Thread: TPMS swap

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5

TPMS swap

CaN I use the TPMS sensors out of my 16 inch stock wheels in my soon to be mounted 18 inch 107's. Do I need to take them to the local stealer for reprogramming. A local tire dealer said if the wheel and sensor are swapped out within 30 minutes, there is no need. If I was putting on the same size tires there wouldn't be a problem. Any help or advice would be great. Thanks

My Cars
    2007 750i BMW; 2003 Z4 3.0 BMW; 2002 Lexus LS430;
    If you have the '03 model that your profile indicates you don't have TPMS sensors, the ABS system is used to determine differences in tire rotations: a tire that is low will rotate more often than a tire with proper inflation and the low pressure warning is set.

My Cars
    BMW
    ^bingo

But that being said, tire pressure sensors can be moved from wheel to wheel as long as care is taken not to damage the sensor.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5
    I do have an 03 2.5. When I turn my key to 2nd position, I see a tire symbol in the instrument cluster. I always assumed I have TPMS. No one has ever told me any difference. So I can put on my 18 inch wheels with no difficulty ? Thank you for the help.

My Cars
    EXOTICS

Info from ZPOST forum

Originally Posted by jmillet Your2003 Z4 has FTM not TPM.
    FTM stands for the Flat Tire Monitor. As air leaks, tire pressure decreases, and the tire rotates faster. ABS sensors on the wheels detect a change in wheel rotation speeds, which signifies a change in the roll radius, or pressure level, of the tires. A warning light in the instrument panel notifies the driver of the pressure loss. In case of significant pressure loss, a warning buzzer sounds.
    TPM - Tire Pressure Monitor. Basically a two piece item, a special air valve as well as a module that is on the inside of the rim and connects to the valve stem. This unit monitors the actual pressure inside the rim. (This was introduced in the 2007 model year)
    On FTM-equipped cars, the valve stems are the old rubber type; on TPMS cars, they're metal.

My Cars
    2007 750i BMW; 2003 Z4 3.0 BMW; 2002 Lexus LS430;
    Quote Originally Posted by tombrhill View Post
    I do have an 03 2.5. When I turn my key to 2nd position, I see a tire symbol in the instrument cluster. I always assumed I have TPMS. No one has ever told me any difference. So I can put on my 18 inch wheels with no difficulty ? Thank you for the help.
    Yes, put the 18's on. The tire symbol, like all other warning/alert symbols, briefly light at startup to show that the bulbs are still good.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5
    Thanks to all !! I will admit to bein mechanically uninclined and a Newbie. I'm taking small steps with my little car. One thing at a time. I was beginning to think that no one was going to step forward with helpful advice. Thank goodness there are some people willing to steer me in the right direction. Next project after the tires is to replace the cracked windshield cowling. Thanks again.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5
    Well, I installed my 107 wheels with new 18 inch tires on my Sapphire Black 03 Z4 and I cannot believe how much better it looks and drives. Now I'm gonna give it a little time and then figure out what size spacers to use. I kinda like the way it looks now, but I know most people on the forum add them to fill up the wheel wells.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5
    The Flat Tire Monitor works. A warning light with a tire symbold came on red. I checked my new tires mounted on reconditioned wheels. My left front is flat. I'm hoping it has a nail in it because this wheel had to have a crack welded and I hope it hasn't recracked.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Good progress, I hope it has not cracked again.
    I do hope you realize, that every time you adjust or change suspension geometry,
    with such things as new replacement parts(like wheel spacers),
    a wheel alignment is recommended!

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5
    It wasn't a cracked wheel, thank goodness. The bead of the tire wasn't tight against the rim. I remounted tire, no more problems. I hated having it done because the tire installer marks up my restored wheel. Maybe these low profile tires got out of wacky on a bumpy road.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Change installer,
    not someone I would go too!

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0 E85
    Quote Originally Posted by tombrhill View Post
    It wasn't a cracked wheel, thank goodness. The bead of the tire wasn't tight against the rim. I remounted tire, no more problems. I hated having it done because the tire installer marks up my restored wheel. Maybe these low profile tires got out of wacky on a bumpy road.
    I have slow-leak issues from time to time for the same reason. I changed my 107 wheels for 2nd hand 108 wheels, and for some reason they seem to be prone to corrosion internally. My tyre guy removes the tyre then cleans up the inside of the rim, then the tyre holds its pressure again for a long time (maybe a year or so?) until I get the slow leaks starting again and have to repeat the process. Anyone know why this happens? Is it common with 107/108 wheels?