Thread: Modules behind glove box question

My Cars
    1996 328I

Modules behind glove box question

So I'm starting to thin out the wiring harness of my 96 328i. I'm stuck at the modules behind the glove box..

Now for a drift car which ones should I keep or can I just cut them all out but keep the one for the lights?
    Ive read about the ews2 and chipping it and what not but do I have to spend the $300 just to delete it or can I just cut it out and go from there?

I'm very new to the wiring aspect of things so I dont really know what I'm talking about, some help and Knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    none
    Id look at the Track car section those are always ripping wires out of their car lol

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    IIRC one is the EWS, and one is the Wiper module.

if you are going to thin our the wiring completely, it is easier to get a fuse box, make a relay panel, and start from scratch. You can get down to about 6-8 circuits.

I started to do this by thinning out the harness, then ended up making my own (twice).

My Cars
    1996 328I
    Quote Originally Posted by blake261 View Post
    IIRC one is the EWS, and one is the Wiper module.

if you are going to thin our the wiring completely, it is easier to get a fuse box, make a relay panel, and start from scratch. You can get down to about 6-8 circuits.

I started to do this by thinning out the harness, then ended up making my own (twice).
    So you're saying if I use a different fuse box (for just the essentials) I could get rid of the ews2 and all the other junk I won't need like abs/asc and stuff like that?

I'm just trying to get it thinned out to what I need. Eventually an engine swap and a stand alone with that

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    That's what I did, but my car is bare bones. No Key, no EWS, no power anything. just lights, binkers, wipers, IGN, Starter, and fan.

just save the X20 plug for now to connect to your stock harness. you can find pinouts online, but there are many different variations. so make sure you check each circuit.

My Cars
    Many
    This comes in very handy when trying to clean up your wiring.

https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/etm/data/e36/e36_96.pdf

I got my wiring harness from 52 lbs down to about 10lbs. I am also bare bones - no lights, blinkers, key, etc.

Here is my wiring behind the glove compartment

My Cars
    1996 328I
    I get really bad service at my shop so the link I will have to look at later when I get around Wi-Fi.
    I'm wanting to be bare bones as well, so with that said.. The modules aren't necessary and are ok to be removed?

I will be going keyless.
    I just need lights, fuel, ign, starter, wipers, fans and possibly an electric water pump in the future for a rear mounted radiator. Pretty much anything to just have the engine running.

I will keep the abs/asc for now as I have yet to acquire a z3 intake hose for the removal.

My Cars
    Many
    How I did it. I removed the weight I wanted out first (AC, radio, rear defogger, sunroof motor, etc) and traced those wires back to the fuse box and snipped them. When you do it that way, it leads you to which modules you need and which ones you don't.

You can use the link to verify your thinking on whether to cut or remove something.

Some things have multiple uses. Also watch your grounds and be careful with which ones you cut.

My Cars
    my brother's ti
    hit up Zack at 22rpd, he can delete the ews for you for much less than $300. his tunes are also great and less than $300.

My Cars
    1996 328I
    Thanks for the help guys, its slowly starting to make sense to me now.

Plan is to find a fuse/switch box and run everything I need to there. (IGN, fans, fuel, lights, etc)

Once I can get a hold of a z3 intake boot I can remove the asc/abs module completely and have everything under the dash with just a few small runs of wire.

Does that make sense? Am I understanding this right?

My Cars
    my brother's ti
    check your private messages