correctly. And wheel controls are intact. Recently the GROM that displayed as the mode has changed to “hands free”. Amazing.
    Does the older DICE unit accomplish the same thing, even with newer I-phones?
    Hope this isn't a stupid question...

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2001 540i
    @Jason5
    I am not familiar with the dice unit. I went with the GROM because of the positive reviews and their customer support could not be beat. It could not have worked out better.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    @Jason5
    I am not familiar with the dice unit. I went with the GROM because of the positive reviews and their customer support could not be beat. It could not have worked out better.
    What is the difference between the Grom BT3, and the Grom USB3 ?

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2001 540i
    @Jason5The USB3 requires a dongle for Bluetooth music and calls if I remember correctly. The GROM site compares them sized by side.

My Cars
    2011 750Lix M sport
    @Jason5The USB3 requires a dongle for Bluetooth music and calls if I remember correctly. The GROM site compares them sized by side.
    I have the USB3 in my touring. It adds a USB connection and an aux capability. I had it connected for BT, BT audio, and USB capability. I have since added factory Bluetooth capability for my phone so that’s what I’m using now for calls.

I downloaded all of my music to a USB drive b/c that’s my preference. My GROM is mounted in cargo area just under SAT NAV unit and I installed a USB/AUX port in the center console “garage door”:

This also charges my phone and if I choose also gives me the aux option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport
    Went to install today and put the unit in the back of the radio, jumped all the correct wires, had it connect to the GROM unit, but no sound. I then read the instructions and the last bullet point is "If you have a DSP radio, you need an extra adapter, and you have to mount in the trunk."

Grrrr.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast