Thread: Dynamic Drive Malfunction

My Cars
    2005 BMW 645ci E64,

Dynamic Drive Malfunction

New to the forum here. I have a 2005 E64 with 113K miles. I have been troubleshooting a power issue that throws a "DYNAMIC DRIVE MALFUNCTION" message. Typically it will happen within the first 20 minutes of driving and can be cleared by cycling ignition power. I have noticed that it is associated with a small engine surge and a split second power cut of the radio, headlight switch backlighting, and the drivers door control backlighting. On occasion it will cause an A/C failure, but very rarely. The message has also displayed as a "DYNAMIC DRIVE FAILURE" on two occasions. I have replaced the battery and had it registered to the car. I have had the stealership and an independent shop scan the central computer, and to my surprise, zero fault codes logged. The car also has a hunting idle when cold but no known vacuum leaks. I have read some similar issues on this forum pointing to the alternator. That seems to make some logic, if the alternator is not producing stable current and is loading and unloading the field, that may cause enough load on the engine to cause a subtle surge. I know the cars are voltage sensitive so any over or under voltage production could play havoc with other systems. I was looking for some insight before I throw an alternator at it. Thanks,

My Cars
    2001 525it
    when the alternator starts to act up the dynamic drive systems seems to react first why I don't know but we have had a lot of e60's have this happen to them

My Cars
    2005 BMW 645ci E64,
    Thanks for the reply.

My Cars
    BMW M6 M63 V10 6 sp
    Hi; I'm tracking down a gremlin in my 2007 E63 M6... I have this DSC warning come up when the car is driving at very moderate speeds, engine goes into limp mode. Shortly after, the ABS malfunction sign comes up. Any clues?

My Cars
    2001 5301 5spd with BBS
    try buying a voltage reader that plugs into your cigarette lighter. This way you can watch what is going on in real time. I did this when mine was acting up and all I did was put a new $50 voltage regulator in my alternator..... problem solved.

My Cars
    BMW M6 M63 V10 6 sp
    Since my last post on this tread, I found out the throttle actuators were for 90% of my car's gremlins, replaced them with lifetime guarantee units, that problem is forever solved. Still some minor gremlins, occasional... few codes to go by... here's where a good experienced mechanic/technician is worth what he charges: changed the alternator, 97.5% of gremlins gone... Found that the ABS/ Dynamic Stability @#@$^% unit is acting up... Will buy a used unit, have it rebuilt and installed on the same day I take mine out. Last resource, take mine out, send it in, wait 1 week, reinstall.