Thread: 2006 BMW E90 car programming with AK90+

My Cars
    2005 E90 320d

2006 BMW E90 car programming with AK90+

Hi guys. I bought a second hand BMW E90 320d (VC36) which im absolutely loving right now but it only came with one key from the previous owner. Rather than waiting for the key to die I have looking around at options to duplicate my key and ive seen the AK90+ on EBay which says duplicates keys for cars from 2002 - 2009. I would like to know if anyone has successfully programmed their keys using the system. All the videos I am seeing on Youtube are for people with the blade E46 keys. WHen I search online there is talk of EWS and CAN and I dont understand those and which of the ignition versions came with my car. Any help will be very welcome

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i
    I have the same issue, one Key only and when it dies I don't want to be stuck so I have developed a plan. I am purchasing a new key fob cover off eBay which modifies the fob to have the option of changing batteries in the fob. Seeing mixed reviews on this I have decided to collect parts then break down and purchase a new key-set from the dealership (Roughly $350). Then take the old key and transfer the internals to the new key fob cover and add a new battery. The cost of the cover and battery are virtually negligible (<$10) and if it works then I will have two complete sets of keys, if it does'nt work (Remote functions should be the only component in question) then I am no worse than I was before. Anyway that is my plan. A few points: * Apparently keys from other cars cannot be "Re-Programmed"to fit a different car even if the models and mfg dates are the same. * Non-comfort access keys are not designed to be serviced therefore once the battery dies then from the manufacturer the key remote function is gone and their only option is replacement. * if you have CA then the key option is better as the dealership can program them and the battery can be replaced. * many mixed reviews on repairing non-CA keys makes me think the best option is the dealership if you want another key. Hope this helps.

Charlie Lamar
    Ringgold, GA

My Cars
    2008 BMW 328i Premium Sp
    I'm wondering this myself as I have both fobs (non CA) but one was dead already when I got the car. I know the car charges it while in the ignition (slot?) so I'm not too worried but on the off chance it does decide to not work down the road I was hoping to see if dodging the $350+/- replacement was possible. Maybe if I already have the fob it'd be cheaper for a dealer to replace the battery and reprogram?

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i
    I do not believe the dealer can replace the FOB battery in non CA keys, they are not designed to be serviced. I have read where some members run one fob for a week/month then swap to the other and keep them both charged. I personally would use the dead fob for a long trip to see if it will take a charge. The FOB's should always start the car as they don't require power to do so. I plan to attempt a swap to a new cover that will offer replaceable batteries but I am daring like that and am willing to risk it. Based on your research and risk tolerance you should develop your own plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonE92 View Post
    I'm wondering this myself as I have both fobs (non CA) but one was dead already when I got the car. I know the car charges it while in the ignition (slot?) so I'm not too worried but on the off chance it does decide to not work down the road I was hoping to see if dodging the $350+/- replacement was possible. Maybe if I already have the fob it'd be cheaper for a dealer to replace the battery and reprogram?

Charlie Lamar
    Ringgold, GA