Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: E46 FM reception

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T

E46 FM reception

OLD subject, but sifting through the search function is awful. So, the story--

I have a mid 2001 production E46 Touring. ONLY options are metallic paint, Sport Touring package, and wood trim. NO telephone or Nav prep. I installed an aftermarket radio. The original radio has TWO antenna leads that correspond to the two plugs on the antenna amp in the back of the car. The new radio has only one antenna lead. I have learned that in late 2002 the amps went to a single lead. My FM reception was almost non-existent, and after told of the amp issue I installed a later model antenna amp. The improved reception, but not nearly enough. In researching through realoem, the car has antennas in the left rear glass, hatch glass, and on the roof. My car DOES (did!!) have a roof top antenna (not a shark fin) and and the mast is broken off. As I understand it, this is a phone antenna -- or is supposed to be.

Does anyone conclusively know anything about that antenna?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    My 2001 525 wagon sucks also, I know the radio antennas are in the glass I was kicking around the idea if some how using my roof antenna for the radio. Some times connections can be cleaned, that may help. There are also antenna amplifiers in the car. I guess they figure the radio antenna in the glass was a poor idea they needed amplifiers. Also aftermarket window tint can cause problems if it is the wrong type

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    My 2001 525 wagon sucks also, I know the radio antennas are in the glass I was kicking around the idea if some how using my roof antenna for the radio. Some times connections can be cleaned, that may help. There are also antenna amplifiers in the car. I guess they figure the radio antenna in the glass was a poor idea they needed amplifiers. Also aftermarket window tint can cause problems if it is the wrong type
    I also have a 2002 525 Touring. The reception is perfect !! Go figure. It's more of a daily. The E46 Touring now has an S54 stuffed in it. YEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!