Thread: Installing SuperSprint exhaust on my M Coupe this weekend. Any advice?

My Cars
    E36/8 M Coupe, 911/997.2

Installing SuperSprint exhaust on my M Coupe this weekend. Any advice?

Any tips/tricks to make the install go smoother?
    Ben

'00 M Coupe (my daily for almost 10 glorious years now)
    '09 911 (wife's daily/my bucket list)
    '08 Z4 Coupe (wife's, sold, sometimes regrettably)
    '91 E34 M5 (gone, but not forgotten)
    '88 E30 (kid's)

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Make sure your rubber hangers are all in good condition before you start, and make sure you have hardware to bolt the (4) SS hangers to the (4) car hangers. My kit didn't come with that hardware.

In post #51, I started discussing my install. The toughest thing will be getting left and right sides the same length, since you have a slip connection to deal with on the passenger's side.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...rner-ECS/page3
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    E36/8 M Coupe, 911/997.2
    Thanks s8ilver!
    Ben

'88 E30 (kid's)

My Cars
    00 Evergreen M Coupe
    How did your installation go? Did you reuse your existing exhaust hangers? Tips that you figured out? Sound?
    WTB: Z3 M Coupe - G-Power front splitters, driver's side door panel

WTB: E36 M3 Coupe - CF Roof plug, LTW Spoiler

My Cars
    E36/8 M Coupe, 911/997.2
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmaflac View Post
    How did your installation go? Did you reuse your existing exhaust hangers? Tips that you figured out? Sound?

It went well. Actually went pretty much exactly as s8ilver explained, and I'll add a couple of things.

1. I did reuse my existing hangers, although I wish I had bought new rubber mounts, but I will be pulling this back off soon enough for some other work done, so I'll replace them then. You do need 4 nuts that do not come with the kit. SuperSprint must not realize that the nuts on the stock muffler are welded on there where the rear exhaust mounts bolt to. You can reuse the 4 bolts, but the nuts do not come off. I went ahead and bought new bolts and washers as well.

2. As s8ilver mentioned, the passenger side length is adjustable but I believe he was unsure if you could adjust it after you have hung the exhaust, and yes you can adjust it afterward. In fact, that was one of the last things I tightened down after making other adjustments after both sides were hung.

3. It comes with no instructions, but everything is pretty straight forward once you lay it all out and look at it for a few minutes.

4. Having a second person helps, I had my son help me. We got it done in an afternoon without rushing.

5. As far as sound, I'm honestly hoping it gets a little louder. It is nice sounding with a very mellow growl and minimal droning, however, I was hoping that when I get on it from 4500 to redline, it would scream a bit, and it does not exactly...Hoping that as it breaks in within a 1000 miles or so, it will become more alive as that is what I believe I have read.

Overall, quality is great and the sound is a definite, definite improvement over stock.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have!

Ben
    Last edited by Oilburnin; 02-26-2018 at 01:58 PM.
    Ben

'88 E30 (kid's)

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    I ordered mine on cyber monday $766... I put them on and took them off. I didn't like the way they hung with too much sway and high and tight to the bumper cutouts. Plus I have a knock over bumps after a suppension rebuild. I put the OE back on to see if the mufflers were part of the noise and they were not. The OE mufflers made the M slow and poor throttle responce not to mention no sweet Vroom Vroom!!

I'm reinstalling and have done this. I took a 2 inch square tube and cut it in half making a 1 X 2 X 1 "C" channel 4-5 inches long (a little longer than the OE rubber hangers). I have 4 of them, one for each rubber hanger to drop it 2 inches. I drilled 4 holes and welded two bolts into the bottom holes to mount the OE rubber hangers to. The top hole mount to the OE rubber hanger studs attached to the body. Now I need to drill new holes in the SS brackets and mount them up.

This eliminates the sway and allows me to better position the mufflers into the cutouts. The OE mufflers were mounted very well and had very little movement. I believe I will accomplish the same with the Super Sprints. Now if I can just finish them, find the knock and enjoy the top down

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    When I installed mine, I made this, uuh "wrench" thing for the passenger side with the slip joint. Even with all the bolts loose, it can be hard to get the exhaust straight and level. So, yeah, a few bits of wood and I had enough leverage to rotate the pipe without marring it or damaging it.
    exhaust_tool.jpg

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilPhil View Post
    When I installed mine, I made this, uuh "wrench" thing for the passenger side with the slip joint. Even with all the bolts loose, it can be hard to get the exhaust straight and level. So, yeah, a few bits of wood and I had enough leverage to rotate the pipe without marring it or damaging it.
    exhaust_tool.jpg
    Reminds me of a "wrench" I made to get a sealing cap off my old Audi's fuel tank (I could have purchased the "proper" tool from Audi for about $600). Ok, it was a clamping crescent wrench and a brake caliper piston retracting tool used as one, but I felt creative. I was planning to use a spare jack and a hockey puck to level my PS SS muffler after adjusting the slip connection some more, but waiting on warmer days.

20160130_113404.jpg
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    I completed the install of the SS with the drop hangers and they are in place and firm like OE mufflers. Now I need to make a tool like PhilPhil cause I was by myself and couldn't get the leverage to make them just right. A project for another day. Also I'll be making U brackets to support SS on both sides of the OE rubber hangers. For now it's good and don't forget to paint the rear of muffler so it's not silver like PHilPhil above. I painted mine black and it makes the chrome tips POP!!! And the sweet tone of the SS are not to loud, not to quite, there just right!!

My Cars
    99 Z3MC/00' 2.8 roady
    I need to do this to my SS as well. The inside exhaust tip is vibrating against the muffler cutout in the bumper. It's either reshape the muffler cutout or drop the exhaust down 1-2".

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    Well, if you don't think they are loud enough, you can always go with Eisenmann Race!

SS Sound nice, but from what I remember, weren't obnoxious.

My Cars
    99 Z3MC/00' 2.8 roady
    You are correct, they are not obnoxious... My Magna flo exhaust was loud and would have kept it on ,but the drone was to much for cruising.