Thread: Heater blower motor won't turn off unless ignition key is off

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38

Heater blower motor won't turn off unless ignition key is off

1984 euro 635

Hi, I've been researching a recent issue with my heater blower motor but haven't been able to get a good answer. Here's the problem:
    1. Ignition key in position two and heater blower motor comes on at low speed even with switch in off position;
    2. Installed new BMW switch no change;
    3. Completely disconnected switch from wiring (wires just hanging under dash) and no change. Heater blower motor runs constantly until ignition key is turned to off;
    4. Transistor in engine compartment replaced 4 months ago and was working correctly;
    5. A/C switch disengages heater blower motor and starts A/C blower motor as it should but the A/C blower motor has the same symptoms as above

It appears the heater blower motor or the A/C blower motor is getting power once the ignition key is turned to position 2 regardless if the blower motor switch is connected to the wiring or not.
    This situation wasn't happening last week and all of the blower motors and switches were working as they should.

I know there is a micro-switch in the blower motor control switch which can go bad, however, I removed the whole blower motor control switch and nothing changed so I don't think it is the micro-switch.

Kind of stumped at this point, any help/solutions would be greatly appreciated. TIA

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    About 10 years ago I bought a new heater blower and have the same situation. i remember reading a post that stated the new units now run all the time.

Everything in the system is working fine and I just learned to live with it. Never came across a fix for this. I think the new motors are calibrated

so that the off setting on the fan switch causes the fan to idle. Don't know why, but there you have it!

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986series6 View Post
    About 10 years ago I bought a new heater blower and have the same situation. i remember reading a post that stated the new units now run all the time.

Everything in the system is working fine and I just learned to live with it. Never came across a fix for this. I think the new motors are calibrated

so that the off setting on the fan switch causes the fan to idle. Don't know why, but there you have it!
    Thanks for the reply. My situation is a little different in that I didn't change anything before my heater blower started just staying on even if the heater blower switch is completely disconnected.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    Here is the link to ETM's. Hope this will help you find the problem.

http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986series6 View Post
    Here is the link to ETM's. Hope this will help you find the problem.

http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm
    Thanks for the link. I'll check it out and see if I can locate what is causing this issue.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk