Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E39 Paddle Shifter Conversion

My Cars
    '03 E39 540i, M-Sport

E39 Paddle Shifter Conversion

Has anyone installed/converted their steering wheel to the E46 wheel with the SMG paddle shifters on their E39 lately?

Most of the posts I've found on the subject are years old. Just wondering if it's still a viable option.

Thinking of doing it on mine.

2003 540iA, M-Sport Dinan

Thx

My Cars
    2001 530i, 2007 X5 3.0si
    Lol thanks for reminding me to do this on mine.

It's been quite a while since I put my SMG M3 wheel on, but without hooking up the paddles.

Apparently, it's just a matter of wiring the paddles through a heated steering wheel clockspring and splicing into the tiptronic controls on the shiftier.

I'm a weirdo, so my plan is to make a mini-harness out of oem components to enable this feature while being completely removable.

One day.....

My Cars
    00 528/5 & 02 530i Sport
    Is there a way to tune the TCU to make it more responsive to the shifts?

My Cars
    2000 e39 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by JPR10 View Post
    Is there a way to tune the TCU to make it more responsive to the shifts?
    I believe there is a way to reset the adaptive learning module and that may help.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E39 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustyleek View Post
    I believe there is a way to reset the adaptive learning module and that may help.

Becauae of the nature of the tiptronic, you won't ever get near instant shifts though... There is always going to be about a second delay

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by StRaNgEdAyS; 02-22-2018 at 11:49 PM.

My Cars
    2000 e39 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by StRaNgEdAyS View Post
    Encase of the nature of the tiptronic, you won't ever get near instant shifts though... There is always going to be about a second delay

No never will. Only thinking outside the box to see if that could help with delays

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I have the paddles, switches, etc. that I retrofitted into a pretty nice e39 steering wheel (it was the one that came with my 03 530iA). I bought a beat up SMG wheel as a core to get the locations that needed modification (foam cutting out to make room for the switches and holes in the back of the wheel) and then did the swap into the good wheel. I still have the wheel as well since I've done a manual swap since. If anyone wants the whole thing minus the airbag (use your own), PM me. Only thing I don't have available is the heated steering wheel clockspring, unless someone wants to trade their good working regular one so I have one to put in my car. When I did the wiring, I used BMW connectors and pins to put in-line with the connector that goes to the shifter so it could be removed easily without cutting the wires. I think there's a guide out there that has part numbers for that.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    '03 E39 540i, M-Sport
    Hey Chris

Yup, that's what I've concluded as well. new clock spring and a wire harness and wheel of course.

Reason I asked the original question is, I sent a question to a supplier of conversion kits. I asked what the kit contained. I was curious what he was charging 299$ for and was wanting to compare it with what it would cost me.

The reply I got back was simply it "contains all the parts to make the conversion". I asked for clarification and second response was just as vague. I simply wanted to know did it have a harness? Clock spring etc, what would justify 299$. I would have purchased if it seemed reasonable for what was contained in the kit (I can be lazy)

I said thanks, but not interested. In response he scoffed at me saying his kit has a microprocessor and assorted other items that would make it work like it came out of the factory (yea, i know, e39s didn't come from the factory with SMG ) and "those DIYs don't work".

Being as so many have completed the mod without the "microprocessor" and did work, I was curious if I was missing something in my searches.

I picked up the connectors from my local electronics store, for 20$ and a clock spring from the local BMW wrecker for 40$, well below the 299$ quoted. .

Just hunting for a Steering wheel and as soon as it warms up, I'll get it done.

I'll pass on what I do for ya.

Cheers

Gord

My Cars
    '03 E39 540i, M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    I have the paddles, switches, etc. that I retrofitted into a pretty nice e39 steering wheel (it was the one that came with my 03 530iA). I bought a beat up SMG wheel as a core to get the locations that needed modification (foam cutting out to make room for the switches and holes in the back of the wheel) and then did the swap into the good wheel. I still have the wheel as well since I've done a manual swap since. If anyone wants the whole thing minus the airbag (use your own), PM me. Only thing I don't have available is the heated steering wheel clockspring, unless someone wants to trade their good working regular one so I have one to put in my car. When I did the wiring, I used BMW connectors and pins to put in-line with the connector that goes to the shifter so it could be removed easily without cutting the wires. I think there's a guide out there that has part numbers for that.
    Hi Black knight

sent you a PM, I would be interested in your steering wheel. I sent you a PM

Thanks

G...
    2003 540iA, M-Sport, Stage 2 Dinan, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Cold Air Intake, S2 Engine and Transmission. Sterling Silver

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    I installed the SMG paddle shift couple years back. It's a very simple swap and works pretty well with the e39.
    I followed these threads on how to install.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=895897

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=576444

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=571539

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=826971&page=2

I used OEM connectors from ECSTuning and this wiring diagram is correct and pretty simple.

My Cars
    '03 E39 540i, M-Sport
    Thanks Jp

Those are the ones I was planning on following.

Confirmation it works is great.

Many thanks
    2003 540iA, M-Sport, Stage 2 Dinan, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Cold Air Intake, S2 Engine and Transmission. Sterling Silver

My Cars
    2001 530i, 2007 X5 3.0si
    Quote Originally Posted by GFCH View Post

I said thanks, but not interested. In response he scoffed at me saying his kit has a microprocessor and assorted other items that would make it work like it came out of the factory (yea, i know, e39s didn't come from the factory with SMG ) and "those DIYs don't work".

Gord
    That's pretty funny - I guess he has to justify his prices somehow....

Although I have heard of a guy who somehow used a microprocessor or circuit board so that you didn't have to put the shifter in Tiptronic mode (move shifter to left) to make the paddles work. He set it up in such a way that if you pulled back on both paddles at the same time, that would over-ride the shifter location and put it into Tiptronic mode.

I remember that he had many issued with it, so I decided not to do that

Hey Chris

I'll pass on what I do for ya.

Gord

Thanks

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

I put the E46 M3 CSL steering wheel in my car back in 2008/9 and loved it! I went out for a spirited drive for about 3 hours right after it was done

The links above will show it's an easy conversion - you'll need the SMG slip ring, SMG steering wheel and the 'loom' to connect it up. For a few years, there was a 'kit' available from sellers on Ebay for around £60 for just the loom, around £180 for the loom and slip ring that you'd simply purchase ready made as it were. Pricing may have changed as well as those listings, but were around for quite a long time and might still be.

There's no change to the responsiveness/timing of shift changes as all you are doing is 'relocating' the steptronic up/down to the steering wheel area. Once you get used to it, you can make some good shifts. I think there is ways to re-map the gearbox settings and I thought of doing it for a while. Never did around to actioning it though!

The listing where a seller had a kit to pull both paddles back and thus put the car into steptronic mode seemed pointless to me. It's just so easy to use your hand to knock the gearlever into steptronic mode ! Might as well save yourself the £150 or so it cost I seem to remember?!

I've now converted to a 5 speed manual, so my CSL steering wheel will soon be coming off along with the slip ring and wiring loom. There's two other SMG steering wheels in my storage too, so I'll have to list them up soon

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    I made this DIY when I added an E46 paddle shifter steering wheel to my E38.
    Since then, I also added one to my E39 (same steps).
    I also created an insert (thanks to my buddy LA-Sean) that sits in between the connectors of the steptronic shifter so that it can be removed (if needed).
    And yes, while it doesn't make the shifts any quicker, mentally it feels quicker because you're using paddles vs. the shift lever.
    Here's my write up from a few years ago:
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/462216/

And, FWIW, both cars still have the paddles & they continue to work fine.
    Last edited by sealbeach740; 12-24-2018 at 05:47 PM.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    '03 E39 540i, M-Sport
    Thanks Dennis

if you put those wheels up in the near future let me know!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Sealbeach..

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    This would be a fun conversion, but the most annoying thing about Steptronic is the damn computer overriding and constantly upshifting too soon. I could live with the super long shift times if it would stay locked in manual mode without the computer overriding constantly.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    '03 E39 540i, M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by f355spider View Post
    This would be a fun conversion, but the most annoying thing about Steptronic is the damn computer overriding and constantly upshifting too soon. I could live with the super long shift times if it would stay locked in manual mode without the computer overriding constantly.
    I agree but the Dinan Stage 2 Software takes care of that issue.

My shift times are faster than I can blink and happen when needed..

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Yeah, the Dinan software is your best bet. From the factory these really are autotragics.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMelnyk View Post
    ...I'm a weirdo, so my plan is to make a mini-harness out of oem components to enable this feature while being completely removable...
    Not a weirdo. I would call that a proper, non-bodge job.

I've done more retrofits and installs than I want to remember, but my nr1 rule is to never, ever cut and splice into existing wiring.

I did a paddle shifter install on my Euro M3 SMG1 and did exactly that. A small custom made 'contra' wiring loom from OEM BMW wiring and connectors.

Remove the 2 shift signal wires from OEM connector. Stick the 2 pins of the new loom into the connector you just pulled the two pins from. The 2 pulled pins go into the connector on the left. Connector on the right connects to the yellow wire connector, that goes to the steering wheel slipring. It's simple ground switched signals. The steering wheel's internal ground point is shared with horn and the shift signals.

1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Somebody has the P/Ns for the slip rings and connectors? I thought I'd be manualswapped by now but I'm feeling the need of doing this.
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    E39 535i
    I'd love a link to the DINAN EGS software...

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Quote Originally Posted by StRaNgEdAyS View Post
    I'd love a link to the DINAN EGS software...

DinanCars.com.

https://www.dinancars.com/product/d9...ies=&mid=540i/
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    E39
    Hello, May I ask where to plug in the 2 pin connector? Behind the steeling wheel? I saw a post which he removed the lower panel and connected the pin at the back side the the steeling wheel.

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    The 2 pin connector (for the paddle info wires to the tranny) goes into the backside of the slip ring.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    I agree but the Dinan Stage 2 Software takes care of that issue.

My shift times are faster than I can blink and happen when needed..
    Wait, so the Dinan software prevents the upshifts as long as you are below redline? Faster than you can blink?
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast