Thread: Rescuing Metric Mechanic 2.1 liter stroker M44

My Cars
    '97 Z3 1.9

Z3: Rescuing and swapping Metric Mechanic 2.1 liter stroker M44

My Z3 currently has a supercharged, internally stock BMW M44 1.9 liter motor. It makes decent power, but I want a bit more. I've considered various swaps but never undertaken one. I've always had a thing for built high revving 4 cylinder motors and have considered a E30 M3 S14 motor, but they have become cost prohibitive in recent years.

I happened across a unique swap candidate that I seemed like a good project. A friend of mine bought a very neglected turbocharged E36 318is. The previous owner had installed a Metric Mechanic 2100 ST Hi-Flo FI bored and stroked 2.1 liter M44 motor. It's a pretty trick motor containing forged internals, M47 crank, titanium valve springs, cams, single row timing change conversion, and lots of head work. The car was parted out and I had the opportunity (or possible misfortune) of buying this abused motor for pennies on the dollar. The original owner paid over $9,500 for this motor, which is absolutely crazy. My goal is to resurrect the motor on a budget, which may be easier said than done. I work on my own cars but have never done any internal engine work until now.

In this thread I'll document the good, the bad, and the ugly. Hopefully this motor is worth saving.

vYxlnS.jpg
    Removing from 318is

Accessories still installed

Before opening the motor, I sent the oil to Blackstone Labs for testing. The results were not encouraging. The old contained coolant, fuel, and metal from the bearings, pistons, and valves.

I removed the thermostat housing and found this corroded mess. There was sand in the thermostat housing when removed.

Front timing cover removed showing single row timing chain conversion

Valve cover removed

I found significant scoring on the intake cam lobes. This is the worst of it, but most lobes have some degree of damage. I'm unsure of the root cause or if the cam is salvageable. I need to research it more.

Next on the list is to get a 27mm socket to remove the crank pulley. Then the timing chain and cams will come out. Fingers crossed this motor can be saved, and done so on the cheap.
    Last edited by Christian; 03-13-2018 at 09:05 PM.

My Cars
    1999 325i, 1996 RSTi Cou
    Pics aren’t working for me, could just be tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '97 Z3 1.9
    Quote Originally Posted by rstaylor25 View Post
    Pics aren’t working for me, could just be tapatalk

The photos should appear in Tapatalk now.
    Last edited by Christian; 03-13-2018 at 09:15 PM.

My Cars
    S54 Roady, LS1 & LS2 E36
    Looks interesting!

My Cars
    '97 Z3 1.9
    I haven't had much time to work on the motor this week, but I did get a bit done.

I removed the crank pulley so I could remove the lower timing cover. I put the cams at TDC and zip tied the chain to the cam gears, and I marked the crank pulley at TDC. Hopefully reassembly will go correctly. The timing chain and guide look to be in good nick.

Timing gears and chain removed

Earlier today I removed both camshafts. The exhaust cam looks good, but the intake cam has significant scoring. I need to figure out if it can be repaired, or what the consequences are for running the cams as-is. If anyone has any input please share.

I was a bit intimidated with the cam removal, as I've heard of people damaging the cams if a special tool isn't used. I used this tutorial posted by YouTube user M3NACE and was able to remove the cams without an issue.

Lastly, the previous owner had use approximately 3 gallons of RTV to hold the valve cover gasket to the valve cover. It took forever to get it all scraped off, but I eventually did.

Next on the list is to remove the rocker arms, valve springs, and then the head.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Christian; 03-11-2018 at 05:30 PM.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I acquired a used set of Metric Mechanic cams for my 6 cyl build a few years ago. My intake cam had similar damage. It was a manufacturing flaw. The cams I had were weld/regrind done by Web Cams. I sent the cam back to Metric Mechanic and they forwarded it to Web to be repaired. Since I was not the original owner of the cams, there was no sort of warranty. It ended up costing me about $400 to have the repairs completed. I got the cams for pretty cheap so in the end I got a good deal.

I then put about 25,000 miles on the cams without being "nice" to the motor (regular shifts in the 7,500-7,800 rpm range) and experienced no further damage/failures.

My Cars
    '97 Z3 1.9
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    I acquired a used set of Metric Mechanic cams for my 6 cyl build a few years ago. My intake cam had similar damage. It was a manufacturing flaw. The cams I had were weld/regrind done by Web Cams. I sent the cam back to Metric Mechanic and they forwarded it to Web to be repaired. .
    Thanks so much for the info. Glad to hear that repair is an option. I’ve been meaning to call Metric about it but haven’t yet. If the rest of the motor is salvageable I’d put $400 into reworking these cams for sure.

My Cars
    98 1.9L 5speed, 3.73LSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Thanks so much for the info. Glad to hear that repair is an option. I’ve been meaning to call Metric about it but haven’t yet. If the rest of the motor is salvageable I’d put $400 into reworking these cams for sure.

Is your SC for sale?

My Cars
    '97 Z3 1.9
    Quote Originally Posted by sportedge View Post
    Is your SC for sale?
    At the moment it is still in the car. This whole project has really been put on the back burner as I have a new baby at home. Whenever the Metric motor is complete and turbocharged the supercharger will be sold, but it’s going to be quite some time.

My Cars
    98 1.9L 5speed, 3.73LSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    At the moment it is still in the car. This whole project has really been put on the back burner as I have a new baby at home. Whenever the Metric motor is complete and turbocharged the supercharger will be sold, but it’s going to be quite some time.
    PM sent !