Thread: Cluster Question

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI

Cluster Question

I swapped out my existing cluster in the 745 for a Euro cluster I got a while back. In the Euro Cluster the tach, Speedo, temp and fuel gauges work. Even the fuel mileage needle works. The service lights are solid on Inspect but I did not attempt a reset yet.

Also the ABS light and the Transmission indicator lights don’t come on at any time but I do have a brake liner light on. My question is, if the batteries on the board were bad, what would that effect? The manual says the Inpsect light only, could be bad batteries but doesn’t say what else the batteries effect.

I’m guessing the indicator light would be different from the batteries.

All totaled I have 3 clusters. Between them I should get one good working one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by espoe; 03-03-2018 at 04:42 PM.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Decided to dig into it today since I had to take the wheel off to settle a horn problem. I took the cluster out and noticed a bunch of wires in lugs without partners. Can you help me identify some of these? Attachment 623844
    These 2

Repost below, photos didn't load

Attachment 623845
    This one comes off of the cluster plug. That pink connector has no mate either.

Attachment 623846
    The are coming from the direction of the center of the car

Attachment 623847
    This plug is connected to the led light board but has no obvious connector to plug into

Attachment 623848
    And the round one.

Looking in the ETM gives some clues but without knowing what the connectors look like, or what they connect to, is a bit confusing for me. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by espoe; 03-04-2018 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Pictures didn't load

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI

Some Photos

Seems my photos didn't load so let me try again. In the meantime I was able to establish where a few wires go. Still I need to know these:

3 Connectors in dash.jpg

These two coming from the center

Round Connector.jpg

This Round one

Red Conector.jpg

The red one

Blue Cluster Connectors.jpg

I know one of these 2 go on the back of the cluster in the plug marked Blau. Which one? seems it's for the cruise. There is also a green plug just like it that can go in the slot marked Grun on the back of the cluster, and the labels on it are Masse and V. Is that slot used on the 745?

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by espoe View Post
    Seems my photos didn't load so let me try again. In the meantime I was able to establish where a few wires go. Still I need to know these:

3 Connectors in dash.jpg

These two coming from the center

Round Connector.jpg

This Round one

Red Conector.jpg

The red one

Blue Cluster Connectors.jpg

I know one of these 2 go on the back of the cluster in the plug marked Blau. Which one? seems it's for the cruise. There is also a green plug just like it that can go in the slot marked Grun on the back of the cluster, and the labels on it are Masse and V. Is that slot used on the 745?
    And which code plug is correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

I know the answers. Let me wake up a tad more...

Two sets of three wires are for the old factory fader.

Second pic with the round dude I THINK is for that gong business to alert you of temps under 0C, etc. Goes under top dash vents.

Third with red plug is for cars without FRONT fogs. That plugs into the dome switch.

Next, the tempo is for the cruise. The other should run to the radio for speed sensitive volume. The Beckers had it (single and dual headunits) and the BMW Bavaria HU.

Last are the coding plugs, no clue what is correct for what setup. I think it depends on KPH, MPH (140 or 160).
    Last edited by Hit Man X; 03-04-2018 at 01:05 PM.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    The red tipped plug came out of the Euro cluster. I switched it for the one from the cluster I had and see no differences. However the OBD is still a little wonky. I can’t seem to locate how to tell which plug to have in there. I’ve looked at a bunch of clusters for sale on the bay and looked at photo from the back. No big conclusion yet.

Good call on the volume output. Now which of the 2 blue plugs goes there?

Also if that batteries are dead, what doesn’t work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

I guess trace to see what blue plug's wire goes behind the radio and to the cruise unit. Not sure. I do know my cruise works since I had it fully rebuilt.

Those stupid service LEDs. I just disconnect the ribbons from the LED to the SI board itself, even with new batteries they never seem to work for me.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    So I gave it a good run last night and some progress! First off the plug with the two different colored wires was the ones to plug in to the Tempo spot. I tracked that down in the ETM and even then it was a bit confusing. I do have the green plug for the radio volume but that head unit is not there so no need on that one. I tie wrapped everything that was not being used to keep it from confusing the issue later. I replaced the 3 main lights in the cluster with the 3w bulbs. I think I will swap those out to 5w though, still a bit dim but certainly better than before.

The OBD is now working since I hooked up the cruise plug. I also changed the code plug but I think the OBD is due to the cruise plug since that's were the data comes from. Quick question on the OBD. I know there is the LED bar at the top. Are the keys backlit as well? Seems odd you wouldn't be able to see them but just checking.

I got the LED PNR321 light bar hooked up and only the R and N work. None of the others. The question now is the battery bulb. It's a new bulb but does not come on when the ignition goes to the position right before cranking. The system seems to be working fine as the car is being used daily and I seem to have no charging issues. Everything I have read says no bulb, no charge. Was that changed at some point?
    Last edited by espoe; 03-05-2018 at 07:45 PM.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Careful you do not melt the cluster. 2821 I think is the OE bulb from memory. It is not very bright.

Shit, I cannot recall if the OBC keys are lit or not. My car has been parked since May? of last year.. you know, the flood and all. Needs head job (it is at Bimmerheads for a full tilt job...ported and all). I swear the keys are lit.

On the PRND321 deal, could be a dying range selector or dirty. Dexoit it.

Around late 1985 clusters received a resistor to allow charge even with a dead battery light bulb. Verify it is charging with your DVOM. Even those free Harbor Freight ones are fine for this.
    I make E23 parts.
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    A little more info. I found out the OBD does have a small bulb for the keys. I found it here http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/11508 . I keep forgetting what a great place that is for some information. Dave has done a lot of things that he has photo documented well. And even though the site is not used much, you can still get to the photos. I hope it stays that way.

As far as the 5w bulb in place of the 3w bulb, I have read a lot of posts around and found no melting issues. In addition there are xenon bulbs that put out a whole lot less heat, and then again there are the LED's but you do have to be careful about the coloring and the directional emphasis of the bulb. I couldn't find a clear cut "use this bulb." Definitely could stand the extra couple watts though.

As far as the service lights, If they happen to work fine, if not I have better places to put time and energy. Now to the brake lights that decided to stop working.