Thread: Where should I start to try and diagnose a no-start 2002 E46 330i?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330i

Cool Where should I start to try and diagnose a no-start 2002 E46 330i?

Hi,

I have a 2002 E46 330i. I drove it to the store today. It seemed to be running great. When I came out to leave, it would not start.

Here's what I know ...

The battery appears to be good. Even so, I tried a jump start with no success.

Windows, door locks, radio, headlights, and sunroof all work properly when turning the key on.

Other than the parking brake light, no other lights on instrument panel illuminate when turning the key on.

When turning the key, there is no loud clicking sound. But I do hear what sounds like a couple of quiet relay noises in the engine compartment.

Other than the obvious "get it towed to a mechanic" , where should I start to try and diagnose a no-start condition on a 2002 E46 330i?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Last edited by simspace; 02-26-2018 at 05:48 PM.

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    Fuel pump do a search on how to diagnose. I'll look and see if I have it written up.

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    Pull the rear seat and fuel pump cover. Have someone crank the engine while you tap the fuel pump assemble with a small piece of wood. If it starts the fuel pump is bad. Common problem for no starts. Don't hit it too hard as you just want to shock the pump and not break anything.You can actually do it yourself you just have to operate the key with your left hand while whacking the pump with your right.

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwbob89 View Post
    Fuel pump do a search on how to diagnose. I'll look and see if I have it written up.
    Fuel pump? Car does not crank and cluster is not coming on except for the brake light. Check the battery voltage. Needs to be 12.6 or close. If jump starting made no difference it's not likely the problem but worth checking. Check the fuses including the ones in the e-box. Try a scanner and see if it communicates with the car and if any codes are found.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwbob89 View Post
    Pull the rear seat and fuel pump cover. Have someone crank the engine while you tap the fuel pump assemble with a small piece of wood. If it starts the fuel pump is bad. Common problem for no starts. Don't hit it too hard as you just want to shock the pump and not break anything.You can actually do it yourself you just have to operate the key with your left hand while whacking the pump with your right.
    @bmwbob89 thanks for the response. I don't think it's the fuel pump.

Unfortunately, the car is completely dead. It does not crank.

I turn the the key and there is nothing, other than the very barely audible relay clicking that I hear in the engine compartment when I open the hood and stick my head in there.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by randy72877 View Post
    ... Check the battery voltage. Needs to be 12.6 or close. If jump starting made no difference it's not likely the problem but worth checking. Check the fuses including the ones in the e-box. Try a scanner and see if it communicates with the car and if any codes are found.
    @randy72877, thanks great suggestions. I will start with these and see what I find out.

My Cars
    18 LCI M2 BSM MT
    Unfortunately there's a good chance it's the starter. I had to have mine done a couple months ago (too much of a job to DiY, for me anyway)

edit - OK I see the dash doesn't light up either - maybe lucky and it's not the starter. I read a lot of reports of bad ground and main battery + connections causing no-start problems while troubleshooting mine.
    Last edited by CT Sean; 02-27-2018 at 11:24 AM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    How old is the battery? They tend to die in cold weather as the chemistry slooows down as the temperature drops. Also, check the connections at the battery. They need to be very tight. The engine ground is located under the engine, on the exhaust side of the engine at the oil pan. The cable is brown. Check things first before spending money on a new starter.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    "Other than the parking brake light, no other lights on instrument panel illuminate when turning the key on." - is this when key is in the second position or first? Sounds like more of an electrical issue like MarcoZandrini points out, in which case I would be looking at battery voltage first when the key is off and when the key is turned to position 2. It shouldn't be any lower than 11.8-12V.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    For the best answers..read reports from BMW schooled in Bremerhaven BMW university... in Germany....then report back.
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 03-01-2018 at 02:54 PM.