Thread: Anyone have any ideas on this no crank, no fuel pressure, no start issue

My Cars
    95 M3 Turbo, 08 535xiT

Anyone have any ideas on this no crank, no fuel pressure, no start issue

I have had a post in the m3 forum for like a week. Not a single response. Thought maybe someone in here may have an idea.

car is a 1995 with a 10/95 build date. Ews2 obd1, worst combo ever.

I have 2 different ecu’s, both with immobilizer delete tunes.

On Jan 3rd I went to start my car to pull out of the garage and the battery was low. I charged the battery and started the car without issue and backed it out into driveway. 2 days later...mind you in 10 degree temps I went to start car to pull it back into garage. I had power to car but no start. I threw car on charger again because I thought battery may be low....but still nothing.

car has no fuel pressure...I have a fuel pressure gauge
    car has no crank
    car has ce light, full cluster power, on board computer has power, radio has power, heater has power

So as to where I am now.

I have tried both tunes...in 2 different ecu's
    2 different keys
    made sure car wasn't in double lock
    swapped the dme relay
    swapped fuel pump relay
    I have jumped fuel pump relay....fuel pump runs when jumped
    I have checked for power at power pins at relays...has power
    I have swapped ews ring at ignition
    I have swapped ignition switch
    I have made sure engine turns over by hand (it does)
    I have rolled car and popped clutch make sure starter wasn't engaging flywheel (it's not)
    ground strap should be good

does anyone have any ideas?

I have a couple...1 being the ews transmitter
    I can trace continuity on wiring but not even sure where to start on that
    would a failed fuseable link give me full power but no start?

Last edited by vr6dubny; 03-05-2018 at 11:02 PM.

My Cars
    E39 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by vr6dubny View Post
    I have had a post in the m3 forum for like a week. Not a single response. Thought maybe someone in here may have an idea.

I have 2 different ecu’s, both with immobilizer delete tunes.

On Jan 3rd I went to start my car to pull out of the garage and the battery was low. I charged the battery and started the car without issue and backed it out into driveway. 2 days later...mind you in 10 degree temps I went to start car to pull it back into garage. I had power to car but no start. I threw car on charger again because I thought battery may be low....but still nothing.

car has no fuel pressure...I have a fuel pressure gauge
    car has no crank
    car has ce light, full cluster power, on board computer has power, radio has power, heater has power

So as to where I am now.

I have tried both tunes...in 2 different ecu's
    2 different keys
    made sure car wasn't in double lock
    swapped the dme relay
    swapped fuel pump relay
    I have jumped fuel pump relay....fuel pump runs when jumped
    I have checked for power at power pins at relays...has power
    I have swapped ews ring at ignition
    I have swapped ignition switch
    I have made sure engine turns over by hand (it does)
    I have rolled car and popped clutch make sure starter wasn't engaging flywheel (it's not)
    ground strap should be good

does anyone have any ideas?

I have a couple...1 being the ews transmitter
    I can trace continuity on wiring but not even sure where to start on that
    would a failed fuseable link give me full power but no start?

Can you check the modules in. INPA to see if there are any codes, or if they can be seen at all?

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    95 M3 Turbo, 08 535xiT
    Forget to mention. Car is a 1995 obd1. I do not have immediate access to any code readers

My Cars
    93 325is
    Won't crank or won't start
    How many miles are on it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    93 325is
    And have you tried to stomp test it.

My Cars
    turbo e36 m3/ stock s50/e30 m3
    do this...get jumper cables...you will only be using one side either the negative or positive..so for now lets just say the positive side(red).. connect one side of the (red) to a bolt on the shock tower...take the other side of the cable(red) and clamp it to the lift ring by the vanos..now crank the car.. if it starts, replace the chassis ground cable located from the passenger motor mount bracket to the chassis...it's a short cable..they sell similar cable anywhere they sell battery terminals.

96 M3, GT4094R, Arrow Rods, CP Pistons, Elring HG, cutring 87mm, 10 mm ARP studs,MS3pro, EMC Intercooler, n54 6 speed with Motiv twin disk, ZT-2 wideband, Zionsville Radiator, X-brace, H&R springs with bilstien shocks, QTP electronic cutout, Line Locks, stock exhaust 455rwtq, 453rwhp at 14 psi 91 octane.......684rwtq, 681rwhp at 24 psi running flex fuel E60 at time of dyno tune.

My Cars
    95 M3 Turbo, 08 535xiT
    Stomp test comes out good. I will toss another block ground on tomorrow.

no crank, no fuel pressure. Car will not run

My Cars
    1997 328i turbo
    You have to bypass the ews since you have a ews deleted dme

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    95 M3 Turbo, 08 535xiT
    not true...both ecu's started the car fine for months. Nick G requires all ews wiring/modules be in place. RK does not care what is there or deleted it seems. I am just wondering if the transmitter isn't sending a start signal it won't even cause the ecu to fire or not.

the car started fine...until it didn't.

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    Put it on standalone
    328i Sedan Twin s366's, 6.0LS, TH400, MS3 Ultimate
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Check the battery power cable that goes in through the passenger side into the trunk. Theres a fuse taped up in it that could be burnt out. Check to see on the jump post on the passenger side if all the posts are getting power. Not sure if its the issue, but i've had this happen to me. Car left me stranded twice and i bought new relays, everything, to then find out it was a bad connection with that power cable. lol

PTE6262 .63 A/R, Stock S52, Cutring/Copper Spacer/Arp Studs Combo, Water Methanol Injected
    10.9@131mph. #AngerMotorsports

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by E36Mylo View Post
    Check the battery power cable that goes in through the passenger side into the trunk. Theres a fuse taped up in it that could be burnt out. Check to see on the jump post on the passenger side if all the posts are getting power. Not sure if its the issue, but i've had this happen to me. Car left me stranded twice and i bought new relays, everything, to then find out it was a bad connection with that power cable. lol
    Good tip. I'm having a similar problem to OP on my car but im N/A for now

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    +1 on fuse. Check it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i

+1 ‘Fusible link’ is that part mentioned, should be between the battery and the backseat somewhere under/behind the carpet panels. I had the same problem and was diagnosed by the car getting 12v but dme getting very little, like 2v in my case... just enough for a stomp test lol

Also, did you consider snipping the ews wire? I have a 1995 as well and no real point in keeping it. Maybe I’m crazy but the car seems to crank much easier since this was done. Pretty sure it’s the green wire near the fuse box in the harness that totally bypasses it, in fact I’ve done troubleshooting with red and silver label 413 dme’s no prob. Other than that the only odd culprit could be a crank or cam position sensor - crank sensor will also give those exact symptoms and I surely chased that problem for a while after no luck hard wiring the fuel pump or jumping the fuel pump relay.

Good luck

Edit- sorry missed the part about the Nick G tune
    Last edited by jjjjjjj; 03-08-2018 at 10:18 PM.

1995 325i | OBD1 S52 | S50 cams | AA Turbo TD06 20g / 42lb / Porsche maf | .140 MLS | F1 s3 clutch | Ultimate SSK | AKG 75D subframe/diff bushings | 3.23 LSD | Powerflex LCAB/RTAB | e46 fca | Raceland coils | BMP rear arms | DEPO HID | AEM Failsafe | Aeromotive FPR | Walbo 255 | 3" Magnaflow muffler/cat/res | 17x8.5/9.5" 225/45 & 255/40

My Cars
    93 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjjj View Post
    +1 ‘Fusible link’ is that part mentioned, should be between the battery and the backseat somewhere under/behind the carpet panels. I had the same problem and was diagnosed by the car getting 12v but dme getting very little, like 2v in my case... just enough for a stomp test lol

Also, did you consider snipping the ews wire? I have a 1995 as well and no real point in keeping it. Maybe I’m crazy but the car seems to crank much easier since this was done. Pretty sure it’s the green wire near the fuse box in the harness that totally bypasses it, in fact I’ve done troubleshooting with red and silver label 413 dme’s no prob. Other than that the only odd culprit could be a crank or cam position sensor - crank sensor will also give those exact symptoms and I surely chased that problem for a while after no luck hard wiring the fuel pump or jumping the fuel pump relay.

Good luck

Edit- sorry missed the part about the Nick G tune
    I had thought it was possibly a crank sensor as well.

My Cars
    325i
    Have you test the starter?
    Fast lookin' but slow movin'
    237 rwhp N/A power

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i

It’s a sneaky sob. Impossible to test accurately iirc.

Oh and you might want to go OEM. Pretty sure I had no luck with a knockoff but a junkyard one did the trick

Also one more idea...... def not recommended but you *can* jump all the hot wires together and bypass the distribution block, just attach them all to a bolt. Everything gets full 12v and the car will fire up no prob if you have a flakey or bad fusible link or other random wiring problem in that neighborhood. Mine has been like this for some time I’m not proud

Worst case you can put it in the garage with that terrible trick. My fingers would cease functioning if they ever got that cold lol...
    Last edited by jjjjjjj; 03-09-2018 at 06:09 PM.

1995 325i | OBD1 S52 | S50 cams | AA Turbo TD06 20g / 42lb / Porsche maf | .140 MLS | F1 s3 clutch | Ultimate SSK | AKG 75D subframe/diff bushings | 3.23 LSD | Powerflex LCAB/RTAB | e46 fca | Raceland coils | BMP rear arms | DEPO HID | AEM Failsafe | Aeromotive FPR | Walbo 255 | 3" Magnaflow muffler/cat/res | 17x8.5/9.5" 225/45 & 255/40

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    Good tip. I'm having a similar problem to OP on my car but im N/A for now

I fixed my problem by connecting jumper cables to the vanos bracket and shock tower as suggested above. So my problem turned out to be the ground strap. Any word on yours OP?