Thread: yes coilovers I'm sorry, '95 non-m track only purchase help.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i

yes coilovers I'm sorry, '95 non-m track only purchase help.

yes i have been searching, alot of old stuff. leaning towards a ground control full kit from alot of recommendations.
    budget $2,000 +/-
    car is full strip. currently on HR cup kit.
    i run HPDE intermediate, want a solid setup to grow on that could last into TT or beyond.
    thanks

My Cars
    1995 M3 LTW 2001 325i
    Just buy the stickiest tires

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by RJHarker View Post
    Just buy the stickiest tires
    I'm on RS3's they have a couple more weekends. i like the constancy with them over 30 minute sessions, and price.

My Cars
    1995 M3 LTW 2001 325i
    Fantastic review from G60! Keep em coming.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Can't go wrong with TCK or GC, and both give stellar service when you have problems/questions. Big choice is SA or DA. I have TCK SA, and kinda wish I'd gone with DA. For the additional cost, amortized over years of ownership, they'll let you grow into higher spring rates for minimal yearly cost.

Then, there are MCS. Watch for used if you really want to go there. I can't (yet) justify the cost of new just for HPDE.
    Last edited by aeronaut; 02-24-2018 at 09:28 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    i have been watching the classifieds here and craigs for sometime. this will be first step in suspension upgrading, would like it to be a good one.
    i can't go MCS big, way to many things to due/build before that level is needed.
    based on prices i have found 2000 should be good middle ground.

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S
    I know tons of other people have had success with Koni based suspension setups, but I have Konis on 2 cars now and I'm not impressed. I am in a similar boat, probably around a 2k budget, and I'm going to get Bilstein PSS9s but swap the progressive springs out for some with a linear rate. I've heard excellent things about this setup and I think the monotube Bilsteins will be much better than Konis on track.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    No personal experience with PSS9s, but I've read a lot of good things about them for track use. Not so much for street unless you get them re-valved. But that's just what I've heard from others.

But thanks for the reminder of a non-Koni option!

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Shameless plug for the NASA Spec3 suspension: Koni inserts with Swift Springs. I still pass plenty of much higher HP cars in DE4. Also, your car would fit into NASA Spec3 if you're interested in going that route. The springs are $399 from RRT (link) and I think the Koni inserts and rear struts are something like $600? That's just my recollection, though.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by OCRentAPopo View Post
    Shameless plug for the NASA Spec3 suspension: Koni inserts with Swift Springs. I still pass plenty of much higher HP cars in DE4. Also, your car would fit into NASA Spec3 if you're interested in going that route. The springs are $399 from RRT (link) and I think the Koni inserts and rear struts are something like $600? That's just my recollection, though.
    Good point! I ran Koni inserts and HR springs for years for HPDE, and they worked great. I'm not sure I'm actually faster with C/O's (with the same tire).

What rates are those Swift springs for Spec3?

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    What rates are those Swift springs for Spec3?
    90% certain they're 375/550. Good for 2:12 around VIR and 1:24 (1:23 after repave?) at Summit Point on 225/50/15 Toyo RR's.
    Last edited by OCRentAPopo; 02-26-2018 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Added lap times.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by cohny View Post
    I know tons of other people have had success with Koni based suspension setups, but I have Konis on 2 cars now and I'm not impressed. I am in a similar boat, probably around a 2k budget, and I'm going to get Bilstein PSS9s but swap the progressive springs out for some with a linear rate. I've heard excellent things about this setup and I think the monotube Bilsteins will be much better than Konis on track.
    Nice, this is what Nelson runs and i think Jon. Nick used to also run this setup. I want to say something like 500/750 springs. All are fast so i guess the setup works. This was my plan before i drunk purchased the MCSs.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by OCRentAPopo View Post
    it looks like the spec3 all done is about 1500 after plates. i did look alot into building towards spec3 for sure, unfortunately I am not near any frequent NASA tracks.
    bowling green corvette park is almost 2 hrs my nearest, barber 5, RA 7. not enough vacation time to make many long weekends.

your car looks nice and flat in your vids, looks like the spec kit does good.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Bummer you aren't closer to NASA tracks. I think it's a great setup but, admittedly, I haven't ever driven a Motion Control system ... or anything with lots of downforce.

My Cars
    For my several race cars over the years, I've tried Konis many times and never liked them. The low-speed damping is not stiff enough, and the high-speed damping is way too stiff. It's maddening if you've ever had triple adjustables and not been able to tune the low-speed problems out of the konis.

I'm less impressed with the MCS shocks than I was hoping. The Motons are amazing to me, but at $8K I'm not having it.

For my street car (MZ3) I'm about to pull the trigger on a suspension as well - maybe a little less budget at $1500.

I wanted the PSS9s, because I love the way Bilsteins feel on street and track.

I'm looking into the KW Variant 2, as it's a street car and I don't see myself needing compression adjustment anyway.

It's between those two - if you look at pricing, they're both around $1600 on sale.
    Last edited by CoMZ302; 02-28-2018 at 01:01 PM.
    2002 BMW M Roaster.
    1998 BMW 328is SCCA E Production road racer.

My Cars
    e30 M3, 335d
    +1 for TC Kline S/A kit.

Their customer support and setup advice will help you find the perfect setup for your application and for the tracks you drive most often!

- Max

My Cars
    95m3/97m345/powerstroke
    Kw clubsports are a little more expensive, but they come with camber plates too. They've served me well from hpde1 on starspecs all the way to timetrial on hoosier r7s.

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    Nice, this is what Nelson runs and i think Jon. Nick used to also run this setup. I want to say something like 500/750 springs. All are fast so i guess the setup works. This was my plan before i drunk purchased the MCSs.
    I'd heard good things about this setup on this forum as well, but when Jon told me that same thing it pretty much shored up the decision for me. I believe you can buy this setup directly from vorshlag too which is nice.

Not all drunk decisions are bad though lol

My Cars
    E36 M3 SEDAN
    I personally am running MCS 2 ways non-remote and love them. Do you have to have the rest of the car perfect to take advantage of MCS? Absolutely not. What they give you is top of the line damping. You can use that control of over all driving conditions and in all situations. Plus, the adjustability is great. I would buy once and build around it vs. going for something at 80% of the cost and then ultimately selling those parts and upgrading later on, assuming that is where you want to go.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by tripitz View Post
    I personally am running MCS 2 ways non-remote and love them. Do you have to have the rest of the car perfect to take advantage of MCS? Absolutely not. What they give you is top of the line damping. You can use that control of over all driving conditions and in all situations. Plus, the adjustability is great. I would buy once and build around it vs. going for something at 80% of the cost and then ultimately selling those parts and upgrading later on, assuming that is where you want to go.
    i can't go that MCS big. those non remote 2-way and springs, camber plates get up to 3500 something? the remotes start at like 4500. i understand the buy once but if i can get a real good track setup that can and if i am able (my skills) to take in TT series or other competitive type events for 2000 is what I'm trying to do without buying less quality equipment. i know I'm not the first to build a car as i go to HPDE weekends to develop it as i gain experience. the sea of coilovers and kits is endless. i seek proven setup suggestions from folks that have experience with the track and e36. if i can buy a setup and 2 years of track weekends for 5000 ill go that route.

i have thought hard on leaving this sport kit and going safety getting caged and harness etc first, i believe that will be 3,500$ with new halo seat...

i am thankful for all the opinions /feedback everyone has added

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    well its done, GC school/racing kit on the way.

any starting points for setups ideas let me know thanks!