Thread: '07 B7, Misfire and VVT errors

My Cars
    We have 5 BMW's (Cars)

'07 B7, Misfire and VVT errors

2007 Alpina B7, 116,xxx miles. Lots of records, have access to the PO. He claims he didn't have any runnability issues. Bought Dec 1, 18. Drove it 8 hrs home with no issues.

NEXT Day, the problems started.
    1st time the wife drove the car, wouldn't start at the car wash (got "the light click).
    Got it to start, took it home and charged the battery. Did diagnostics and read on here. Seems that replacing the IVM would resole this. Ordered one (From BMW).

While I was waiting on the IVM to arrive, drove it and got a dash full of lights, trans failsafe etc. Stopped at a Speedway to fill it up (See if it reset on restart). no joy.

Replaced the IVM, cleared codes, no more starting /error issues.

Wife drove it the 2nd time, called be said the engine light is flashing and running like CRAP!!!

Retrieved the car, had #2 and 5 cyl misfires. Swapped coils/plugs. 2 moned to 3, 5 stayed.
    Replace all coils plugs. misfiring on more cylinders. WTF did I just buy???

Thought, the runnability issues started after the Speedway fillup. Drain gas, put in fresh gas of known quality (We use it in our M3's) and run it. After @ 10 miles, the misfires clear up. So, Bad gas!!

Then, it's winter. park it till 2 days ago (Drove it a few times in there with no issues. including "full boost" pulls).

Yesterday afternoon, driving to my office. Hard freeway acceleration, Check light flashes, Running rough. Stop and pull codes, Misfire on #8. Clear them and drive "normally". Error comes back , misfire #6 and #8.

Clear again, drive home with no issues.

This morning, pullin out of the drive. Again!
    Misfire on #2, #6, #8 and code P1056 "Valvetronic (VVT) Supply Voltage Control Motor Low Input (Bank 1)"

So,,, thoughts??

Bill

I am replacing the fuel filter to see if it's clogged (14 day lead time as there aren't any in the US).

My Cars
    850ci, M5, Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    2007 Alpina B7, 116,xxx miles. Lots of records, have access to the PO. He claims he didn't have any runnability issues. Bought Dec 1, 18. Drove it 8 hrs home with no issues.

NEXT Day, the problems started.
    1st time the wife drove the car, wouldn't start at the car wash (got "the light click).
    Got it to start, took it home and charged the battery. Did diagnostics and read on here. Seems that replacing the IVM would resole this. Ordered one (From BMW).

While I was waiting on the IVM to arrive, drove it and got a dash full of lights, trans failsafe etc. Stopped at a Speedway to fill it up (See if it reset on restart). no joy.

Replaced the IVM, cleared codes, no more starting /error issues.

Wife drove it the 2nd time, called be said the engine light is flashing and running like CRAP!!!

Retrieved the car, had #2 and 5 cyl misfires. Swapped coils/plugs. 2 moned to 3, 5 stayed.
    Replace all coils plugs. misfiring on more cylinders. WTF did I just buy???

Thought, the runnability issues started after the Speedway fillup. Drain gas, put in fresh gas of known quality (We use it in our M3's) and run it. After @ 10 miles, the misfires clear up. So, Bad gas!!

Then, it's winter. park it till 2 days ago (Drove it a few times in there with no issues. including "full boost" pulls).

Yesterday afternoon, driving to my office. Hard freeway acceleration, Check light flashes, Running rough. Stop and pull codes, Misfire on #8. Clear them and drive "normally". Error comes back , misfire #6 and #8.

Clear again, drive home with no issues.

This morning, pullin out of the drive. Again!
    Misfire on #2, #6, #8 and code P1056 "Valvetronic (VVT) Supply Voltage Control Motor Low Input (Bank 1)"

So,,, thoughts??

Bill

I am replacing the fuel filter to see if it's clogged (14 day lead time as there aren't any in the US).
    A friend of mine had a bunch of misfire issues. Changed coils, plugs, CPS etc. no help. Changed fuel filter. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Yep - that would be me, and I replaced the fuel pump too(and I just bought the last US based filter/regulator - make sure it is the ALPINA specific one). Random misfire was fuel filter/fuel pressure regulator. But your VVT error might be the VANOS Solenoid O-rings. This is an easy thing to check (there are several write-ups and YouTube videos on this subject). Each of the 4 solenoids can be pulled and there is a high probability that the screens are clogged with carbon build up - they can be cleaned with MAF spray cleaner, new O-rings are about $10-$12 for all.

At around the 100,000 mile mark, these things should be replaced if they haven't already.

Off-topic: If your car has not had the transmission fluid changed, I would do that as soon as possible. I did this last weekend, and it was overdue. Car seems to run smoother and "crisper" now.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    We have 5 BMW's (Cars)
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    Yep - that would be me, and I replaced the fuel pump too(and I just bought the last US based filter/regulator - make sure it is the ALPINA specific one). Random misfire was fuel filter/fuel pressure regulator. But your VVT error might be the VANOS Solenoid O-rings. This is an easy thing to check (there are several write-ups and YouTube videos on this subject). Each of the 4 solenoids can be pulled and there is a high probability that the screens are clogged with carbon build up - they can be cleaned with MAF spray cleaner, new O-rings are about $10-$12 for all.

At around the 100,000 mile mark, these things should be replaced if they haven't already.

Off-topic: If your car has not had the transmission fluid changed, I would do that as soon as possible. I did this last weekend, and it was overdue. Car seems to run smoother and "crisper" now.
    Figures, you beat me to the filter.

Yes, I ordered the Alpina one. I have the solenoid o-rings as well. Hopefully the filter will be in the US soon.

Car is parked for now. Driving one of the others in the mean time.
    Sure is pretty sitting there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    1 E38, 1 E39, 2 E46's, 1 E65, 1 R22, 1 R75/5

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    Figures, you beat me to the filter.

Yes, I ordered the Alpina one. I have the solenoid o-rings as well. Hopefully the filter will be in the US soon.

Car is parked for now. Driving one of the others in the mean time.
    Sure is pretty sitting there.

Mine is parked also.
    Alternator bracket leak. Oil soaked the alternator and it died a slow death. Replacing the O-rings, seal and alternator, but there is a ton of stuff in between me and those seals that have to be removed. This is definitely not for the faint of heart. If you haven't had this repair done, you may want to keep an eye out for it - starts as just some weeping oil and in a very short time turns into a deluge. Once you get the oil and road crap off everything, it does look pretty - I hate working on filthy cars...

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    We have 5 BMW's (Cars)
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    Mine is parked also.
    Alternator bracket leak. Oil soaked the alternator and it died a slow death. Replacing the O-rings, seal and alternator, but there is a ton of stuff in between me and those seals that have to be removed. This is definitely not for the faint of heart. If you haven't had this repair done, you may want to keep an eye out for it - starts as just some weeping oil and in a very short time turns into a deluge. Once you get the oil and road crap off everything, it does look pretty - I hate working on filthy cars...
    Then send me the filter !!! sheesh.

LOL

Fortunately, that repair has already been done on mine. All covers and timing cover seals done @ 20k ago. PO thought they had replaced the heads as it was a $6500 repair. To give him credit, he was Quite proactive about maintenance on it. Even had the supercharger rebuilt @ 200 miles before I bought it.

Sadly,, no. Valve stem seats have not been touched. I have only seen 1 "puff of smoke", so they aren't "Bad" yet. Will still watch everything closely.

Having her just sit there is quite frustrating. Guess I will have to drive something else instead.

B

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Sorry, filter/regulator already installed.

Thank goodness I at least have my E31 to drive, so it's not as bad...

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    We have 5 BMW's (Cars)
    Update.
    Replaced fuel filter. Added injector cleaner and filled tank (93 octane). Can great for 420 miles. Cyl 1 misfire Sat night.

1 E38, 1 E39, 2 E46's, 1 E65, 1 R22, 1 R75/5

My Cars
    We have 5 BMW's (Cars)
    Next update, Last Friday, Another 250 miles, cyl 1 misfire again. This time it wouldn't clear.

Let it sit and cool down overnight, pulled #1 plug, was fouled and bridged. Cleaned and the gap looked,, small.
    Checked it and it was gapped to 0.005"? WTF! I put these plugs in. And yes, I gapped them right (At least I thought I did). Maybe the electrode hit and bent while I was putting it in? There are no impact marks on the plug. so,, Dunno??

Pulled 2 and 3, both clean and gapped correctly. Regapped #1 and reinstalled (pulled and checked, just to make sure).
    Car runs fine, #1 is a lil higher on the roughness numbers, but the plug wasn't "clean".

Been running it HARD for @ 3 days now, no issues.
    20180526_082211[1].jpg

INPA question, what do negative numbers in roughness mean??

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    great catch...sometimes its the easy things and chasing codes can be overated
    2000 740i Sport