Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: My '33 Hotrod is DONE....1/31/2023 update pics at post 515

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    Jim, you can watch most of it on youtube. You can also rent the whole move on youtube.
    Google American Graffiti documentary and it will list the streaming services that have it right now.
    You can see 2/3rds of it for free on youtube. Thats what I did.
    Was very good and would pay to rent it.
    Title is Making of American Graffiti
    Saw most of it and enjoyed it immensely but wanted to shoot the TV when it was clipped off.
    Can't find it @ Netflix or Amazon, Arggh!

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

JimLev is online now Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Saw most of it and enjoyed it immensely but wanted to shoot the TV when it was clipped off.
    Can't find it @ Netflix or Amazon, Arggh!
    ^-Same here

My Cars
    1999 323i/5 2002 540i/6
    Jim, I'm sure you've said it somewhere but I scrolled for a while and didn't see it. What engine management are you running?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by seagreen323i View Post
    Jim, I'm sure you've said it somewhere but I scrolled for a while and didn't see it. What engine management are you running?

540 has the ME7.2
    LS3 has the stock GM ECU that GM removed key detection, CAT monitoring, and a few other things not required for a aftermarket build.

My Cars
    1999 323i/5 2002 540i/6
    Was wondering if you were running a holly, they have pretty trick traction control systems.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    I guess one would call it done, done enough to get it registered yesterday and meet some car guys for lunch today.
    It does awesome burnouts. I’ll get someone to video one soon.

Attachment 711842

Attachment 711843

Attachment 711847
    Holy crap Jim, I totally missed this! Looks AMAZING!!! Congrats!

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Thanks Thad. It’s about time you showed up here.
    How’s the LS3 911 project going?
    Have you put anymore “vent holes” in any of your engines?
    If your ever out this way again let me know.
    Last edited by JimLev; 02-07-2023 at 02:17 PM.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Thanks Thad. It’s about time you showed up here.
    How’s the LS3 911 project going?
    Have you put anymore “vent holes” in any of your engines?
    If your ever out this way again let me know.
    Hey Jim!

I don't think I've added any windows to any engine blocks since I've posted here last. Lol.. Honestly, I've been having a heck of a time finding my way to my garage lately, other than a couple of brief moments in the late summer or maybe it was fall, to get the LRS out to go drifting. It has an L33 in it that has been nice and reliable at the low-ish power level I have it set at, which about as much as one Walbro 525 "Hellcat pump" can do on E85. Probably somewhere around 750 or so, since the car runs 9.6@144 in that trim.

I REEEEEALLY want to make some progress on the 996 soon, but I been pretty bogged down with work... Hopefully soon. What I'd really like is to get that thing running, and drive it out your way like the trip I took in the 540 when I brought it out there.

Anyway, back to '33 Hotrod content! The world demands videos (burnout preferably) with decent audio!

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Hey Jim!

I don't think I've added any windows to any engine blocks since I've posted here last. Lol.. Honestly, I've been having a heck of a time finding my way to my garage lately, other than a couple of brief moments in the late summer or maybe it was fall, to get the LRS out to go drifting. It has an L33 in it that has been nice and reliable at the low-ish power level I have it set at, which about as much as one Walbro 525 "Hellcat pump" can do on E85. Probably somewhere around 750 or so, since the car runs 9.6@144 in that trim.

I REEEEEALLY want to make some progress on the 996 soon, but I been pretty bogged down with work... Hopefully soon. What I'd really like is to get that thing running, and drive it out your way like the trip I took in the 540 when I brought it out there.

Anyway, back to '33 Hotrod content! The world demands videos (burnout preferably) with decent audio!
    Look who showed up. Good to see you here Thad. LRSB doing 144 in quarter! That must be intense as hell. You still doing the dog gig? Being busy is good but please corrupt us soon with some more garage craziness. That piston you sent me is still humming along just fine in the 540. Oil consumption is about nil, and compression is solid so she is holding well. Sorry for side track Jim!
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    No problem Philly (Go Eagles).
    Thad, 9.6 is friggin quick. You must have some traction problems??
    If/when you make it out this way let me know, you can stay here, we can go on a thread reduction drive.
    Yes, a proper burnout will have audio. Maybe I should get a GoPro like the Roadkill guys use then I won’t have to rely on a friend to video it.
    The burnout will have to wait, the hotrod it up on 4 jack stands. I can slightly smell gas fumes, but can’t find a leak or wet spot on any of the lines of fittings, they are all AN6. To access the tank I have to pull the roof off, not a big job.
    While it up in the air I’m going to make a few wiring changes and try to figure out the software that came with the tranny to program it.
    Thinking about pulling the mufflers and cutting them open to see what’s inside, probably nothing, they are VERY loud.
    My 540 with open headers isn’t as loud as the hotrod.
    Last edited by JimLev; 02-07-2023 at 07:22 PM.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Look who showed up. Good to see you here Thad. LRSB doing 144 in quarter! That must be intense as hell. You still doing the dog gig? Being busy is good but please corrupt us soon with some more garage craziness. That piston you sent me is still humming along just fine in the 540. Oil consumption is about nil, and compression is solid so she is holding well. Sorry for side track Jim!
    Yo Chris!! That is fantastic that your engine is still great with that random piston in it. The M62 has really gained a strong level of respect from me as some of them continue to crank along so well for so long, making really decent power. And they sound SOOOO good! If they were more readily available, I'd probably go back to playing with them for my nonsense projects. And yes, still working on dog business stuff, most of my time is devoted these days to importing bitesuits and other training equipment that is mostly for training biting dogs. Lol...

144 in the quarter in a rusted out s#itbox is intense for sure. With the TH400 and 8" converter in it, it pulls 1.55 second 60ft times on some 13 year old drag radials, so it rips 9.6s in its "turned down" state. Lol.. I'd put another fuel pump in it so I could turn it up further, but I'm already scairt.

Here is a little assortment of recent-ish LRS nonsense for amusement purposes:

- - - Updated - - -

No problem Philly (Go Eagles).
    Thad, 9.6 is friggin quick. You must have some traction problems??
    If/when you make it out this way let me know, you can stay here, we can go on a thread reduction drive.
    Yes, a proper burnout will have audio. Maybe I should get a GoPro like the Roadkill guys use then I won’t have to rely on a friend to video it.
    The burnout will have to wait, the hotrod it up on 4 jack stands. I can slightly smell gas fumes, but can’t find a leak or wet spot on any of the lines of fittings, they are all AN6. To access the tank I have to pull the roof off, not a big job.
    While it up in the air I’m going to make a few wiring changes and try to figure out the software that came with the tranny to program it.
    No traction problems at 9.6 on a prepped track Jim! Those ridiculously old drag radials do a decent job, strangely.. And a GoPro is a really great idea. Everything since a Hero 9 Black is really awesome, and even my old Hero 7 Black does a pretty good job. I rarely bother to actually use it, but when I do it works great.

Regarding your gas fumes, do you think it is just a tank venting issue? I suppose if you don't have one, you could incorporate a charcoal canister tank vent system, and vent that into the intake tract after the air filter.. That should give your tank negative pressure, and alleviate any chance for fumes I suppose.

What kind of software do you have for running the trans? 4L60e in that baby? It must be a rocket!

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    It’s already got a charcoal canister with a vent line that goes to the intake. The tank has a roll over vent that IIRC is always open unless the car rolls over. That may be where the fumes are coming from??
    The tranny is a 4L65e with a 4L70 converter. I went with this converter for it’s higher stall speed.
    GM sent me a USB stick with software to adjust everything. I can change the up/down shift points, line pressure, etc.
    Haven’t touched the line pressure.
    It’s quick. GM and others have a $500 cam and spring upgrade to add another 50HP.

Forgot to add, great videos. I’m going shopping for a GoPro right now.
    Last edited by JimLev; 02-07-2023 at 09:49 PM.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Great vids Thad. I remember you always looking for more tires to burn up. Miss seeing you around here. Keep being yourself!
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    I seem to recall emissions places having “sniffers” that could detect hydrocarbon leaks. Not sure where you’d find one, but if you can see anything maybe try tracking one of those down?
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    It’s already got a charcoal canister with a vent line that goes to the intake. The tank has a roll over vent that IIRC is always open unless the car rolls over. That may be where the fumes are coming from??
    The tranny is a 4L65e with a 4L70 converter. I went with this converter for it’s higher stall speed.
    GM sent me a USB stick with software to adjust everything. I can change the up/down shift points, line pressure, etc.
    Haven’t touched the line pressure.
    It’s quick. GM and others have a $500 cam and spring upgrade to add another 50HP.

Forgot to add, great videos. I’m going shopping for a GoPro right now.
    Interesting stuff Jim! To be honest, I always pretty much just scrap the charcoal canister and leave the vent line open to the atmosphere, but when I do that, I never seem to use the car for any civilized purposes after that. Lol

And regarding the cam stuff, I've been messing with tons of cams and valve springs, and the options are awesome for LS3s. Depending on what came in your engine, it could be that there's a lot more than 50hp still left on the table, but to go there might require a different converter. 50hp with decent drivability is DEFINITELY available. LS3s are amazing!

As for line pressure, I'd be gentle with that. I've found that it is sometimes better to have less firm shifts. It does put a tiny bit more wear on the friction materials, but it's way easier on the hard parts.

Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Great vids Thad. I remember you always looking for more tires to burn up. Miss seeing you around here. Keep being yourself!
    Lol, thanks Chris!! And if you happen to ever head back to the drag strip, I want to know how it goes. I think you are still the E39 540 record holder!! Now that Nick has the better clutch in "my" car, I think maybe he could do something better than I did, but I don't think he's really inclined to do it.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Nate, we use to use something like that to sniff leaking 100% H2 from our equipment before it blew up.

Thad, I’m thinking about removing the charcoal canister and maybe plugging the tank roll over vent. The tank has a return line so I don’t think it needs to be vented.
    Cams are plentiful, mine is the stock 430HP one, there are ones for 480 or 525 hp.
    I’ve got a 12” converter good for 500ft-lbs.
    I bought the Hero 11 black last night, should be here in a few days.
    Last edited by JimLev; 02-08-2023 at 08:38 PM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Nate, we use to use something like that to sniff leaking 100% H2 from our equipment before it blew up.

Thad, I’m thinking about removing the charcoal canister and maybe plugging the tank roll over vent. The tank has a return line so I don’t think it needs to be vented.
    Cams are plentiful, mine is the stock 430HP one, there are ones for 480 or 525 hp.
    I’ve got a 12” converter good for 500ft-lbs.
    I bought the Hero 11 black last night, should be here in a few days.
    Tank needs venting, atmosphere or charcoal canister to burn vapors.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Maybe leave the charcoal canister and plumbing to the intake manifold valve and plug the roll over vent at the top of the tank that is always open unless it rolls over.
    The line to the charcoal canister is basically open to atmosphere thru the charcoal.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Maybe leave the charcoal canister and plumbing to the intake manifold valve and plug the roll over vent at the top of the tank that is always open unless it rolls over.
    The line to the charcoal canister is basically open to atmosphere thru the charcoal.
    The canister should not be open to atmosphere, that would defeat the purpose. An open vent(rollover) and the charcoal canister are at odds with one another. No?
    What about plugging it all up and using a vented cap.
    I've never had to design a vapor recovery system so no expert but do know the tank needs to breathe, somehow.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I was thinking of a closed system other than a vented cap also, as a possibility...

Jim, this is the cam I have in engine #1 for the 996. Should be interesting:

https://briantooleyracing.com/btr-ca...-33350136.html

Engine #1 is pretty stock other than a valve job by the local sprint car engine shop. Engine #2 has high compression forged pistons and probably some porting (and likely a short runner intake manifold), so if engine #1 is way over-cammed, I will probably just carry that same cam over into engine #2 and see how much better it is with the more complimentary components. On the other hand, if engine #1 is good with that cam in it, I will probably look for something even more gnarly for engine #2. The joys of LS engine life! (even if they don't have quite the same loveliness to their exhaust note as an M60/62 does...)

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I can’t see why a closed system with no vent wouldn’t work. The regulator has a return line to the tank.
    The canister has 2 open holes on the top IIRC, I’ll pull it out today and take a look.
    Maybe just eliminate the vapor recovery system altogether, many of the builds don’t use them.

I have looked at a few of the BT cams. Leo has one in his 496 (stroked 454) Chevelle.
    That stage 4 cam sounds pretty good. Nice plate too.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    I haven't looked at an evap diagram in a while Jim but think if you want to store this car in the garage (big yes), and not have any gas odors, you will want the charcoal canister there to absorb the vapors as expansion and contraction take place. On OBD2 cars, it gets purged out during certain driving condition by opening a purge valve that gets controlled by the DME. You have that function in your DME? If not, the older 70 cars had a simpler system but I'd have to look it up on the function and configuration. Maybe just a manifold connection to do the sucking part and some check valves to make sure it goes the right direction and also allow tank to breathe when car is off. I have to educate myself on this to be more help, but I bet the other FF guys must have some helpful input.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    The tank has to breathe. Expanding vapors need to vent and air must get in to allow fuel out otherwise start creating a vacuum in the tank. Faulty venting causes collapsed tanks.
    https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...cat/cat160.htm
    Last edited by ross1; 02-09-2023 at 02:22 PM.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I didn't get a chance to do much today. Philly, I forgot about the gas expanding/contracting with temp change while it's in the garage. I never smelt it in the past before I started putting some miles on it. If I'm not driving it, it's in the garage where the temp can fall to 50+ at night or 80+ in the summer without the heat or AC running.
    The ECU doesn't have an output for the purge valve that is on the engine, I have it wired to a console switch. Maybe that's where the fumes are coming from and I should to turn it on more often??
    The crate engines have a number of things deleted in the ECU, purge valve control is one of them.
    The canister is below the tank, no place to put it above the fuel tank which is just below where the top meets the back of the body.
    I've asked on the FFR forum, only got one reply that really doesn't pertain to my question.

Thanks for the info Ross, I printed it.

DSCN1800a.JPG
    Last edited by JimLev; 02-09-2023 at 07:13 PM.

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    I think that purge valve has to be there on e-rod engines, maybe there's some documentation on that? I doubt they'd make a wholly separate ECU just to remove that. Likely a software tweak.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast