RM European Auto Parts

Thread: E39 Automatic not shifting

My Cars
    E39 540i

E39 Automatic not shifting

Hi I have an E39 540 5speed automatic I recently did a valley pan job on. After doing the job I have no leak which is great but the Transmission doesnt want to shift till 5500rpms. The DSC light would come on every now and then but now its stuck on. I replaced the right front sensor though the socket was brittle and broke apart some. I tried reading the sensors with a scanner {maxis} but it couldnt recognize the DSC and it mentioned the 16 or 20pin plug. And again its not the Trifecta. its only the DSC which i imagine was caused by a rear sensor because it would only get stuck on when i jumped on the gas. Any ideas would be appreciated. car has 200k on it.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    You haven't mentioned the year of the car. Do you have a 20-pin round diagnostic connector underhood? If so, this is where you must connect to the car, in order to find out why the ABS is angry. The DSC IS the ABS, by the way.

Take it to Bimmer Performance Center in Raleigh. You can't fix it until you know what's wrong with it, and guessing just wastes money and time.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    E39 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    You haven't mentioned the year of the car. Do you have a 20-pin round diagnostic connector underhood? If so, this is where you must connect to the car, in order to find out why the ABS is angry. The DSC IS the ABS, by the way.

Take it to Bimmer Performance Center in Raleigh. You can't fix it until you know what's wrong with it, and guessing just wastes money and time.
    Its a 98. I understand its the ABS however the ABS light in not on. its only the DSC and the only Issue im having is the transmission shifting. I will order the adapter and see what codes i get which I had planned on.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    '98 doesn't have the problematic Bosch 5.7 ABS module.
    Since this is concurrent with your engine work I'd be double checking everything you touched. A wonky air flow meter can cause shifting problems, might want to start looking there.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E39 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    '98 doesn't have the problematic Bosch 5.7 ABS module.
    Since this is concurrent with your engine work I'd be double checking everything you touched. A wonky air flow meter can cause shifting problems, might want to start looking there.
    I just ordered a Icarsoft BM II from FCP and it should be here by next Wednesday. Ive been told the battery could cause it possibly? Im still learning BMW. The Transmission has a green sticker on the bottom. I believe the 4L30e?

My Cars
    E39 540i

Scanned

Quote Originally Posted by Dolsey056 View Post
    I just ordered a Icarsoft BM II from FCP and it should be here by next Wednesday. Ive been told the battery could cause it possibly? Im still learning BMW. The Transmission has a green sticker on the bottom. I believe the 4L30e?
    I just Scanned it and got codes 38-Pre-throttle valve control , 33- Wheel speed sensor Front left circuit , and 24- Wrong Impulse ...??? Any info would help.