Thread: 1972 Fjord Blue Bavaria (Take 2)

My Cars
    z3

1972 Fjord Blue Bavaria (Take 2)

I just took ownership of this 1972 fjord blue BMW bavaria
    In my backyard I also have a 1972 fjord blue BMW bavaria
    I also have two black Z3 coupes - whats wrong with me?
    Good things come in pairs? I don't know...

I bought this knowing it needed a little work. But it drove. The first test drive was interesting. Idled at 2000rpm (I know the chokes were modified with wire by the previous owner just to keep it running at idle) and the brakes were hard as a rock. It was late so I couldn't really see the condition of the car. But it drove around the block. My old bavaria was my daily driver until I drove an E34 M5 for a week and parked the bavaria on some rocks in Tucson. Rats got to it and it hasn't run since. So this was my first time driving a bavaria in... 6 years?

Seeing it in the day the next morning was amazing. The interior is in remarkably good condition, sure it shows some wear, but it's pretty much all there and the seats are mostly intact. My old car was junk in comparison!

There was a misfire when I drove it and I noticed spark plug wires on the car were worn and cracked, when I went to remove them to inspect one of the wires pulled out of the plug boot. Think I found my misfire. My old car had a new distributor cap and wires put on at one point, so I went and yanked those parts and put them on. The timing is wrong now, but the misfire is gone at least!

Getting the Zeniths off this car too and going with Webers. The Zeniths are totally shot...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    z3
    Have some Webers lined up so worked on getting the Zeniths off, the front was pretty easy, rear looks like its gonna be a two person job. Valves need to be adjusted (some were so loose you could jiggle them...) so took the valve cover off today and cleaned it while it was off

Then had all the parts to clean a valve cover ready so went ahead and cleaned the one from the parts car as well

Sanded the raised portion as best I could, hand slipped a few times but hey, its not a concourse winner!

Looks good to me!

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!