Thread: Electronic Key Ring

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i

Electronic Key Ring

Noob question (I think at least). But first, backstory!

I just acquired a 1998 528i, I was texting with the guy from Craigslist and he initially wanted 1k for it, (needs a fuel pump, sender, and ignition cylinder). Anyway, it came down to $500, then he said, “My wife just wants it gone, come with a trailer and you can have it”. So you can bet what I did..

Went and got it, took it home and diagnosed it. First thing first, it didnt have any ignition cylinder whatsoever (?¿?). Fuel sender hose was completely disintegrated, no wonder it wouldn’t turn. Fuel pump was shot too. Took one of the fuel pumps from a Buick grand national and it cranked right up, sounded beautiful too.

Now onto the question! I have a 1997 528i, that I drive daily. If I were to take the electronic key ring and the ignition cylinder out of my daily driver, and put it in the new to me car, will it turn the car over?

Or, is the electronic key ring thing (don’t know what it’s called please someone correct me) car specific, as in, it doesn’t matter what ring is in the car, it’s only that car. Or is it specific to the ring, as in, the ring is programmed to one key and not whatever car it is, any help is appreciated!

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    It is more than just the cylinder and key. Based on your year it should be EWS III
    http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/BMW_EWS.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAngryBear View Post
    It is more than just the cylinder and key. Based on your year it should be EWS III
    http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/BMW_EWS.pdf

Thank you! That helps a ton, and answers my question and then some. Much appreciated!

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    Presumably the EWS on this car is already bypassed. Perhaps by mounting the transponder coil under the dash with one of one of the original transponders.

If the correct EWS is still installed, it's easy to make replacement transponders with an AK90. You can disassemble one of the other lock cylinders to read the key cut code. With the key cut code, there are guys on FleaBay that will cut a key - look for the ones that will cut a key from a picture.

It's going to be a little more difficult and expensive to get an ignition cylinder, but excessively so.
    Last edited by djb2; 02-24-2018 at 05:55 PM.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    I have an ignition cylinder / elec key ring with a matching valet key (no door opening). I don't have the vin of the car it came from (which might allow you to get add'l keys from dealer.

If you are interested in it, PM me.