Thread: camber on non-M e36 track car with KW Clubsports

My Cars
    1997 328is

camber on non-M e36 track car with KW Clubsports

Hey all -

I recently put on a set of KW Clubsports on my track-only non-M e36 ('97 328is). I love them so far (they were good for 3+ seconds at Buttonwillow and Willow Springs over my H&R/Bilsteins), but I can't get enough camber in the front. I have the front camber plates maxed and they're only about 1.9-2.0 (deg neg).

Any ideas on how to get more camber in the front? I'd love to be running -3.0 or more.

Thanks,
    Matt

My Cars
    If you have enough room between the tire and the spring/strut/adjuster:

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensio...him-Kit_2.html
    2002 BMW M Roaster.
    1998 BMW 328is SCCA E Production road racer.

My Cars
    e30 M3, 335d
    You should be able to dial in much more camber than that during your next alignment.

It is worth noting that the camber plate adds that -2˚ on top of your existing camber. If you are running -1.5˚ plus you have set the plate to -2.0˚ then you are actually at a -3.5˚ total.

- Max

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy@ApexRaceParts View Post
    You should be able to dial in much more camber than that during your next alignment.

It is worth noting that the camber plate adds that -2˚ on top of your existing camber. If you are running -1.5˚ plus you have set the plate to -2.0˚ then you are actually at a -3.5˚ total.

- Max
    I thought so too, but last time I had an alignment done at a shop they were only able to get about -2. I later got myself a camber gauge, and I was able to get a bit more (like -2.2) but that's about it. I had this problem with my last setup as well (H&R springs and Bilstein struts), but I thought I'd have more room with the coilovers.

I seem to recall that you can't get as much camber on a non-M car, is that right? I'll try the Bimmerworld kit and see if can get another -1 deg.

Thanks!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    FYI, I use the BW shims (or washers) to get from ~2.75 to 3.75 neg camber on my 95 M3 (using GC sport camber plates).
    You do have to watch tire to coil-over clearance.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by roebling View Post
    I seem to recall that you can't get as much camber on a non-M car, is that right?
    The non-M cars are caster limited; camber should be the same.

I need to put my 328 next to an M3 and try and figure out what's different. Even with the M3 control arms, my 328 can't get to 7* caster.
    2002 BMW M Roaster.
    1998 BMW 328is SCCA E Production road racer.

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    I use KW coilovers w/ Vorshlag plates, I can get -3.6+, but need to notch my strut towers to get more (which I need for Chuckwalla, for example).

My guess would be plates on the Clubsports, but I would expect KW to supply the proper plate type for them... so I hope that isn't the case.

Congrats on the lap time improvements!

My Cars
    e39 M5
    Do you have the strut tower reinforcement plates? Those will limit your adjustment, I had to trim mine.

My Cars
    e36
    I have the same setup on my non-m gts2 car. I had always had an issue getting camber past 3.0 on my front right only (front left maxed at 3.5), so I put BW camber shims in to make up the difference and now I can max out at around -4 degrees on both corners. Have it set at -3.5. Couldn’t ever figure out why I had this issue in the first place, though. Just about everything on my car has been replaced.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    This is fantastic. Thank you all. I'll try the Bimmerworld shims and see where I end up!

Thanks,
    Matt