Thread: '98 540i Shuts off after idling for a few seconds (brand new fuel pump)

My Cars
    98 540i, 95 540i (dead)

Angry '98 540i Shuts off after idling for a few seconds (brand new fuel pump)

Just finished replacing the fuel pump today, thinking all was well after multiple startups and driving for 20 minutes - then while in a parking lot, the car lost all power and would not accelerate (battery still pushed power to all electronics though). The car will crank and hold at idle after about the 5th or 6th attempt cranking it. Otherwise, it will idle for roughly 3 seconds, then shut off. Only on one occasion has the engine stuttered while trying to hold at idle for about 5 seconds.

Any ideas on a checklist that I could walk through to troubleshoot this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

My Cars
    2000 e39 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by scyrusurcys View Post
    Just finished replacing the fuel pump today, thinking all was well after multiple startups and driving for 20 minutes - then while in a parking lot, the car lost all power and would not accelerate (battery still pushed power to all electronics though). The car will crank and hold at idle after about the 5th or 6th attempt cranking it. Otherwise, it will idle for roughly 3 seconds, then shut off. Only on one occasion has the engine stuttered while trying to hold at idle for about 5 seconds.

Any ideas on a checklist that I could walk through to troubleshoot this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Hey did you change the fuel filter as well? Reason asking is that if the pump failed and the plastic propeller in the fuel pump has a very good chance of passing small plastic partials towards the fuel filter and clogging it. Starting it multiple times may force the fuel to move the debris and allow function till settled. It could also be a possible wiring or relay issue as well.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    98 540i, 95 540i (dead)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustyleek View Post
    Hey did you change the fuel filter as well? Reason asking is that if the pump failed and the plastic propeller in the fuel pump has a very good chance of passing small plastic partials towards the fuel filter and clogging it. Starting it multiple times may force the fuel to move the debris and allow function till settled. It could also be a possible wiring or relay issue as well.

Haven't had time to change them yet but this sounds like a good possibility. I'll have to check into this when I have more time. Thanks for the tip!

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

My Cars
    2000 e39 528i
    Haven't had time to change them yet but this sounds like a good possibility. I'll have to check into this when I have more time. Thanks for the tip!
    No problem dude. Also make sure you connects are solid. If they are not you could be running intermittently and causing it to basically arc current to keep running but one big bump would tell you that

My Cars
    E39 99 528iT
    Check the fuel pump relay and fuel pressure regulator.
    The fuel pump relay is a pale green 20 Amp relay mounted on the fuse rack above the battery behind the trim.
    Bypass the relay and see if the pump runs.
    The pump will not run if the engine is stopped. The DME controls the fuel pump relay and shuts the pump down if it detects that the engine is not running. It also only allows the pump to run for a short period (I'm not sure but approx 10 secs IIRC) when the ignition is first turned on but the engine not started.
    I recently had a fuel pump problem on my 528iT and replaced the pump but it finally turned out to be worn contacts in the pump relay. I also replaced the fuel pressure regulator just to be sure.
    Last edited by Aussie528iT; 02-25-2018 at 08:46 PM.
    RonR

99 528iT M52TU 5HP19
    RHD Euro Spec

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i

Make sure you’re getting enough fuel pressure to the rail, also, I back whoever said change the fuel filter too, hopefully that’s all it is. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 e39 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandagon4d View Post
    Make sure you’re getting enough fuel pressure to the rail, also, I back whoever said change the fuel filter too, hopefully that’s all it is. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Something I just thought about maybe a faulty fuel pressure regulator but sediment in the tank and a faulty previous pump could cause the non-start. Fuel filters do a great job at collecting crap. I'd start there like I said above. Let us know what your findings.