Thread: M52 Heater Core and Spider Hose Delete Info

My Cars
    1997 328is, 1995 540i

M52 Heater Core and Spider Hose Delete Info

Hey guys. I have successfully removed and bypassed the heater core and spider hose in my e36. I was finding some conflicting information on the forums so hopefully someone will find this info helpful.

Firstly, you will need to block the port in the back of the head that feeds into the heater core. This can either be done with a short piece of hose and a cap, or a block off plate like the one from HARD Motorsports. You need to block this and not "loop" it to the spider hose (if you are keeping it) because it will divert flow from reaching the rest of the cylinder head and may cause localized overheating.

Next, you will need to block the hose barb that feeds the throttle body coolant lines. The thread is M12x1.5 with a thread length of approximately 15mm. I couldn't find a bolt that short with that thread so I had to cut one shorter. Some teflon tape and a crush washer make this pretty easy to seal up.

Finally, you'll need a obd2 to obd1 spider hose conversion. This piece goes in the hole in the back of the timing cover where the spider hose connects. There is one from ECS tuning that epoxies into the hole, which is the one I got. Achilles motorsports has one that bolts into a nearby bolt hole for the timing cover. It's really clever and reversible, but costs more. As far as I can tell, it isn't possible to cut the spider hose shorter due to it not having anywhere to bolt in to prevent it from blowing out of the timing cover.

Once you have all that done, just run a heater hose from the barb you just installed to the expansion tank. I used 1" hose and it's a little big but 3/4" was too small. Get 5 or 6 feet because it will have to be routed in a way that doesn't kink the hose too much.

http://www.hardmotorsport.com/hard-m...te-bmw-e36-m3/
    https://www.achillesmotorsports.com/...chcap-obd1.htm
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-integrat...s/iebaba1~int/

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Thanks for this. Do you know if this works the same way for an m50?

My Cars
    328i X5 240i
    Hi,
    Do you have any pictures?
    Want to do the same to my M52 but I know US and UK cars differ sometimes.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    You are the man. Thanks for putting this together.