Thread: US Driver side head light adjustment

My Cars
    1991 850i

US Driver side head light adjustment

I have been reading previous threads and Tim's site, but still can figure out how to adjust my driver IMG_2277.JPGside light to aim higher. Do I need to take the air intake box to adjust the aim?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    You may need to verify if all your headlight adjusters are present AND in working order. If you can’t adjust with those, you may need to verify that the mechanism arms are at the correct length.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    1991 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    You may need to verify if all your headlight adjusters are present AND in working order. If you can’t adjust with those, you may need to verify that the mechanism arms are at the correct length.
    Problem is I don't know if I have all the headlight adjusters.

Can someone share a pic of what to look for? Turn the adjuster clock wise or counter clock wise?
    I read all these threads about adjusting mechanism, but for a newbie like me can't seem to locate them.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Can you physically move the headlight lense left & right and/or up and down? If so, your headlight adjusters are broken or missing.

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    1991 850i
    I can physically move left to right, but can not move it up or down.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Headlight adjusters are broken/missing - not good.

They used to make repair kit, but that is no longer available from BMW. There are a couple of different ways you can repair/replace them, they have all been posted here on the forum.

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi
    I used to stick a small but long flat screwdriver into the back of the adjuster (located in the valley between the low and fog lights) and turn clockwise to raise the beam up. But it does look like your threaded wheel (adjuster) is missing.
    Last edited by Dr. T; 03-01-2018 at 08:23 AM.

My Cars
    1991 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
    I used to stick a small but long flat screwdriver into the back of the adjuster (located in the valley between the low and fog lights) and turn clockwise to raise the beam up. But it does look like your threaded wheel (adjuster) is missing.
    i think I have that adjuster. Can anyone take a pic of this adjuster location?

Thanks

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    Are the rebuild kits still available from Max Lumens?

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    From you picture it is clear that both gears are missing. If you look for a circular shield open towards the back of the car, with a small (1/4") opening at the top, the gears would be visible through the openings. Both are clearly gone. The end of the adjuster shaft is slotted, so you can use a screwdriver to turn the shafts, the upper one will raise or lower the lights. You then have to secure the headlight assembly so it is as far back as it will move; the gears would have done that originally. I have all my gears, but still wire the assembly to the metal frame of the headlight enclosure, which prevents the gears from coming off. If you adjust the lights with the screwdriver while holding the headlights back, you can get them properly adjusted, then wire them into position.

I am working to 3D print the necessary gears, have orders for over 20 sets, 4 gears for both lights, and 6 buckets where the shafts attach to the front of the headlight enclosure. Look at the thread to see how this is going.

My Cars
    1991 850i
    Is there a picture or a diagram of a headlight assembly that has all the adjusters?

Thanks for your help.

My Cars
    1995 840 Ci, 1959 Sprite
    I had this same problem with trying to understand the adjustment functions. Pics on the bmw parts list and diagrams help some but leave a lot to the imagination. I finally gave up and since all adjusters and related parts were gone or broken and I had no source for parts, I tried a very Rube method to adjust mine and hold in place somehow, anyhow. Since this adjustment only takes place rarely in the life of the car, I decided to take matters to a more simple level. I know, how dare I and loose all that BMW perfect engineering etc. You have to do whatever you have to do. The lights were moving all over the place with every bump in the road. So finally, I used electrical 14 gauge solid copper strand wire with plastic insulation that is used in home wiring that withstands high currents and heat in its intended use. By judicious use and placements, this can be used to suspend the moving pieces in both planes and can be readjusted when and if ever needed. The plastic pieces used originally were poor at best and did not withstand the test of time. I fear any new replacements will suffer the same fate with time. My 14 gauge repair has held up well or 8 years now. You can say what you want, but in the end, the adjustment and stability of the headlight placements is what matters. Max Lumens does make great parts but when all your other parts were gone or distroyed by the previous owner, gotta do what ya gotta do!