Thread: Stiff steering wheel. Alternator malfunction light.

My Cars
    525xi 2007

Stiff steering wheel. Alternator malfunction light.

Was driving home when my steering wheel stopped being able to turn. Then my alternator malfunction symbol came on shortly after. After pulling over and looking under the hood there was oil all over my oil filter and alternator and air filter. I also saw that a belt was no long attached and had fallen off. How did so much oil come out of my oil filter and do I need a new belt new oil filter gasket or new alternator now that oil is all over it. What’s the process of fixing everything or what should I look around under the hood for. The car starts fine as well just can’t turn the wheel. I suppose I am just looking for some advice where to start applying a solution for the problem and maybe see if I can do anything. I’ll supply any pictures if need be. The car is a 2007 525xi. 197k miles.

My Cars
    99528it 02525it 04325it
    First off is get a belt installed and go from there. Clean up the area with a brake cleaner before you do anything. I hope you didn't drive it far enough for the motor to overheat. Since you're there replace the tensioner too cause if you don't that's the next problem you're gonna have. Good luck!

My Cars
    525xi 2007
    Get a new belt or put the same one back on that is partially already still on? The belt that is still on there seems intact but the area has coolant and oil seemingly all over everything. What ever hose is going into the oil filter gasket right in front of the radiator is dripping.

My Cars
    525xi 2007
    I haven’t driven it at all since the belt came off. Should I purchase a new belt? And do you have to take out the engine fan in front of the belt to put a new belt on/take one off?

My Cars
    99528it 02525it 04325it
    Replace all the belts and hoses since you're there and like I said earlier replace the tensioner. Start fresh.

My Cars
    525xi 2007
    Yeah I figured I was going to make a day out of it. I started replacing some of the gaskets in the oil filter housing. Where is the best place to purchase belts and hoses and a tensioner?

My Cars
    525xi 2007
    Alright so after putting on new hoses, new belt, new, oil filter oil coolant and oil housing gasket on I am now having a leak in the water pump hose into the engine. It’s a brand new hose but is still leaking at the connection into the engine. The hose is the one that goes right below the oil filter gasket and to be left of the oil housing. Idk if it’s normal to be leaking right after connecting a new hose or if you have to run the engine to seal off the connection. Looking for the proper way to connect a water pump hose.

My Cars
    Not a BMW that's for sur
    It shouldn't be leaking.

What kind of hose clamp did you use? The worm-gear types (especially those with slots on the bands) can grab, pull and pinch the hose material, and where it gets pinched it will leak (usually right under the worm gear). This is why you don't often see these as OEM equipment.

The other possibility is that your pump inlet has a bunch of crud on it so it doesn't seal properly, but that is less likely.