Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Supercharger on a Budget

My Cars
    skateboard
    Hrmmmi I haz the m52tu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    I am starting to look for a deal for Twin Screw supercharger for M52B28... If anyone sees anything, please let me know.
    Me too for sure, it only blows that Eurosport kit costs 8000$.

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    Disa Valve
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    The small blower kit OP is looking at makes no mention of the intake manifold. This leaves one wondering if they expect the end user to fabricate their own, or if they some how plumb back into the stock throttle. Based on the hacksaw job done with the Eaton, I suspect the latter.

Morrie, serous question. How much do you think this project would cost from start to safely running car? That includes all the fabrication needed to complete the kit, modifications needed to make it fit the Z3 platform, and the costs of locating a competent tuner willing to take on this one-off job and shipping the car to them.
    Last edited by rf900rkw; 02-25-2018 at 07:12 PM.

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    The small blower kit OP is looking at makes no mention of the intake manifold. This leaves one wondering if they expect the end user to fabricate their own, or if they some how plumb back into the stock throttle. Based on the hacksaw job done with the Eaton, I suspect the latter.

Morrie, serous question. How much do you think this project would cost from start to safely running car? That includes all the fabrication needed to complete the kit, modifications needed to make it fit the Z3 platform, and the costs of locating a competent tuner willing to take on this one-off job and shipping the car to them.
    That's a Great question, Randy. I know a thimble full about Supercharging and just now looking into the possibility of doing this (with help from an Indy shop). Apparently a lot of you guys think the Hyde Motorworks Supercharger is not a reliable product and leaves valid questions about more parts needed to complete the project. I do realize the Supercharger will need tuning by a professional. I also think the sub frame will need to be reinforced since the Supercharger will increase HP and put more stress on the sub frame. That is going to be pricey. So I have no idea what the final price tag will be. It makes me wonder if Supercharging can be done on a budget with the Z3. BTW, I have no plans to ship my car anywhere....rather drive myself. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
    Last edited by MORRIE; 02-25-2018 at 08:08 PM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I'm not down on the HMS systems. I think that what they are doing has a lot of merit.... something I would consider. What we are saying is the system is not complete, let alone having the fit and finish of a main stream product. They may eventually get there, they may not. But at this point, there are very few on this forum with the skill set necessary to successfully install one of these kits. There is much merit in Dan's offer of a turn key proven system.

With the supercharger and supporting injectors and MAF installed, the car will not run on a stock tune. Won't even start. You may be able to find a base FI tune that would allow you to limp to a tuner, but the risks of engine damage is high.

My Cars
    skateboard
    I'm not down on the HMS systems. I think that what they are doing has a lot of merit.... something I would consider. What we are saying is the system is not complete, let alone having the fit and finish of a main stream product. They may eventually get there, they may not. But at this point, there are very few on this forum with the skill set necessary to successfully install one of these kits. There is much merit in Dan's offer of a turn key proven system.

With the supercharger and supporting injectors and MAF installed, the car will not run on a stock tune. Won't even start. You may be able to find a base FI tune that would allow you to limp to a tuner, but the risks of engine damage is high.
    The tuning part is easy. It’s the hardware that fits is the hard part since it’s a small market.

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    One Too Many

Thumbs up

Its only fair I dropped by and cleared the "misconceptions going on" about my work for those who aren't familiar, this is my project started right here on the E36 Section years and years ago. Its a Complete System, There is no Fabrication needed. Everything is provided down to the bolts, done professionally for the V2.1, and the M122H is more so the one we have to do by hand, we plan to automate that.

Our kits use either a tiny 1.5L Roots SC14 Blower,
    Or Can use the M90 Blower
    or Can use the GT500 M122H or TVS 2.3L Blower right out of the Shelby Mustang GT500.

It can also support a 3L Twin Screw and thats WITH a front mount air to air intercooler, and thats something no other top dollar brands support. Oh and it puts out 15PSI out of the box (the GT500 Blower) and can be restricted to 9PSI. And can be pushed over 30PSI.

There is no manifold modifications needed for the smaller blowers, while if you plan to put on the GT500 Blower inside, then obviously you will have to use our manifold, we provide it pre made using a M50 Manifold, so a straight swap there too.

HMW KC GT500 Setup in Bimmerfest #38

SC14 in Tequila Petrol Car in 2017 American Endurace Races

Z4 3L M54b30 With SC14

Brackets Being Laser Cut & Powder coated

And Here's the Installation Guide for anybody wanting to see how it all goes in
    https://hydemotorworks.com/installation-guide/

Tune:
    Now we aren't tuners so we wont BS you and say we got tunes and this and that. I have worked with a lot of Tuners, there is someone above from Texas whos mentioned it, I know em and they have helped me a couple of years back, unfortunately we never were able to continue down that path for a while. Likely you got the MS45 which will need to be swapped for an MS43 ECU, then you can find a Tuner, we know a few, who can tune it up for you. We are just some hobbyist guys who like these cars and have contributed a lot to their usability. This project isn't for everyone, not everyone will like it, but if you are the DIY type, pretty much everything is there.

And here is my challenge to anybody with a Z3 or Z4.

Bring your car down to NJ, leave it for a month, Me and my Buddy will install and supply all parts for a basic V2.1 Setup, low boost. Everything paid for, Come by pick it up and if you like what we did and its functional then welcome to pay but again only if you like the work, heck we will go on contract. Otherwise we will take it all off, no pay. Dont think no big brand will offer you that.

So there you go, beat that fellas.
    - Hyde

Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Join the club. Pretty much the only blower setup I’d really like .

Again, Its a Complete System, There is no Fabrication needed. Everything hardware side is provided, short of your air filter, silicone couplers, worm clamps. Then Again, its a DIY project keep that in mind, its involved but heck if you have some experience working on these cars almost a novice can do it.

Reliability?

24hours of endurance racing, first time a Supercharged Car went in the American Endurance Races was the HMW setup. Thats pedigree.

My Setups have gone and came 3rd out of 80 Cars in 2017 American Endurance Races, the HMW M122H KC got #38th Place in the Bimmerfest East 2017, Its going into the National Kit Car Show 2018 in the UK. I have tons of clients and folks around the world using what I have offered. Yourself Sir??

We are just as reliable as the next guy if not more. Now I dont see what the problem is, just because its a smaller project and costs a fraction of a top dollar kit (which big brands overcharge you by marking their production costs to 5-8 times by the way), doesn't take away from what the HMW stuff can or cant do. I just dont see what your deal is calling our hard work a pile of bent tubing & throwing mud at my general direction. Jeez.

Quote Originally Posted by MORRIE View Post
    That's a Great question, Randy. I know a thimble full about Supercharging and just now looking into the possibility of doing this (with help from an Indy shop). Apparently a lot of you guys think the Hyde Motorworks Supercharger is not a reliable product and leaves valid questions about more parts needed to complete the project. I do realize the Supercharger will need tuning by a professional. I also think the sub frame will need to be reinforced since the Supercharger will increase HP and put more stress on the sub frame. That is going to be pricey. So I have no idea what the final price tag will be. It makes me wonder if Supercharging can be done on a budget with the Z3. BTW, I have no plans to ship my car anywhere....rather drive myself. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
    If you are serious, and have a backup car, then bring it down in April, We will do it for no charge. Just to prove a point.
    Last edited by MisterM52; 02-25-2018 at 11:07 PM.
    "So we've come to the conclusion that BMW just has parts laying around they decide to throw on cars for no reason."

Interest on a Very Budget Supercharger Build??

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    If i was in the area i would find a Z3 to buy just to take you up on that offer I am in love with a roots blower sound.

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    Can you use the big blower with an M52TU?
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim95M3 View Post
    Can you use the big blower with an M52TU?
    Yep, the GT500 Blower will work on the M52/M52TUB/M50/M54. Hasn't been tested on a Z3/Z4 Yet though. We have 3 orders for the GT500 Blower Setups Takes us a good part of 2 months to complete a single one. But if we had a Z3/Z4 around would love to test fit it out on it.

That said putting such a big blower on there there are risks, the thing puts our close to a bar of boost with an air to air intercooler, if we use the internal by pass valve then it can be only restricted to 9PSI, and thats with all stock pulley's. So yea, unless you got a built motor and dont want to restrict the blower to 9PSI, probably a bad idea going that big.

Quote Originally Posted by MarketMaster View Post
    If i was in the area i would find a Z3 to buy just to take you up on that offer I am in love with a roots blower sound.
    Well, I'll try sending you a set of brackets down the line if you wana do a build.
    "So we've come to the conclusion that BMW just has parts laying around they decide to throw on cars for no reason."

My Cars
    skateboard
    Hrmmmi large blower on this would put the 285’s to work

― George Orwell

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Hrmmmi large blower on this would put the 285’s to work

Could do that but if the motor is not built.....a blower that large... allowed to put out what it usually does unrestricted, would be a recipe for disaster...

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    Checked the trunk today for loose spot welds and cracking....looks good...don't see any tears or loose spot welds. Will check under car tomorrow. If everything checks out okay, I suppose I should replace sub frame bushings and consider ordering the differential mount kit from Randy Forbes. This hinges on getting a supercharger. Time will tell.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    You read far more negative into my posts than was actually there. My "misinformation" is directly from your web site. Your page says nothing about a complete kit, only offering plans and bracket kits and "call us" notes. I could go on, but suffice it to say what you present here is very different from the web page.A

My Cars
    One Too Many
    You read far more negative into my posts than was actually there. My "misinformation" is directly from your web site. Your page says nothing about a complete kit, only offering plans and bracket kits and "call us" notes. I could go on, but suffice it to say what you present here is very different from the web page.A
    Well, everything I put here is right from the website its all in the blogs and supercharger setups page, so yea. But hey most folks just glance over a page and make up their mind, and if thats how some folks see it, who am I to say otherwise. basically thats what I have done over the years, progressed to, what I can offer and help with, so yea.

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    This might help clear any confusion what is being offered in the supercharger kit. Remember, this is a DIY project and requires a tuning by someone who knows what they are doing. It may be a bolt on supercharger but there may be some decisions to be made along the way of how to move forward with the project. http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...rcharger-Build

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Hello Everyone, The Final prototype for the V2.2Z Brackets are now complete.
    We would be putting a small batch (fully powder coated and everything) into production later this month.

Just a Sneak Peak of the main bracket.

V2.2Z.jpeg

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Can you powder coat the brackets in ANSI grey 70?

The Eaton short-nose based kits would go well with my "why does this car have so many industrial products in it" and "what is wrong with this person" theme I have going. :p

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Quote Originally Posted by LannVouivre View Post
    Can you powder coat the brackets in ANSI grey 70?

The Eaton short-nose based kits would go well with my "why does this car have so many industrial products in it" and "what is wrong with this person" theme I have going. :p
    Hey, lol. They come powder coated black from the factory but sure should be able to have individual brackets powder coated to that or anything else, might be a little extra but no biggie. We will be doing 15% off for the first few orders for the Z3/Z4 Brackets. Need people to try it out soon after its out really.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Oh, I was only teasing myself. I love this kind of stuff. In fact, if I didn't have to save to move out I'd already have ordered a kit.

IMG_20171208_090113.jpg

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by LannVouivre View Post
    Oh, I was only teasing myself. I love this kind of stuff. In fact, if I didn't have to save to move out I'd already have ordered a kit.

THAT was exactly what my last couple of day jobs had me building! There are very few water and waste-water plants in Louisiana that are NOT operating with control panels that I built, and when I first moved to Ohio, I worked for a system integration company there building panels and doing start up work.

I always loved the fact that I got to peek behind the curtain of a great many processes that we all take for granted every day, and I wouldn't have ever wanted to change that aspect of a thirty-three (>33) year career.

I do however, prefer to stay home and play with cars nowadays though!

PS: your Panduit lids need trimming...
    (the rest looks nice though, but seems we always gravitated to AB PLCs)

My Cars
    skateboard
    Pretty fancy

― George Orwell

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    The foreman wants them to reach the bottom of the enclosure so that they don't slide down from vibrations. I don't like to do them that way

That one's a special meter panel. I think it monitors for H2S and sets off alarms and starts fans if it detects too much. Apparently we have made over 3,000 of them.

Also those are HellermannTytan ones. I prefer the material Panduit uses, much less rigid and painful.

I also make tags!

IMG_20180112_165036.jpg

IMG_20180314_153745.jpg

IMG_20180216_153958.jpg

Made using an antique New Hermes ITF pantograph, Gravograph stock, an antique Johnson Plastics Safety Saw, and New Hermes beveller. We just got a new letter set from Specialty Engravers that is much higher quality and better consistency than the crap from Gravograph.
    Last edited by LannVouivre; 04-11-2018 at 07:22 AM.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    Turbo

-Ed Hands
    MaxPSI Stg2 Turbo
    R.Forbes magic F&R
    100K Original owner miles.
    Proud member of the BF.c FI - Big Torque Club (>500wtq Dyno Results)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast