Thread: Buying '13 X3 with tiny leak in the seal. Advice before my purchase? Any '13 issues?

My Cars
    2013 BMW X3

Red face Buying '13 X3 with tiny leak in the seal. Advice before my purchase? Any '13 issues?

Hi I'm here to introduce myself and learn more...

My mechanic says he sees this kind of leak often and it's not serious...yet still concerning due to fact it would need transmission removal to fix. As such, price has been discounted so I'm okay with it. Aside from that, car is absolutely immaculate w/ low miles.

I guess I'd like to know if others have had this issue, if it's common and/or if it got worse, etc. Any info is appreciated.

I'd also love to know more about this model and specifically this year (2013). I'm a complete newbie.

Thank you!

Is it a 2.8? How many miles? How much of a discount? Besides the leak, any codes?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2013 BMW X3
    Quote Originally Posted by dano1200r View Post
    Is it a 2.8? How many miles? How much of a discount? Besides the leak, any codes?

It's the 35i, with every possible upgrade. 55K miles. Discount was $500.

You're going to laugh but what codes? Like I said, super noob here.

I have the same year and motor, with about the same miles. A leaking transmission is bad, especially because you can't top it off, so it should be repaired before you buy it, and let him keep his 500. There is a OBD code reader on all modern cars. The dealer has a few. You can get a cheap one for 30 off Amazon. It won't tell you everything, but it should be checked. Get a Carfax report and read it. Good luck.

Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    X3 2012
    Hello Ginalyin,

I have an x3 2012 with the 35i engine, some smoke started to come out two weeks ago when I pulled up to park, but temps were holding steady. I took to the dealership (all my services had being done with them) and they told me this problem was frequent in the car and that I needed to change two gaskets, one was the Oil and Filter gasket , and the other was the engine gasket. Also battery needed to be replaced (400 for that). My quote was for 3,100 (estimated), more than half was due to labor. I pulled the car from them and took it for a second quote locally with a shop that mainly does only BMW. They told me that was a very frequent fault with this engine and model, I saved over a thousand dollars from the dealers quote. If I were you I will consider that this faults will happen sooner rather than later. Good luck.

My Cars
    2013 BMW X3
    Thanks for the warnings but I already took the plunge. There's slight buyer's remorse at times but certainly not when I drive it, wow!

This is hard to believe but somebody rear-ended my parked car the very first night I brought it home. I'll be needing a new towing hitch cover and, in due time, I will probably also get a new lower, rear bumper. That's where the scratches and small indentations are -- not on the larger, main bumper, but the piece that fits directly underneath it. I guess I'll look in the other forums on here for that info...but if someone could tell me the most affordable way to fix this stuff, that would be great.