Thread: Window Shadowline Trim???

My Cars
    E34 535/ E39 540/E46 330

Window Shadowline Trim???

Hello all, I have a 2000 540iA, I really like the blackout look/ shadowline trim and I have been looking for a trim kit to replace the chrome around my windows, but can usually only find new kits for the lower body. I do not want to paint or modify my existing chrome trim because I'd rather save it in case I want to put it back on, sell it, or something else, it's just the way I am lol. Does anyone know of any kits that have this window trim I am looking for? Or maybe I should just buy some chrome trim and paint it black myself (cringe). Any recommendations or suggestions would be helpful, unless it's buy an M5 or M-Sport 540i6 because then I'd have to ask how to get the money for either of those lol.
    Current:
    1991 535iA [Daily]
    2000 540iA [Project // Bad Guides]
    2003 330CiA [Project]

Retired:
    1994 318i5 [Problems -> Part Out]
    2002 530iA [Too many issues]
    2002 Ford Taurus SEL 24V DOHC [No power to wheels]
    2003 Nissan Altima 2.5A [Taken as evidence]
    2002 Toyota Corolla LE [Totaled]

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i

Quote Originally Posted by NoClue View Post
    Hello all, I have a 2000 540iA, I really like the blackout look/ shadowline trim and I have been looking for a trim kit to replace the chrome around my windows, but can usually only find new kits for the lower body. I do not want to paint or modify my existing chrome trim because I'd rather save it in case I want to put it back on, sell it, or something else, it's just the way I am lol. Does anyone know of any kits that have this window trim I am looking for? Or maybe I should just buy some chrome trim and paint it black myself (cringe). Any recommendations or suggestions would be helpful, unless it's buy an M5 or M-Sport 540i6 because then I'd have to ask how to get the money for either of those lol.
    Honestly, I’ve never seen any shadow line trim for windows. I may be wrong, look at ECS Tuning, they have a shadowline trim kit for the lower body and maybe the windows too but I’m not too confident in that. I hate to say it but you might be better off buying a chrome trim set and plastidipping it maybe. The trim pieces are chrome so you could also try anodizing them with a lot of black dye. I would add a link to diy anodizing chrome but I can’t find one, I’d assume the process is the same for aluminum. Good luck, hope to see what you decide to do!!

-edit-

Just checked online, didn’t see any for an E39 but I did see some for a VW, So they do exist. Probably just not for our beautiful cars. However this video came up. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KIRTfbda8so

Might be worth taking a look at. He uses some black rust-oleum paint+primer and it turns out looking pretty good.
    Last edited by Mandagon4d; 03-02-2018 at 07:39 PM.

My Cars
    E34 535/ E39 540/E46 330
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandagon4d View Post
    Honestly, I’ve never seen any shadow line trim for windows. I may be wrong, look at ECS Tuning, they have a shadowline trim kit for the lower body and maybe the windows too but I’m not too confident in that
    That's what I thought, I checked ECS and they only have the lower body kit, I could've sworn I found some place with a nice mobile website like ECS last week when I was at work sometime, but I haven't been able to find it since. Thanks for the fast reply! Never thought about dying them, I don't know much about that process so I will have to look into it some.
    Even when I chose M5 or 2003 540i it still did not have the window trim, so I may be out of luck. I have looked on many websites and have not been able to find them and I want to do it the right way, especially since I'm sure I'll get the "M5 poser" response, at least they will have to say it looks like good quality though lol.
    Current:
    1991 535iA [Daily]
    2003 330CiA [Project]

Retired:

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Had my trim done in Vinyl wrap. Turned out well. Was like $150. two years ago.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    It's out there. Go to realoem.com to search parts. You may have to locate a VIN of a car that you know has shadowline trim.

See item 4 at the link:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=41_0028

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
    It's out there. Go to realoem.com to search parts. You may have to locate a VIN of a car that you know has shadowline trim.

See item 4 at the link:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=41_0028
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    Had my trim done in Vinyl wrap. Turned out well. Was like $150. two years ago.

That's what I thought, I checked ECS and they only have the lower body kit, I could've sworn I found some place with a nice mobile website like ECS last week when I was at work sometime, but I haven't been able to find it since. Thanks for the fast reply! Never thought about dying them, I don't know much about that process so I will have to look into it some.
    You could vinyl wrap them like the jp5 above did, his also looks pretty good, you could do that at home for a fraction of the cost it would take to get it done. However it is a tedious process. I’m curious about this too, so I’m gonna check realoem like crazy4trains said too and report back with any or no information depending on how it comes out.

-edit-

Did you by chance do a google search for something along the lines of “Black E39 Window trim”? You might have some luck there. That’s what I just did and got numerous results from eBay, i.e, https://m.ebay.com/itm/1997-2003-BMW...80?_mwBanner=1
    Last edited by Mandagon4d; 03-02-2018 at 09:41 PM.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Real OEM listed parts at around $50. a piece so at least $400. new for a sedan. eBay wasn't much cheaper.
    I tried this tape first and if you have talent it can look pretty good, I wanted it perfect so I wrote the check. No Regrets, I have to tell people its vinyl.
    http://shadowlinetrim.com/

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    Even when I chose M5 or 2003 540i it still did not have the window trim, so I may be out of luck. I have looked on many websites and have not been able to find them and I want to do it the right way, especially since I'm sure I'll get the "M5 poser" response, at least they will have to say it looks like good quality though lol.
    I have a complete set of factory gloss black window trim from an M5, PM me if interested.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    I have the chrome trim and didnt like it I tried to vinyl wrap it but came out like crap. What I did was plati dipped it and it came out pretty good.

My Cars
    Too many
    I know several people who used the tape methods described in previous posts. Some had good results, some not so hot. I don't have the patience.
    I ran across a shadowline equipped 528iT in one of the local pick and pulls. I removed all of the upper and lower trim (actually not hard) with the exception of the front bumper trim. The car I took the trim from had an aftermarket front bumper cover. It cost me $140 for all of the pieces.
    I cleaned and degreased the trim pieces, lightly scuffed the pieces, painted them with NAPA trim paint and matte finish clear paint with UV blockers. Since I had to reuse the front bumper trim I removed them from my car, cleaned, degreased, and scuffed the pieces and painted with the same paints.
    I'm very pleased with the results.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    00 740iS
    84 635 (euro)
    88 M6
    84 745i
    88 325iX
    92 850i (6 spd)

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I have two sets (1 matte black and 1 gloss black) available. PM if interested. Both are complete including inside and outside trim below windows, upper trim around edges of doors, B pillars and the pillars between the movable and non-movable windows on the rear doors.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it wasn't only M5s that got the gloss black, so no "M5 Poser" comments will apply. It was an option on non-Ms and standard on M5 and 2003 540i M-Sports. I personally have seen at least 1 540iT from 2003 that was a non-Sport and had the gloss black trim.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    GeorgekenNA
    I have one set for 70USD+shipping to USA (~15USD). Pm me if interested

Išsiųsta naudojantis SM-A510F Tapatalk 4 Lt

My Cars
    1990 bmw 735il
    Get some black plasti-dip, comes in flat or glossy black.
    Old newspaper & masking tape to mask off the car & windows.
    Use about 5 or 6 layers...The more layers you have, the easier it is to peel off if you want.
    I did this to a diamond black E36 325is, including the grilles.
    Looked wicked with black side trim & tinted windows.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E34 535/ E39 540/E46 330
    Thanks to everyone for the responses, my biggest worry would be that like some have said, DIY (spray can or vinyl) either looks perfect or it doesn't look good at all. I will have to check Ebay more and look through some listings outside of the US and maybe consider PlastiDipping them (PlastiDip sounds excellent in theory but I have seen too many bad or rice PlastiDip DIY to want to use it myself).
    Also I may look into buying from someone here or going to local junkyards and seeing what they have, there is 2 or 3 E39s around me in junkyards and never thought to try there for this, or I may go there and get some more chrome trim and see how the PlastiDip works.
    Current:
    1991 535iA [Daily]
    2003 330CiA [Project]

Retired:

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i

Quote Originally Posted by jwetz View Post
    Get some black plasti-dip, comes in flat or glossy black.
    Old newspaper & masking tape to mask off the car & windows.
    Use about 5 or 6 layers...The more layers you have, the easier it is to peel off if you want.
    I did this to a diamond black E36 325is, including the grilles.
    Looked wicked with black side trim & tinted windows.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
    I back this. Wonderful, easy, fairly cheap and looks great.

-edit-

And if you want to change it, aka take it off, or you can just peel it off and do a different color (I wouldn’t, I don’t think anyway, that’ll have me thinking for a while..)
    Last edited by Mandagon4d; 03-04-2018 at 07:57 PM.

My Cars
    E34 535/ E39 540/E46 330
    Update:
    I found someone local on Craigslist parting out a 1999 528i which had all the shadowline trim, it was easier for him to just take off the doors and give me them, so for $220 delivered to my house I was able to get:
    - all 4 doors, good condition, complete and functional with everything (interior & exterior shadowline window trim and lower moulding shadowline trim)
    - rest of the lower moulding shadowline trim
    - few other interior wood trim pieces
    - few tools from the trunk toolkit
    - round pin cd changer adapter to the two different connectors (if someone knows what this is, please help me to know what it's called since this is actually damaged and I need one)
    The downside is the doors are dark gray/ tan interior and mine is black/ black interior, so I will have the tan interior parts if anyone is interested.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Update:
    I found someone local on Craigslist parting out a 1999 528i which had all the shadowline trim, it was easier for him to just take off the doors and give me them, so for $220 delivered to my house I was able to get:
    - all 4 doors, good condition, complete and functional with everything (interior & exterior shadowline window trim and lower moulding shadowline trim)
    - rest of the lower moulding shadowline trim
    - few other interior wood trim pieces
    - few tools from the trunk toolkit
    - round pin cd changer adapter to the two different connectors (if someone knows what this is, please help me to know what it's called since this is actually damaged and I need one)
    The downside is the doors are dark gray/ tan interior and mine is black/ black interior, so I will have the tan interior parts if anyone is interested.
    For your radio adapter:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/61126913957/
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/61126913955/
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/61126924785/
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    E34 535/ E39 540/E46 330
    Sorry I didn't specify, it was the cable that attaches in the trunk to the CD changer itself. I took apart the outer part of the wiring and I believe it's homemade, the outer heat shrink, I googled the characters on it and it is stuff you can buy online or at hardware stores, so I guess unless I source the cables and make my own, I'm stuck with a CD changer that pops and crackles for some of the CDs. Thanks though, I appreciate the fast response.

My Cars
    Too many
    Sorry I didn't specify, it was the cable that attaches in the trunk to the CD changer itself. I took apart the outer part of the wiring and I believe it's homemade, the outer heat shrink, I googled the characters on it and it is stuff you can buy online or at hardware stores, so I guess unless I source the cables and make my own, I'm stuck with a CD changer that pops and crackles for some of the CDs. Thanks though, I appreciate the fast response.
    If you only have popping and crackling on some CDs it's possible that the CDs are the problem. If your CD player were defective I'd expect the noises to be present all of the time.

00 740iS
    84 635 (euro)
    88 M6
    84 745i
    88 325iX
    92 850i (6 spd)

My Cars
    E34 535/ E39 540/E46 330
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupenut View Post
    If you only have popping and crackling on some CDs it's possible that the CDs are the problem. If your CD player were defective I'd expect the noises to be present all of the time.

That's what I would assume but I know some of the CDs without a doubt are good and the others I will swap out and see if the issue persists, the CDs I used to test functionality were mainly the same and I did test all 6 trays in the slider both times I tested. The popping and crackling was present when I also did not have any CDs in the trays

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Lol, If it is doing it when no cd’s are in the tray, then obviously it’s not scratched up cd’s....
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    E34 535/ E39 540/E46 330
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Lol, If it is doing it when no cd’s are in the tray, then obviously it’s not scratched up cd’s....
    Lol now that I think about it, that is absolutely correct, I plan on getting a Dynavin very soon, so after that I will either get a new magazine for the changer that has the same connections or try to make my own connector for the round connector on the changer.
    Current:
    1991 535iA [Daily]
    2003 330CiA [Project]

Retired: