Thread: Plumbing catch can back into intake...with a turbo. Were to pull vacuum from?

My Cars
    1988 325ic

Plumbing catch can back into intake...with a turbo. Were to pull vacuum from?

Hi Guys,

I have a turbo obd1 s52 in my E30 vert. I currently have my valve cover vent, just aimed at the ground.

I'm sick of smelling this every time i drive my car, so I bought a catch can.

I want to plumb it back into the intake...so the can sees vacuum.

With my car being turbo, how are you guys doing this?

I know I need it before the turbo, but I just have my air filer clamped onto the turbo housing...so not easy to to, unless I somehow get a fitting on the end of my air filter.

How are you guys grabbing vacuum *without pressurizing the engine under boost?

Anyone tap the aluminum turbo housing to get vacuum..just for a catch can?

Thanks for the help.

Jay
    Last edited by dunebuggyjay; 03-02-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    A filter right on the compressor housing is horrible - you're sucking up a ton of hot air from the turbo manifold/turbo itself. Run a proper intake pipe - put the catch can fitting there.

My Cars
    1988 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    A filter right on the compressor housing is horrible - you're sucking up a ton of hot air from the turbo manifold/turbo itself. Run a proper intake pipe - put the catch can fitting there.

Yup I hear you.

Unfortunately I don't have much of any room in an e30. I may be able to move the filter a few inches away from the turbo... if that. I'll have to look at it tonight.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Try moving it away from the fan and under hood airflow to reduce the smell. If you recirculate into the motor, you need a really good can or you will cost your ic and piping and intake manifold with oil. Look at the baffled cams the N54 hotrodders like. Maybe burger, provent, etc.

My Cars
    e36 vert
    What kind of vac are you getting at idle? I have this uro 06A103465 with a line to a catch can. And then the CCV goes directly to it. The catch can has a filter on the top

My Cars
    e36 vert
    Quote Originally Posted by fusionr300zx View Post
    What kind of vac are you getting at idle? I have this uro 06A103465 with a line to a catch can. And then the CCV goes directly to it. The catch can has a filter on the top
    Heres a pic of my setup. I get -19/20Hg at idle with just this setup. You can also have a hose hooked up to a draw valve on your exhaust to get more pressure out of the crank case.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e36 vert
    Quote Originally Posted by fusionr300zx View Post
    Heres a pic of my setup. I get -19/20Hg at idle with just this setup. You can also have a hose hooked up to a draw valve on your exhaust to get more pressure out of the crank case.

P.S. dont knock me for how shitty my setup is lol it works, ill clean it up and all that jazz later on.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I wish I could fit one of those VW oil filler neck baffled cans but my obd2 valve cover has the neck at the front of the car and the fitting wont clear.

My Cars
    e36 vert
    Damn. Well take the cover off, drill a hole and have a AN fitting welded on.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 7SERIES
    What kind of vac are you getting at idle?

car detailing thornhill

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    Something easy I saw recently and wanted to replicate... simply place a vented catch can near the intake/air filter. The turbo/filter should do a decent job of absorbing most the smells without saturating the piping with an oily mess.

I’m dealing with the smell problem too, and did not have much luck with the valve cover port>catch can>exhaust scavenge fitting method (didn’t pull enough vac to really let it breathe) and also not much luck with the ‘hose to ground’ method as I don’t like leaving oil spots under me when I park (probably shouldn’t have removed the baffle and ground out the port on the valve cover port but she can surely breath now!)

Currently just using a vented catch can + window(s) open which is perfect for a Texas car without ac lol...

One more solution is the valve cover port>catch can>secondary air pump on a Hobbs switch>exhaust scavenge fitting. Only thing stopping me was that while pretty slick, I got the wrong type of Hobbs and lost interest :/

I’m also now kinda intrigued by the idea of tapping the air filter itself... but with the catch can low in the bay so oil can’t travel up, just fumes. I’ll try the first option and report back - can near air filter

1995 325i | OBD1 S52 | S50 cams | AA Turbo TD06 20g / 42lb / Porsche maf | .140 MLS | F1 s3 clutch | Ultimate SSK | AKG 75D subframe/diff bushings | 3.23 LSD | Powerflex LCAB/RTAB | e46 fca | Raceland coils | BMP rear arms | DEPO HID | AEM Failsafe | Aeromotive FPR | Walbo 255 | 3" Magnaflow muffler/cat/res | 17x8.5/9.5" 225/45 & 255/40