Thread: Newbie here.

My Cars
    2000 e39 528i

Newbie here.

New to the forums but not the cars. Recently I just picked up a 2000 e39 528i for 800 bucks. I figured I'd start a build thread for it. So far its been just minor body fixes since the motor and trans are great. He'll even the radio and a.c. on have like 20 dead pixles. Here are some shots. The last two are a before and after of the dent fix!

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    00 528/5 & 02 530i Sport
    Welcome! Detail the car and get a new roundels front/back. That will make a huge difference to the exterior. Congrats on the purchase... How many miles? Pics of the interior? What are your plans for the car?

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Welcome to the forum.
    How did you fix the dents? Did you do it?

My Cars
    2000 e39 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    How did you fix the dents? Did you do it?
    I did. I used 3/8 breaker bar head and a 2 pound ball pin. Slowly worked the dent from one side to the other and walked it out.

My Cars
    2000 e39 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by JPR10 View Post
    Welcome! Detail the car and get a new roundels front/back. That will make a huge difference to the exterior. Congrats on the purchase... How many miles? Pics of the interior? What are your plans for the car?
    174k on the clock. Major plans consist of full coils and the CEL duckbill painted to match. I'd like to change wheels out eventually. But, worried about the 74.1mm hub bore I think it is on the car. New roundel is on the rear and am waiting on front now. I will basically maintain it within detail and and lightly modify it as I see fit. The cars weight distro is fairly good so I don't want to modify too much. Pics of interior will follow.

My Cars
    2000 e39 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustyleek View Post
    I did. I used 3/8 breaker bar head and a 2 pound ball pin. Slowly worked the dent from one side to the other and walked it out.

I know it's chipped but at least it's not dented!!

My Cars
    2000 e39 528i
    174k on the clock. Major plans consist of full coils and the CEL duckbill painted to match. I'd like to change wheels out eventually. But, worried about the 74.1mm hub bore I think it is on the car. New roundel is on the rear and am waiting on front now. I will basically maintain it within detail and and lightly modify it as I see fit. The cars weight distro is fairly good so I don't want to modify too much. Pics of interior will follow.

Also I am the third owner. Excuse the mess. I just diverted the 528i windsheild wipers over to mono blades

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Nice dent removal

My Cars
    2000 e39 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    Nice dent removal
    Thank ya

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Good job!
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    2000 e39 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    Good job!
    Thank you. Thank you. I'm glad it came out the way it did. Saved the 170 bucks for the replacment.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Congrats - I have two of these. Obviously replace cooling system if age uncertain. You might also change trans/diff fluid if last fluid change is unknown. For a cheap upgrade, I got white/red taillights (for 97-00 models), white sidelights and euro headlight lenses (which snap on your existing housings) with white corners for approx $200 off amazon. This is certainly a personal preference, but I think it really gets the car to snap in appearance.

Attachment 623274
    Last edited by effduration; 02-24-2018 at 01:35 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    Congrats - I have two of these. Obviously replace cooling system if age uncertain. You might also change trans/diff fluid if last fluid change is unknown. For a cheap upgrade, I got white/red taillights (for 97-00 models), white sidelights and euro headlight lenses (which snap on your existing housings) with white corners for approx $200 off amazon. This is certainly a personal preference, but I think it really gets the car to snap in appearance.

Attachment 623274
    Thank you for sharing this! I’ve been looking for all three of these parts to do on my car just couldn’t find anywhere I trusted to get them from. Amazon definitely wouldn’t have been my first choice but hearing good things from a fellow forum member boosts my spirit, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 e39 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandagon4d View Post
    Thank you for sharing this! I’ve been looking for all three of these parts to do on my car just couldn’t find anywhere I trusted to get them from. Amazon definitely wouldn’t have been my first choice but hearing good things from a fellow forum member boosts my spirit, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I love Amazon. I've never had an issue ever with them

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Well I should qualify that. You are getting cheap aftermarket quality, but good enough for my daily driver needs. I had no problem with the lens covers, except they use plastic fasteners that hold the the glass lens on the inside, unlike OEM which use metal clips. So I figure I may have to repair them in 4-5 yrs. Also one of my rear tail lights was missing the threaded M8 posts that allow you to bolt them in using the OEM nuts. I went to the hardware store and bout 4 M8 bolts, screwed them in and cut off heads. Voila, I have M8 threaded posts. Returns with the company listed (ProMotoring) are not easy or reasonable.

My Cars
    97 528i
    Nice car Dusty !

Congrats on the score and props for the madd skillz dent removal !!

When I saw the first three pictures, the thoughts of when I brought home our '97 came rushing back. The outside is identical to ours (save for the 16's...ours are the same style wheel but are 15's..) so it really kicked up a lot of great memories.

A comment you made about the car having nice balance totally holds true. It's one of the reasons I loved that 528 so much and exactly why I never changed it. Fine power, balanced solid handling, confidence inspiring chassis and brakes.

Welcome to the forum. Can't wait to see what you do.

tony
    "two wrongs don't make a right...only three lefts do...."
    '79 Euro 635csi - gone and regretting it...
    '89 gsxr-750 - former traffic knife
    '97 528i sedan - holding on strong...(just sold after 16 years of ownership - sad day)
    '03 Euro 525it - something about a famous dolphin.....

'06 Mercury Grand Marquis (don't ask....it gets the job done....)
    '84 Specialized Allez - full Campagnolo Super Record
    '99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    "Stinky" - Kona Stinky Five
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    2000 e39 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by adm750 View Post
    Nice car Dusty !

When I saw the first three pictures, the thoughts of when I brought home our '97 came rushing back. The outside is identical to ours (save for the 16's...ours are the same style wheel but are 15's..) so it really kicked up a lot of great memories.

A comment you made about the car having nice balance totally holds true. It's one of the reasons I loved that 528 so much and exactly why I never changed it. Fine power, balanced solid handling, confidence inspiring chassis and brakes.

tony
    Thanks tony. I am certainly looking forward to spending some TLC on it and getting it to where I want it to be. Its very hard to choose what I would really like to do, but maintaining that nice distro and looking good while it sits are the key factors. This 190 to 200 bhp is perfectly sufficient for the daily thanks to the weight distribution. Couldn't be happier with the score, quality, and price!

My Cars
    2000 e39 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by adm750 View Post
    Nice car Dusty !

tony
    Btw I'm jealous over the wagons interior!!!

My Cars
    97 528i
    Btw I'm jealous over the wagons interior!!!

thanks Dusty !! she's special...