Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear Speaker Options (Non Monsoon)

My Cars
    01 740i

Rear Speaker Options (Non Monsoon)

Are there any non monsoon speakers that can be fitted to the rear with little to no modification? I know Dville isn't making anymore (at least for now or if someone has one for sale).

Many thanks.

My Cars
    E38 750i FL & E36 M3 4DR
    Would love to buy Monsoons, but none of eBay selers who has them do not want to send abroad to Europe. Any volontiers to help me here?

My Cars
    2001 7-S62, 2002 X5 S2,
    ECS Tuning sells the OE speakers for $60 each. I just installed the Monsoons over the weekend. The rear deck install was easy, used a heat gun and a Lay's jar to flex out the inner speaker slot, soldered, RTV'd & screwed them in as well. The door panel speakers were not as easy to install due to design of the back of the speaker, I had to notch out the plastic in 6 places on each door enclosure to make it work. Should sound pretty awesome though, once I get the NBT setup.

The NOS Monsoon's on eBay are down to $115 shipped for (8). You wont do better than that price wise if you're willing to install them.

Thanks to Dville and anyone else that documented installing the Monsoons.
    2001 | DINAN 7 Sport | S62 Swapped 6-Speed
    DINAN Springs & Exhaust | 750 Brakes | M-Pars | Monsoons | NBT Nav/Radio
    Dual Pane Glass | Black & Sand Int.

| 750iL | AlpineWeiss III

@scotthduke on Instagram

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Quote Originally Posted by MMMMM5 View Post
    Are there any non monsoon speakers that can be fitted to the rear with little to no modification? I know Dville isn't making anymore (at least for now or if someone has one for sale).

Many thanks.

Seems like I recall using Focal speakers or some other sort a while back... try doing a search on this forum. in the meanwhile I'll check my subscribed threads and see if I can find something.
    "A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    found one with 6x9 speakers in it from 2006 and guess who replied to it 11 years later? lol
    "A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

My Cars
    01 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by kahlilj View Post
    Seems like I recall using Focal speakers or some other sort a while back... try doing a search on this forum. in the meanwhile I'll check my subscribed threads and see if I can find something.
    I did, the problem is that most, if not all pictures posted were with photobucket
    Quote Originally Posted by kahlilj View Post
    found one with 6x9 speakers in it from 2006 and guess who replied to it 11 years later? lol
    lol of course

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    DVille and I did the Monsson thing when it first started out. He took the lead and documented everything very well. It’s basically an afternoon project, if you own a Dremel.

You can can find them at JY for about $6 each, and with a bit of work you’ll have a great sounding car for $24. It’s one of those mods that actually is worth your time. I only did the rear deck since like someone said, the doors require much more cutting. If you want to experiment, when at the JY take the rear deck from an e38 and use that to learn.

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    01 740 S- 08 X5-95 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by MMMMM5 View Post
    I did, the problem is that most, if not all pictures posted were with photobucket

lol of course
    I would like to officially declare that i hate photo_ucket!... and thats all i have to say about that!

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by 740ilDuke View Post
    ECS Tuning sells the OE speakers for $60 each. I just installed the Monsoons over the weekend. The rear deck install was easy, used a heat gun and a Lay's jar to flex out the inner speaker slot, soldered, RTV'd & screwed them in as well. The door panel speakers were not as easy to install due to design of the back of the speaker, I had to notch out the plastic in 6 places on each door enclosure to make it work. Should sound pretty awesome though, once I get the NBT setup.

The NOS Monsoon's on eBay are down to $115 shipped for (8). You wont do better than that price wise if you're willing to install them.

Thanks to Dville and anyone else that documented installing the Monsoons.
    looks like we are going on the same direction lmao, i just purchased the 8 pk from ebay and did the rear deck but now i'm a bit concerned about the doors.
    TRPCHGE - '01 740i Black/Black 230k'ish - Power folding mirrors, Mk.IV Nav, 16:9, M-pars, Sport seats, Sport wheel, Steptronic, Euro rear fog switch, 2.50" X-Pipe, Shadowline, E53 4.6is Cluster, Lacewood interior, Chromeline, 3.15, Bilstein B6+H&R Stage II's. - SOLD 06/21

BSKCASE - '98 740il Arctic Silver/Black 175k'ish - Face-lifted, 3" Projectors, Shadowline, 01 Tails, Hydro Trunk, Sunshades, 750il Full interior retrofit, Sport Seats, Steptronic, Face-lift Steering Column, X5 Steering wheel, E53 4.6is Cluster, Euro E66 Piano black/Chrome Grab-handles, Chromeline, Suede Pillars/Headliner, Auto wipers/Lights, Lighted Handles interior/Exterior, Dual battery retrofit.

WIP: Custom Style 42 18x9.5" ET12, 18x10.5" ET8, 3.15 LSD Rear diff.

My Cars
    E38 750i FL & E36 M3 4DR
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabreslight View Post
    looks like we are going on the same direction lmao, i just purchased the 8 pk from ebay and did the rear deck but now i'm a bit concerned about the doors.
    Ha, so that was you who grabbed the set of 8 Monsoons I was watching on my eBya watchlist. Looking forward to buy the same set from the same seller.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    BavSound is releasing their own rear deck speakers that are a direct OEM fit, and will be available later this spring.

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by exeed View Post
    Ha, so that was you who grabbed the set of 8 Monsoons I was watching on my eBya watchlist. Looking forward to buy the same set from the same seller.
    Yep sure was they were listed for a long time so I just went for it...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    TRPCHGE - '01 740i Black/Black 230k'ish - Power folding mirrors, Mk.IV Nav, 16:9, M-pars, Sport seats, Sport wheel, Steptronic, Euro rear fog switch, 2.50" X-Pipe, Shadowline, E53 4.6is Cluster, Lacewood interior, Chromeline, 3.15, Bilstein B6+H&R Stage II's. - SOLD 06/21

BSKCASE - '98 740il Arctic Silver/Black 175k'ish - Face-lifted, 3" Projectors, Shadowline, 01 Tails, Hydro Trunk, Sunshades, 750il Full interior retrofit, Sport Seats, Steptronic, Face-lift Steering Column, X5 Steering wheel, E53 4.6is Cluster, Euro E66 Piano black/Chrome Grab-handles, Chromeline, Suede Pillars/Headliner, Auto wipers/Lights, Lighted Handles interior/Exterior, Dual battery retrofit.

My Cars
    2001 7-S62, 2002 X5 S2,
    Once you remove the speaker enclosure on the doors and remove the speakers, take the Monsoon and place it face down on the enclosure. Make marks on the enclosure where the 6 ribs hold up the cone. That is where it "rubs" and wont seat into the enclosure. Use a dremel tool or other means to notch out the plastic about 1/2 inch outward in those 6 places. Repeat that for each door enclosure. It takes awhile, but Im sure the sound will be really worth it.

No head unit yet in mine, so Ill have to wait. But at least that's done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabreslight View Post

@scotthduke on Instagram

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by 740ilDuke View Post
    Once you remove the speaker enclosure on the doors and remove the speakers, take the Monsoon and place it face down on the enclosure. Make marks on the enclosure where the 6 ribs hold up the cone. That is where it "rubs" and wont seat into the enclosure. Use a dremel tool or other means to notch out the plastic about 1/2 inch outward in those 6 places. Repeat that for each door enclosure. It takes awhile, but Im sure the sound will be really worth it.

No head unit yet in mine, so Ill have to wait. But at least that's done.
    Much appreciate the info I'll be doing that this weekend. I have my nbt screen coming very soon.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E38 7er, E46 M3
    I had some Kickers installed in my first E38 by a guy about 5-6 years ago. Solid quality and sounded great and direct fitment. Then installed Mansoons last year to my other E38 after reading the forum. To say the least I was very disappointed with the sound quality, especially after going through all the work, trimming and etc.

My Cars
    E38 750i FL & E36 M3 4DR
    Quote Originally Posted by Reflex View Post
    I had some Kickers installed in my first E38 by a guy about 5-6 years ago. Solid quality and sounded great and direct fitment. Then installed Mansoons last year to my other E38 after reading the forum. To say the least I was very disappointed with the sound quality, especially after going through all the work, trimming and etc.
    You are saying that replacing rear deck speakers to Monsoon is not worth it? I have a DSP from the factory and want to improve bass by upgrading rear deck speakers to Monsoons, so any feedback in much appreciated.

My Cars
    E38
    Quote Originally Posted by Reflex View Post
    I'm looking to get this big box out of my trunk... were the Kickers four OEM-sized subs put in the rear deck, or was it a box in the trunk? If it wasn't in the trunk, do you think it was comparable in volume, tone, and range to a box with a couple subs in it? The only Kickers I see are two way
    Last edited by shanecarmaster1; 02-28-2018 at 08:44 AM.
    E38 M Sport 6 Speed MANUAL

My Cars
    2001 750iL
    Are the ones back there 4 or 8 ohm?

My Cars
    E38 750i FL & E36 M3 4DR
    Monsoons which are usually used when upgrading E38 audio system are 4 ohm, but OEM BMW DSP rear deck speakers are deffo 8 ohm.

Not sure how that affects sound quality or any other parameters.

My Cars
    E38 7er, E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by exeed View Post
    You are saying that replacing rear deck speakers to Monsoon is not worth it? I have a DSP from the factory and want to improve bass by upgrading rear deck speakers to Monsoons, so any feedback in much appreciated.
    Nope. The Kickers were a plug and play pretty much. No need for cutting or trimming the plastics like you would doing the Mansoon mod and the Kickers had a nicer bass.

Quote Originally Posted by shanecarmaster1 View Post
    I'm looking to get this big box out of my trunk... were the Kickers four OEM-sized subs put in the rear deck, or was it a box in the trunk? If it wasn't in the trunk, do you think it was comparable in volume, tone, and range to a box with a couple subs in it? The only Kickers I see are two way

Factory sizes put in the rear deck, correct.

My Cars
    2001 750iL
    A lot of good options that should fit with little to no modification here:
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-5-woofers/

I'd suggest the Silver Flute W14RC25 in either 4 or 8 ohm. Good speaker, reasonable price but may need a little tweaking of the box to fit.

My Cars
    2001 7-S62, 2002 X5 S2,
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan750iL View Post
    Are the ones back there 4 or 8 ohm?
    You can wire them in series if it's of concern, but from what I've been told there is no need.

@scotthduke on Instagram

My Cars
    2001 740IL
    bavsound.com they are in the production stages of the rear deck speakers for the e38 ill buy all of my speakers when i hear back from them about their release

My Cars
    01 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by tim01740il View Post
    bavsound.com they are in the production stages of the rear deck speakers for the e38 ill buy all of my speakers when i hear back from them about their release
    Facebook said March 2018

My Cars
    E38 750i FL & E36 M3 4DR
    I have ordered 8 brand new Monsoon speakers (4 ohm) to do the audio system upgrade. Awaiting for them to arrive to Europe and will get started.

I am planning to do a straight swap to door kickers and will modify rear DSP sub box to replace all four deck speakers too.

Looking forward to this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast