Thread: Timing right or wrong ?

My Cars
    E36 drift car

Timing right or wrong ?

Anyone able to tell me from looking at cams is timing out,m52tub25?
    Last edited by Fquigley; 02-24-2018 at 01:40 AM.

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    If the crank is in the tdc position it's wrong. If it is not in the tdc position please set it to tdc and post another picture. Do you have timing tools and tdc pin?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Also if it is that far off (picture taken in tdc position) and you tried to start it, you probably have bent valves now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    BMW X5 3.0i
    Lock the crank at TDC and the rough setting is easy to confirm: all the cam shafts have machined smooth edges on TWO sides of the square at the very back, those must be vertical and the side pointing up will have the bank stamped on them eg 1-4, 5-8.

I recently changed the chain guides on an M62 and the intake cams both got out of sync, and I had to turn them back into sync.

Also word to the wise: don't try to use the TDC pin to hold the crank while removing the Jesus Bolt it's not remotely strong enough I had some bad Intel that said it would work.

It doesn't.

I didn't take measurments but people are known to lock the cams without any special tool since it's simply making the machined sides of the cam perpendicular to the valve cover seat but I'm not aware of the precise angle the timing wheels must be set and a proper tool such as German auto solutions is really the only way (their solution is much cleaner than even the official BMW tool)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    325e 535i M5 325iT 330i
    If the crank is at TDC, you should be able to lay a straightedge across the bosses at the backs of the camshafts and have it be perfectly flat.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325i e46
    I have a 2002 E46 and when I tried to lock the flywheel the number one piston is not at top dead center and me harmonic does not line up with the top dead center mark it is off by about inch what could cause this

My Cars
    BMW X5 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by obd2gearhead View Post
    I have a 2002 E46 and when I tried to lock the flywheel the number one piston is not at top dead center and me harmonic does not line up with the top dead center mark it is off by about inch what could cause this
    The balancer is key-locked so it sounds like you have the lock pin not in the lock hole and just in-between spikes on the flywheel.