My Cars
    2012 TSX

E70 purchase advice

Hey, so I'm looking to pick up an E70 X5 for some medium-distance commuting.
    Goals are: 2012-2013, 30-50k miles, Certified Preowned, under $30k.
    CPO warranty on the 2013s is up in a few months.

I'm looking at one now - 2013, 30k miles, 1-owner, clean carfax, looks clean - that the dealer refuses to bring below $29k.

It looks like I could go a few thousand bucks less if I take a car with 50k miles, or get a longer warranty adding a few thousand bucks and getting a 2014. I could go to a random non-BMW dealer, but I'd get zero warranty.

Any advice on what the sweet spot is for these X5s?

My Cars
    Chevelle, jeep
    Maintenance can add up quickly, make sure it has a warranty if you’re not willing to wrench on it, or make sure you’ve got some money to spend for somebody else when things do need replaced. My 2011 35d has cost me several thousand in the past 6 months, and I’ve done most of the work myself. I paid 20 for mine as a cpo and factory warranty wasn’t quite up. You can get an extended warranty, and it’s probably well worth the spend on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"No I'm sorry, I'm not prepared to pursue my line of enquiry any further as I think this is getting too silly." Monty Python

My Cars
    2012 TSX
    Quote Originally Posted by thedcorvette View Post
    Maintenance can add up quickly, make sure it has a warranty if you’re not willing to wrench on it, or make sure you’ve got some money to spend for somebody else when things do need replaced. My 2011 35d has cost me several thousand in the past 6 months, and I’ve done most of the work myself. I paid 20 for mine as a cpo and factory warranty wasn’t quite up. You can get an extended warranty, and it’s probably well worth the spend on these.

How many miles did yours have before it started racking up big repairs?

I can do some things on my own. Not afraid of a wrench. But I’m not able to do bigger jobs.

My Cars
    Chevelle, jeep

E70 purchase advice

Quote Originally Posted by ggabriele3 View Post
    How many miles did yours have before it started racking up big repairs?

I can do some things on my own. Not afraid of a wrench. But I’m not able to do bigger jobs.
    Just over a hundred thousand, so far I’ve replaced blower regulator, motor/fan, battery, glow plugs and controller, all the intake manifold gaskets doing the glow plugs, I’ve had to disconnect both passenger door handles’ keyless functions as they were draining my battery(discovered the second one when car was dead on sisters wedding day, and I was out of town), turbo charge pipe gasket (300$, diagnosed by dealer during recall fixes for cat converter and airbag ~2 weeks with car in shop), this all being since September of last year, with parts having failed. And then of course my rear alignment went out so badly that I was down to cord on the rears, replaced all 4 tires, and that was about 2k (likely self induced from towing). I did all but battery, charge pipe myself, and parts weren’t cheap (expected). Tires were really maintenance, and oil changes were usually a couple hundred, though I’m gonna start doing those myself. Bought with 86k miles, but didn’t realize I could extend the warranty . Maintenance wise I’ve changed air filter, fuel filter (yesterday: triggered 1 permanent evap code, and 2 boost sensor indications, hopefully it’ll clear itself out in a couple days), and various odds and ends. It also appears that my oil level sensor has died in the past two weeks. Can’t say it’s gone more than a week of driving in the past 6 months without a friggin check engine light coming on. And then there’s the tranny fluid that needs changed, and coolant flush that I apparently don’t have tools for. I’ll get it done.. but I’ve done less work on my old Yukon xl with 225k miles ( bought with 195, I’ve changed oil, battery, starter and alternator). Doesn’t even compare really to my 2 years newer 4Runner with ~70k miles. I think if I’d paid a shop to do all of that I’d probably be in it for another 5k, and if I’d paid bmw to do it it’d be 10k all day long. As it is I’ve got probably 2k in parts for actual repairs and who knows on time. Older gas models have issues with timing guides as they get through 100k, but i couldn’t tell you on an e70, mines diesel.

Last edited by thedcorvette; 03-06-2018 at 10:22 PM.

"No I'm sorry, I'm not prepared to pursue my line of enquiry any further as I think this is getting too silly." Monty Python

My Cars
    2012 TSX
    Just over a hundred thousand, so far I’ve replaced blower regulator, motor/fan, battery, glow plugs and controller, all the intake manifold gaskets doing the glow plugs, I’ve had to disconnect both passenger door handles’ keyless functions as they were draining my battery(discovered the second one when car was dead on sisters wedding day, and I was out of town), turbo charge pipe gasket (300$, diagnosed by dealer during recall fixes for cat converter and airbag ~2 weeks with car in shop), this all being since September of last year, with parts having failed. And then of course my rear alignment went out so badly that I was down to cord on the rears, replaced all 4 tires, and that was about 2k (likely self induced from towing). I did all but battery, charge pipe myself, and parts weren’t cheap (expected). Tires were really maintenance, and oil changes were usually a couple hundred, though I’m gonna start doing those myself. Bought with 86k miles, but didn’t realize I could extend the warranty . Maintenance wise I’ve changed air filter, fuel filter (yesterday: triggered 1 permanent evap code, and 2 boost sensor indications, hopefully it’ll clear itself out in a couple days), and various odds and ends. It also appears that my oil level sensor has died in the past two weeks. Can’t say it’s gone more than a week of driving in the past 6 months without a friggin check engine light coming on. And then there’s the tranny fluid that needs changed, and coolant flush that I apparently don’t have tools for. I’ll get it done.. but I’ve done less work on my old Yukon xl with 225k miles ( bought with 195, I’ve changed oil, battery, starter and alternator). Doesn’t even compare really to my 2 years newer 4Runner with ~70k miles. I think if I’d paid a shop to do all of that I’d probably be in it for another 5k, and if I’d paid bmw to do it it’d be 10k all day long. As it is I’ve got probably 2k in parts for actual repairs and who knows on time. Older gas models have issues with timing guides as they get through 100k, but i couldn’t tell you on an e70, mines diesel.

Thanks for all that.

So, the cars I'm looking at have 30-50k miles. I can get a warranty if i spend another $3500 to $5000 but it'll only last 1-2 years.
    But from what I gather, it seems like the problems start happening between 75k-100k miles, which I won't hit in 2 years.
    I'm not a big fan of warranties anyway, but it seems like I'm better saving my money and going without one now.

My Cars
    Chevelle, jeep
    Thanks for all that.

So, the cars I'm looking at have 30-50k miles. I can get a warranty if i spend another $3500 to $5000 but it'll only last 1-2 years.
    But from what I gather, it seems like the problems start happening between 75k-100k miles, which I won't hit in 2 years.
    I'm not a big fan of warranties anyway, but it seems like I'm better saving my money and going without one now.
    I’m not sure on specifics of the extended warranty, but as long as you’re ok with putting some $$ into the car after 2-3 years of use then go for it.

My Cars
    2012 TSX
    I’m not sure on specifics of the extended warranty, but as long as you’re ok with putting some $$ into the car after 2-3 years of use then go for it.

yea, 2-3 years minimum.

it's like the difference between spending $3500-$6000 to bet that something when break when it's not supposed to (30-75k miles)
    vs
    maybe putting aside cash now for when i know it *will* break (75k-100k miles).

My Cars
    Chevelle, jeep
    yea, 2-3 years minimum.

it's like the difference between spending $3500-$6000 to bet that something when break when it's not supposed to (30-75k miles)
    vs
    maybe putting aside cash now for when i know it *will* break (75k-100k miles).
    True. I was figuring more along the lines of the Toyota cpo warranty, which for 5k covers maintenance and any warranty work for 50k miles. I don’t know what the breakdown was for each, but I bought the Toyota at 55k miles and it’s a 13, so similar year to what you’re looking. If my wife didn’t love the bmw so damn much she’d be driving a Toyota too

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    I purchased a 2012 this Christmas for the Mrs. with 73k miles for $18.5k and added a 4 year warranty on it for another $3k. Figure if the the turbo or anything major goes, it will be well worth it.

I just did the valve cover gasket, spark plugs, and coils myself for about $220. Rear brake bulb went out, so replaced all rear bulbs for about $40. I think it needs some suspension work since I have a vibration that comes and goes around 70mph, or it may just be the tires need balancing. So far just nit-noid stuff. If you cannot DIY the minor stuff, it will get expensive quickly as they get older, these aint no Toyotas or Hondas.

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    2012 X6 35i
    "If you cannot DIY the minor stuff, it will get expensive quickly as they get older, these aint no Toyotas or Hondas."

How sad that you have to say that, huh? Even worse, that it's the truth....
    2007 FJ Cruiser (best vehicle to date)
    2012 X6 35i Sport
    2013 ML350 BT
    2019 4Runner

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by kouks View Post
    I purchased a 2012 this Christmas for the Mrs. with 73k miles for $18.5k and added a 4 year warranty on it for another $3k. Figure if the the turbo or anything major goes, it will be well worth it.
    You buy used from a BMW dealer?
    '98 M3 5spd - '03 540it 6spd M-Sport