Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear Speaker Options (Non Monsoon)

My Cars
    01 740i
    has anyone installed the bavsound door speakers? hows the sound quality? vids?
    Last edited by MMMMM5; 03-08-2018 at 11:31 AM.

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by MMMMM5 View Post
    has anyone installed the bavsound speakers? hows the sound quality? vids?
    Quote Originally Posted by ramacher View Post
    BavSound is releasing their own rear deck speakers that are a direct OEM fit, and will be available later this spring.
    Facebook said March 2018
    They are not yet available, so no. There was on local guy in San Diego who they were working with to test prototypes, and we talked about doing the same in my car (I have Monsoons installed so they wanted to compare them) but I have not heard anything recently.

My Cars
    01 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    They are not yet available, so no. There was on local guy in San Diego who they were working with to test prototypes, and we talked about doing the same in my car (I have Monsoons installed so they wanted to compare them) but I have not heard anything recently.
    I should clarify, was referring to the door speakers (edited original post)

My Cars
    E38
    Are they making drop-in replacements, or are they making a new enclosure as well? I'm not sure how much bass could really come from that enclosure with that size of speaker.
    E38 M Sport 6 Speed MANUAL

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by shanecarmaster1 View Post
    Are they making drop-in replacements, or are they making a new enclosure as well? I'm not sure how much bass could really come from that enclosure with that size of speaker.
    AFAIK, complete drop in replacements. You can get decent tight bass from it because of the placement and volume coming from 4 speakers even though they're small. I haven't heard their setup but they felt the Monsoons put out bass that was a bit unfocused (since they're technically almost full range speakers) so the Bavsound ones will be aiming to be tight and crisp bass to complement the stock for speakers or their replacements.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E38
    That's so exciting! I just really hope they have some bump. It's crazy how certain cars get away with a couple 5x7s and shake the mirror, or a simple 10 inch in the rear deck, but the e38 can barely make a peep
    E38 M Sport 6 Speed MANUAL

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    That's so exciting! I just really hope they have some bump. It's crazy how certain cars get away with a couple 5x7s and shake the mirror, or a simple 10 inch in the rear deck, but the e38 can barely make a peep
    I guess I wouldn't compare the output of my Monsoons to having a 10-12" sub box in the trunk; although I haven't had that in my current car, my previous experience is that a sub box will put out more bass. If you really want to feel and hear bass, a good dedicated sub setup is the way to go.

Having said that, I'm reasonably satisfied with the Monsoons, and would probably enjoy the Bavsound setup as well. It's not pounding bass, but there is good definition there and it hits surprisingly low frequencies which to me is a huge bonus. When a bass line slides down the frequency range during a song, it's really pleasing to hear it remain constant all the way down instead of fading out as it goes through 60-50Hz (an estimate). That's where I think that BMW did a good job with the rear deck box, and putting better (or anything that's not 20-year old worn out OEM speakers) in it really helps the OEM system, without sacrificing trunk space.

My Cars
    2016 340i XDrive M-Sport
    I guess I wouldn't compare the output of my Monsoons to having a 10-12" sub box in the trunk; although I haven't had that in my current car, my previous experience is that a sub box will put out more bass. If you really want to feel and hear bass, a good dedicated sub setup is the way to go.

Having said that, I'm reasonably satisfied with the Monsoons, and would probably enjoy the Bavsound setup as well. It's not pounding bass, but there is good definition there and it hits surprisingly low frequencies which to me is a huge bonus. When a bass line slides down the frequency range during a song, it's really pleasing to hear it remain constant all the way down instead of fading out as it goes through 60-50Hz (an estimate). That's where I think that BMW did a good job with the rear deck box, and putting better (or anything that's not 20-year old worn out OEM speakers) in it really helps the OEM system, without sacrificing trunk space.
    Are you using a GROM with your set-up as well? Or some sort of Bluetooth adapter to play music through your cell? I imagine the difference would be much, much improved over CD quality sound.

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Coslin View Post
    Are you using a GROM with your set-up as well? Or some sort of Bluetooth adapter to play music through your cell? I imagine the difference would be much, much improved over CD quality sound.
    Lol I've only got radio in my car. No adapters as of yet (want to switch to an Android radio) and no CDs to play.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '93 300ZX TT
    has anyone installed the bavsound door speakers? hows the sound quality? vids?
    Based on my research and feedback I read, they're a little underwhelming and should only be replaced if you have blown or damaged foam. I went with a much much cheaper route and couldn't be happier. The sound is very much like stock and didn't need to change my EQ settings. Note that I have a 12" sub so I didn't need bass out of the doors so that EQ setting is fairly conservative so I can really crank up the volume if I'm on the freeway with the windows down.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...onsoon-thread)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan750iL View Post
    A lot of good options that should fit with little to no modification here:
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-5-woofers/

I'd suggest the Silver Flute W14RC25 in either 4 or 8 ohm. Good speaker, reasonable price but may need a little tweaking of the box to fit.
    I wonder about these: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...-woofer/#tab-3

Kinda weird, but they would solve mounting issues depth wise. I just wonder if the cone w/excursion would get the speaker into the grills? At 30 each, I may try these.

My Cars
    E38
    Quote Originally Posted by 951Dreams View Post
    I wonder about these: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...-woofer/#tab-3

Kinda weird, but they would solve mounting issues depth wise. I just wonder if the cone w/excursion would get the speaker into the grills? At 30 each, I may try these.
    Do itttt. My trunk subs aren't cutting it, but I dread getting something custom.

The only thing I'm wary about is their lower range dropping off considerably, and even if they do reach lower frequences, I'm not sure you could have the windows down on the highway with club music turned up and still feel or hear any bass. Even crappy econoboxes can do that these days

My Cars
    '01 740i, '93 300ZX TT
    Do itttt. My trunk subs aren't cutting it, but I dread getting something custom....
    What exactly do you mean by not cutting it? I had a Pioneer shallow mount 10 and it just didn't go deep enough but besides that it was 100x better than the rear deck speakers. I upgraded to a single Alpine 12 powered by the same Alpine MRV-M500 and that sub rocks! 99% of my listening is with the bass knob at less than 1/4.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    So, here's my temp fix (a tiny bit off topic, but close enough I think). I had a blown 5.25 speaker in my passenger front door. It rattled so bad couldn't turn up the radio much higher than just enough to hear it was on. Otherwise it just rattled, bad. I was up at Wal-mart getting some car stuff and glanced at their 5.25s. They had those cheap Scosche 4-way speakers for like $20 for a pair. I grabbed some thinking that I would just throw them in to stop the rattle for now, and they were so cheap if I had to cut on them or bend anything no big deal. I put one in the passenger door (the stock one was rotten) and to be honest it sounds just as good as my stock speakers. (None of the other ones are blown). So I have total stock in the front left, and that Scoche 4-way in the front right. With the fader on front and using the balance to go left and right I tell absolutely zero different from my stocks. They may be SLIGHTLY clearer (due to the 4-way I guess, but I think the stock amp is crossing most of that out) and they may be SLIGHTLY less bass responsive, but it's VERY slight. And it may get better once it loosens up.

Installation was a snap, just had to drill 4 new holes since the stock mounts are raised. If I'd been able to find some type of .25" foam or sealant that I thought would have held up I could have used the stock mounting holes. You could also use the stock mounts (they line up perfect) and use some kind of silicon caulk type stuff, but I didn't want to mess with it. It was just as quick and easy for me to drill new holes. And I didn't have to let it dry. I just needed this done quick for a two day trip I've got coming up. I also used the rubber surround thingie that was on the stock one. cut some slits in it for the mounting tabs to go through and it worked perfect.

As it is, I may not even install the second speaker, my other front stock speaker is fine, and the sound is so close to being the exact same as stock one I don't see a point.

TLDR; If your stock speakers are shot, and your not looking for any improvements, the cheap Wal-mart speaks are an easy install and will work in a pinch.

Here's the speakers:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-H...7825#read-more

And just a FYI, I got this FM transmitter and I'm VERY impressed! If you need to get your phone (or any Bluetooth) audio to play through your stereo cheap and easy, I can vouch that this one works amazing and has fantastic sound. Even the hands free works well, and the location on our cars is really nice if you have the arm rest slid forward!! Can't vouch for the SD card function however.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Cars
    01 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by PiotrC70 View Post
    Based on my research and feedback I read, they're a little underwhelming and should only be replaced if you have blown or damaged foam. I went with a much much cheaper route and couldn't be happier. The sound is very much like stock and didn't need to change my EQ settings. Note that I have a 12" sub so I didn't need bass out of the doors so that EQ setting is fairly conservative so I can really crank up the volume if I'm on the freeway with the windows down.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...onsoon-thread)
    I went with the exact set up. Hopefully I can have them installed this weekend if it ever stops snowing.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    AFAIK, complete drop in replacements. You can get decent tight bass from it because of the placement and volume coming from 4 speakers even though they're small. I haven't heard their setup but they felt the Monsoons put out bass that was a bit unfocused (since they're technically almost full range speakers) so the Bavsound ones will be aiming to be tight and crisp bass to complement the stock for speakers or their replacements.

Here is a direct quote in my email from Jeremy Whittle regarding the status of the rear deck speakers: “We are hoping in the next 2-4 weeks. We have inventory at our warehouse now and are just preparing final details such as installation documentation!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by ramacher View Post
    Here is a direct quote in my email from Jeremy Whittle regarding the status of the rear deck speakers: “We are hoping in the next 2-4 weeks. We have inventory at our warehouse now and are just preparing final details such as installation documentation!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Cool.

Isn't Jeremy Whittle part of Stanceworks? Is he also working with Bavsound now?

Edit - apparently he is. https://www.bavsound.com/our-team

Last edited by Aitch; 03-21-2018 at 09:28 AM.

My Cars
    01 740i
    I was browsing crutchfield and they list 6.5s 2 ways as compatible for the rear deck. I thought the rear deck speakers were 5.25? Has anyone fitted 6.5s? How many 2 or 4?

My Cars
    '01 740i, '93 300ZX TT
    I was browsing crutchfield and they list 6.5s 2 ways as compatible for the rear deck. I thought the rear deck speakers were 5.25? Has anyone fitted 6.5s? How many 2 or 4?
    Crutchfield is dumb. Seriously don't know how they've managed to stay in business all these years when everything is overpriced.... The rears are 5.25's, maybe early or non-DSP cars had 6.5's, but not sure.

My Cars
    01 740i
    Finished installing the door spears with pioneers and they sound awesome. Rear deck is next.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '93 300ZX TT
    Finished installing the door spears with pioneers and they sound awesome. Rear deck is next.
    Glad someone besides myself can vouch that these Pioneers are an excellent replacement in comparison to Bavsound speakers. As for the rear deck, I still feel you'd be much better off installing something like the Alpine MRV-M250 or M500(I have the M500) amp and tapping into the hi-level input from the rear deck speakers at the DSP. If you don't want big big bass, a single good quality 8" will be more than enough to blow away the 4 rear deck speakers.

My Cars
    2009 F02 740Li
    A couple of my rear deck speakers were blown and happened to have door speakers from my M5 and they pretty much fitted straight into the enclosures and at least got me going again until Bavsound have some replacements
    2009 F02 740Li

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by westaussie323i View Post
    A couple of my rear deck speakers were blown and happened to have door speakers from my M5 and they pretty much fitted straight into the enclosures and at least got me going again until Bavsound have some replacements
    Bassoons is shipping them already. Got mine last week but haven’t installed yet. I bought all my speakers through them as all mine are blown after sitting for 7 years. I’m no audiophile but will report back when installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Howard in Orlando
    2001 740iS
    1987 535is (sold)

My Cars
    01 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by g8r1fl View Post
    Bassoons is shipping them already. Got mine last week but haven’t installed yet. I bought all my speakers through them as all mine are blown after sitting for 7 years. I’m no audiophile but will report back when installed.
    Including the rear deck or just door speakers?

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Including the rear deck or just door speakers?
    All doors and rear deck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Howard in Orlando
    2001 740iS
    1987 535is (sold)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast