Thread: Looking for a project. How much can I expect to pay for a candidate?

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S

Looking for a project. How much can I expect to pay for a candidate?

I just recently started going through my E36 doing some restoration work including some rust repair etc. and I am loving it so far. I am thinking about starting a ground up restoration project for fun. I am a fairly experienced DIY mechanic and would have no issues tearing down an M60 or dealing with pretty much anything else the car could throw at me mechanically. I've always wanted an 8 series and I think this would be a perfect car for this project but I don't know the market.

How much should I expect to pay for an 8 series that doesn't run and has some minor surface rust or paint issues? Is it possible to find an 840 for around 2k or less or am I dreaming? I am not looking for a runner that needs some bushings or something. I am looking for a pretty beat car that's savable.

My Cars
    97 850CI
    The internet is your friend. You can search far and wide to establish a reasonable price so you know when you have found a good deal. I build a spreadsheet to track the cars that I have interest in. There are plenty of 8s with paint issues, and non-runners are out there as well.
    Desecrator of all things Sacred

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S
    I like the idea of building a spreadsheet. I assume you're tracking auctions? I've been searching craigslist via search tempest for a week or two now but I haven't seen a single 8 that isn't a nice example yet.

My Cars
    97 850CI
    I watch Ebay auctions to help determine values, but I don't like to buy a car without seeing it first. You almost need to search daily to have the jump on a bargain.
    Desecrator of all things Sacred

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    91 850 (Panzer), 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman (WifeMobile) www.wuffer.ca

My Cars
    94 BMW 840Ci
    Sometimes decent deals for fixer uppers pop up on www.copart.com, although depending on the type of sale I think you may need a dealer's license? Never looked too far into it myself, so I would do research on that before looking there. Not much there right now except for this flooded 840, which doesn't seem to be much of a deal. Already at $6900 with reserve not met for a flood car? Pass.