Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: gave up on my 1994 740i, new project lined up ready to move on it need some input

My Cars
    1994 740i

gave up on my 1994 740i, new project lined up ready to move on it need some input

several months ago i acquired a 1994 740i that had sat for 8 years in the elements being chewed on by mice .with some members help i was able to rewire the many chewed wires in the E-box restore the brakes change all of the fluids,
    plugs get it running 100%.then the asc+t unit sprung a leak making it for the moment undrivable .i bought a replacement unit after a nightmare of a search it was reasonably priced but ran into a roadblock after my posts went unanswered about tips on how to replace it and i gave up for the most part and walked away from the car .I came across an identical car for sale body and interior are almost perfect .mine needs new paint the interior is ok but still has the faint odor of mice urine even after several treatments with a ozone generator .The one i wish to purchase has 38k less miles and has many many new parts in the last year .The owner says that it runs starts but when you put it in gear it stalls it will start right back up sometimes run and hour fine sometimes it wont stay running at all .its random and he has it in the add as a vacuum leak .I want to buy this car and being the fact that mine runs 100%and has many new parts I'm gonna give up going to try to restore it and use it as a parts car .if you were going to buy this car what would you look into to solve its random stalling issue .I was thinking clean the icv, swap in my maf ,replace plugs, fuel filters, air filter fluids ,swap in my crank and cam position sensors, check for obvious vacuum leaks i have all new relays in mine may swap those in as well .am i on the right track to getting it running stable looking for suggestions thanks
    Last edited by vr117; 11-11-2020 at 11:51 PM.

My Cars
    E32 750il
    I'd say go for it.
    If you've got a car lined up that's in better shape and you're willing to put a bit of time and effort in swapping bits and bobs over then why not.
    Hopefully you'll end up with one good car and a whole shed load of spares for the future.
    Good luck

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1994 740i
    That’s my mentality for doing It everything original no accidents pulled the carfax it’s got 203k I’m hoping it’s something fast and simple famous last words lol the previous owner has done a lot but hasn’t gotten the stalling sorted
    Last edited by vr117; 10-30-2020 at 07:16 PM.

My Cars
    E32 750il
    I've no clue as to what your stalling issue might be by the way but i hope you get it sorted

My Cars
    1994 740i
    The one I have is identical in every way I’ll swap everything one at a time until it’s right mine runs 100%

My Cars
    1994 740i
    the owner changed the fpr with a bosch unit, did new oem fuel filters but used an aftermarket off brand fuel pump could that be a good starting point car idles fine but dies in gear .just fishing for ideas sounds like fuel delivery issue. both fusible links were done he gave me a list of many repairs just about everything on it i was gonna try to cure this stalling problem
    Last edited by vr117; 11-11-2020 at 11:52 PM.

My Cars
    E32 750il
    I'm surprised you've not had more people reply on this one as there are some real experts on here that know way more than I ever could. Personally if the car is idling with the off brand fuel pump I don't see why it wouldn't run with it. Bosch relays are always good though so I don't see that being a problem.
    I still think it sounds electrical rather than mechanical myself but again..I'm no expert.
    Keep us posted though

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Maybe a idle speed control valve problem, check that. Bentley repair manual page 130-27, I suggest you get one
    terminal 1 and terminal 2 20 +/- 2 ohms
    terminal 2 and 3 20 +/- 2 ohms
    terminals 1 and 3 40 +/- 4 ohms

throttle position sensor M60, page 130-26
    test condition......................................... ................................terminals......... .................................test value
    harness connector disconnected, ignition on....................1 in harness connector and ground.....................5 VDC approx.
    harness connector disconnected, ignition OFF...................1 and 3 at sensor terminals...............................4 k ohms approx.
    throttle plate rotated from idle to full throttle position.........1 and 2 at sensor terminals..............................continiousl y variable from 1.0 - 4.0 k ohms (approx) without interruption
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1994 740i
    IAC is brand new bosch unit so i assume it oks although thank Shogun i will check it and its electrics and the throttle position sensor. could this be a failing ecu if so is it just a swap or do i need programming
    Last edited by vr117; 11-11-2020 at 11:54 PM.

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    I have no knowledge of this issue in the E32, in general when put in gear and stalling, it is an indicator of a lean condition, or when accelerating off idle. One of my Jeep project a 1986 that I bought 2 years ago, was fine when cold (it is carbureted, so has choke) and went put in gear it was fine, but at operating temp, it was stalling... solution was revving up and putting in gear -not good-, I temporarily increased the idle, it worked until I went back to my driveway. When I checked various settings, it had very lean jets, 50 instead of 56 on the standard set up.
    Hope it helps, check for a lean condition...

My Cars
    1994 740i
    Ok I’m just a home diy guy so to the best of my knowledge lean means it’s not getting enough fuel?is that correct there was an aftermarket fuel pump used could it be providing enough pressure to idle the car fine but when place into gear under load it stalls not enough fuel ?

My Cars
    8/88 750iL
    Sorry OP, I have a hard time understanding your posts. What is the symptom of the car -- stalling? Is this a 740?

If you are facing a stalling issue, I would attach a fuel pressure gauge and check fuel pressure. I bet you'll find it's not correct and need a new fuel pump

1989 BMW 750iL (prod 08/88) (vin: 2768675)
    Gone but not forgotten: 1994 BMW 740iL (prod 10/11/1993) (vin: *DE89667) 6spd swap, 2001 BMW 740i Sport

My Cars
    1994 740i
    Im buying a car in much better physical condition to one that I originally bought several months ago for a restoration I got the original car running 100% but ran into a problem with the asc+t pump leaking I was getting ready to swap it out until I stumbled across this nicer car for a great price it's identical in every way to mine . It has a stalling issue I was hoping between my excellent running car minus brakes and this stalling car I can make one great e32
    Last edited by vr117; 11-11-2020 at 11:56 PM.

My Cars
    1994 740i
    The first thing I’m going to try is the maf on mine because the seller used a oem used one unlikely it’s bad but an easy swap iac is brand new my next step if the maf don’t work is try my fuel pump which is not new but 100% functional in essence swap stuff slowly till I find the culprit I have a peake code reader that I was very pleased to find in my trunk of the original car I’m going to see if that give me some insight since the cel isn’t on maybe it will set me along the right path
    Last edited by vr117; 11-11-2020 at 01:09 PM.

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    Quote Originally Posted by paulmer View Post
    I would attach a fuel pressure gauge and check fuel pressure. I bet you'll find it's not correct and need a new fuel pump
    X2, even new parts can be defective... It happens quite frequently with the aftermarket parts...

Years ago when the valve body was replaced by a BMW valve body on the 5HP30 trans, the shop called and said: we did what you suggested and now there is no forward or reverse gear... the shop did not know that you can test the valve body before installation... the valve was defective...

My Cars
    1994 740i
    I’m gonna be honest and I am not knocking reputable shops at all but I would never attempt to even own one of these cars if I had to pay someone to fix it I try to do as much as I can even if it’s beyond my comfort zone !!!but ive learned so much and try to continue to learn daily not gonna lie my garage walls could talk there would be much in the line of swear words floating out of them lol

My Cars
    1994 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by paulmer View Post
    Sorry OP, I have a hard time understanding your posts. What is the symptom of the car -- stalling? Is this a 740?

If you are facing a stalling issue, I would attach a fuel pressure gauge and check fuel pressure. I bet you'll find it's not correct and need a new fuel pump
    Both 1994 740i after seeing the owners list I agree and I’m leaning towards the fuel pump being the cause I don’t have a fuel pressure tester at the moment but it’s easy enough to just swap it out the one in my original car is fine so that first order of business

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    Quote Originally Posted by vr117 View Post
    Both 1994 740i after seeing the owners list I agree and I’m leaning towards the fuel pump being the cause I don’t have a fuel pressure tester at the moment but it’s easy enough to just swap it out the one in my original car is fine so that first order of business
    to be frank... in 10 years you will have all the tools you need... When I started all my tools could fit in a shoe box... now it is a 6 shelfs on a moving rack... plus a few more larger items....

fuel pressure gauge, vacuum hand pump (latter added an electrical vacuum pump), impact driver, better impact driver, super duper more powerful impact driver (1200ft/lbs), welder... I need a better welder now... I have been eyeing a barn for a few years...

My Cars
    1994 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by letank View Post
    to be frank... in 10 years you will have all the tools you need... When I started all my tools could fit in a shoe box... now it is a 6 shelfs on a moving rack... plus a few more larger items....

fuel pressure gauge, vacuum hand pump (latter added an electrical vacuum pump), impact driver, better impact driver, super duper more powerful impact driver (1200ft/lbs), welder... I need a better welder now... I have been eyeing a barn for a few years...
    trust me I have all that minus the barn my cheap pressure gauge didn’t make it when I dropped it just never got around to replacing it yet. I used to wrench a lot when I was a kid then work ,work, work when my son turned 16 I thought it would be a nice father son project to get him and fix up a car together. that was 5 years ago it was a 500 dollar ml320 and he is still driving it. it sparked the fire and I’ve amassed quite a bit in those years the money I saved on labor I put in tools and each and everyone of those tools had earned it’s keep. it's good to have healthy hobbies but definitely not a cheap one for sure
    Last edited by vr117; 11-12-2020 at 12:00 AM.

My Cars
    1994 740i
    so i got the new car home finally. when we arrived it was running great the owner said it had been running for around 20 mins while he waited on us .as soon as he put it in gear it died after several restarts he got it up on the trailer .when my son started it to get it off it wouldn't start at first until he pumped the gas it started and stayed running until it was parked inside my garage .i plugged my Peake reader in no codes at all .little to go on there I'm no pro but because it sounded so good while running i didn't hear any hissing or sucking sounds indicating an obvious vacuum leak i don't think thats a problem it idled steady and even .as soon as it was placed in drive it immediately died .the only aftermarket part on this thing is the fuel pump everything else was oem that was replaced .would the Maf or fuel pump be possible causes ?could it also be possible to be the throttle position sensors they look original this is my first e32 and definitely my first experience with the M60 V8 I have my parts car that runs 100% but I don't want to just throw parts at it any ideas will be greatly appreciated

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    You have to start testing, see my post #8.
    Also air intake sensor, coolant sensor, it is all written in the Bentley Repair manual for the E32 in detail. You need a Bentley Repair Manual, that is better than the workshop manual because the workshop manual too often refers to special BMW tool numbers etc.
    Also how to test the fuel pressure and the volume.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    They're still available. You can buy used, but here's one brand spanking new. Comes to your house, and with a quick wipe down "Covid Free" lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bmw-Repair-...wAAOSwn0xfdyw6
    1990 735I (Auto) E32 Feb 1990 to Present
    1996 Z3 Roadster (5 Speed) E36/7 Jan 1999 to Dec 1999
    1983 733I (5 Speed) E23 April 1983 to Feb 1990
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4tHoHGaJo
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av20xCMMocSsyEpl...h_oOk?e=ekIcAT

My Cars
    1994 740i
    I have the manual I got the manual and the code reader with the original car so that was a score as far as I’m concerned lol!!!!the reasons for my questions is because I was just looking for starting points and possible causes because I don’t quite know what does what on these cars yet I’m still learning the manual explains how to test and swap out but I’m mainly looking for is the what to test and swap out because of my inexperience of how it all works. these are a far cry from the Chevy trucks I used to wrench on as a kid when this car was new and for years because of career and time constraints I just paid shops it wasn’t until about 5 years ago I started working on cars again as a hobby
    Not a ton of stuff on YouTube for these cars and the forums is where I go next so that’s why the questions
    Last edited by shogun; 02-14-2021 at 07:55 PM.

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    It's a little tough for you here I know. Thing is, Shogun knows everything there is to know when it comes to the 12 cylinder E32's, and so many of us have had the M30 6 cylinders apart and back together again with pictures galore. Your eight cylinder 740, is a great car. Being an E32 owner for 31 years I'd love to drive one for a few miles just to see what those extra two cylinders did. But not too many 740/M60 people here. Corey was one, but I don't see him posting any longer and I think he sold his beautiful white 740 to another board member. Keep putting those questions out there, eventually somebody will have had the same problems you're dealing with.
    Jeff
    1990 735I (Auto) E32 Feb 1990 to Present
    1996 Z3 Roadster (5 Speed) E36/7 Jan 1999 to Dec 1999
    1983 733I (5 Speed) E23 April 1983 to Feb 1990
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4tHoHGaJo
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av20xCMMocSsyEpl...h_oOk?e=ekIcAT

My Cars
    1994 740i
    I have loved these cars since I was a teenager but it was the unobtainable then!!! then it was all about family and work so that lead to practicality not fun which I have no regrets.now it took me a while but I got two sitting here lol the first car after fixing a massive amount of damage to the wiring runs well but this one has less miles and was garage kept it’s a beautiful car it would of taken me much more money to bring the first car to this level than the purchase price. I’m thinking of checking in the e34 section to see what some of the 540 owners have to say I will keep trying until I get a well running car but nothing worth doing is ever easy lol

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast