Thread: N63 Engine price drop from BMW

My Cars
    2013 550i xDrive

N63 Engine price drop from BMW

It looks like BMW have dropped the price of their N63 short engines (US term, long block, basically a complete engine) to 3k

link: https://www.jakesweeneybmwparts.com/...SABEgKfafD_BwE

The Alpina one aka N63N to about 3.6k, 3.6k for a 532hp 538 torque engine!
    link: https://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/...002412860.html

These are re-manufactured and sold by bmw dealers with warranty. The brand new ones are about twice as much.

Anyone planning to get a new engine to replace their current N63 can get it done with labor for about 8k, I asked some shops, they quote 4-5k in labor depending on shop, if certain things break during installation etc.

I know a valve stem job on these things cost around 6-7k, for that price, might as well put a new one in instead. I am in the process of getting it done since my n63 blew itself up when its timing chain stretched.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Interesting. When I work in parts we sold a lot to body shops so I'm processing an order for an e38 I punch in the radiator part number and it's price was a lot lower than the day before. I talk to the parts manager that there must be an error, he says the price dropped was because of all the e38's being sold with cpo warrantys and since that would be a cover part BMW was going to have to pay for them. The price went from 5 or 600.00 to like 300.00 over night

My Cars
    2011 BMW 750li
    Just wanted to say THANK YOU for posting this! The engine in my 750 decided to eat itself and I was getting ready to order a high milage long block off ebay for 5k when I stumbled across this post. I got excited at first but trying to work out shipping between cali and oh for the core return was starting to become a nightmare and the people there at jake sweeney were lets just say less than enthusiastic to answer my questions about the core return policy, time, and shipping. I decided to take a long shot and ask my local bmw if they could come close to the internet price of the one in OH. My local dealer Steve Thomas BMW here in camarillo did me one better and MATCHED the jake sweeney internet price. Out the door I paid just over 3200 for a basically new engine. So i do give a big thanks to them, but dude if you hadn't posted this I would have paid 5k for an engine with 80k on it. You saved me almost 2k and I got a zero mile engine! BIG THANK YOU!

My Cars
    2011 550i xDrive M Sport
    Any BMW dealers in Canada offering the same I wonder?

My Cars
    E46 touring
    I just quoted an N63 here in Ontario for $6500 I think. Just the parts for timing chains was almost $5000

My Cars
    2013 550i
    Has anyone replaced N63 engine with The Alpina one aka N63N 532hp 538 torque engine! My 13 550i engine with 80k miles just seized. Not even sure if it’s possible. If so what would be needed? I don’t know too much about cars but looking at all possible options.

My Cars
    2011 500xi M-Sport

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeydo00 View Post
    I just quoted an N63 here in Ontario for $6500 I think. Just the parts for timing chains was almost $5000
    Just got Quoted 6800$ in Québec for it.

I was just curious since BMWCA was paying a new motor and install for my 2011 550 M-Sport.

Just bought it 3 months ago and I had to do the valve seals. My third party warranty was covering half the cost but when they opened the motor to do the work, they noticed all the cylinders and pistons were scratch. The previous owner never did a proper maintenance (oil changes @ about 20k km ). The dealer that sold me the car was the dealer I took the car in for the valve seals job.

Bad thing is that the motor is back order, I have a loaner 2018 330xi since 2 weeks and I'm suposed to get my car back at the end of august... All summer without my car god dang it

My Cars
    X5 xdrive50i
    can anyone comment on how much it cost to do the labor on the switch. I have a pretty bad oil leak and valve stem issues, $3000 for a new engine sounds like a deal.

My Cars
    2011 500xi M-Sport
    Just got an update on my engine. It will get here and they will procede with the install next week...

my service advisor isnt able to help me (or doesn’t want to) for the break-in. They say that bmw recommands a « normal drive » for the first 2000km and then drive how the ehll I want. The probleme is that I got info on break-ins and new engines from a respectable friend (he builds high horse power racing engines) and he says to use organic oil (regular) for the first 500km, then change for 100% synthetic (not that crap from castrol) and to do some hard pulls after the first 300km. I have seen his engines, they run better than great and normally have a 2-3% gain in hp after that break-in method. I’m not so sure about the bmw « recommended break-in, do they recommend this method because they want to sell more engines?

My Cars
    Bmw
    Can anyone help me I got 2016 Bmw 550xi with engine knocking looking to buy rebuild engine remanufacture threw Bmw any links where I can start my local dealer is quoting me for insane amount for the complete engine I don’t really need whole complete engine, my other dealer told me the remanufacture engine are on back order don’t know when they will get them ☹️ They already have one preorder waiting for over 3 months still nothing any help? Where I can purchase this engine n63 for my car

My Cars
    BMW 2011 750i xDrive
    Just back from BMW Toronto with the news that I need a remanufactured engine and new cylinder heads. This after a one hour inspection. Estimated cost 22,000 Canadian. The symptoms I explained One time yesterday after sitting at idle Parker for 30 minutes some blue smoke cane out of BOTH pipes. I tapped the gas and a larger plume of blue smoke. And put them all clear. It has not repeated either on cold start or hot idle OR under heavy acceleration. Car has been using about the anticipated oil avert 1000 km. Engin has 152,000 km on it. The Cuatomer Care Package was done at 98,000 km
    I have a third party warranty that covers ALL aspects of the fix. Interestingly BMW Toronto does not allow third party insurance work excepts under mega strict guidelines. Ie must agree to their 194 dollar per hour rate for all work and ONLY ALL BMW OEM parts for the repair
    needless to say I am somewhat dubious of the diagnosis until I see it repeat a few more time. I have already contacted two Indy garages that have done this work and my insurer is cool to work with either. It’s a disgrace that BMW Canada has not gotten their act in gear with the US arm or BMW. That’s my story of the day. Any feedback greatly appreciated

My Cars
    Bmw750i 2007

750i

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTerror View Post
    Just wanted to say THANK YOU for posting this! The engine in my 750 decided to eat itself and I was getting ready to order a high milage long block off ebay for 5k when I stumbled across this post. I got excited at first but trying to work out shipping between cali and oh for the core return was starting to become a nightmare and the people there at jake sweeney were lets just say less than enthusiastic to answer my questions about the core return policy, time, and shipping. I decided to take a long shot and ask my local bmw if they could come close to the internet price of the one in OH. My local dealer Steve Thomas BMW here in camarillo did me one better and MATCHED the jake sweeney internet price. Out the door I paid just over 3200 for a basically new engine. So i do give a big thanks to them, but dude if you hadn't posted this I would have paid 5k for an engine with 80k on it. You saved me almost 2k and I got a zero mile engine! BIG THANK YOU!
    I just seen your post I got a 2007 750i needs new engine .could please send me the shop you got yours done at information.thank you email mejcwhite@gmail.com

My Cars
    2011 BMW 750Li

Need A Good Shop near LA -- The Famous Valve Problem Strikes Again

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTerror View Post

Turbo! Have the same problem with my 750 Li -- the smoke is enough to make David Copperfield say, enough." Would love the name of your shop to explore when you can. Camarillo is just down the road from us!!! Thanks!!!!

My Cars
    2012 BMW X5 50i N63
    Do you know if you can put the N63N in and X5 50i that had a plane N63 400HP in it? And if so would any of the components on the N63 work on the N63N (Turbos, alternators, batteries, wiring harnesses. etc. Thanks so much. Rciahrd

My Cars
    No, you cannot just swap engines like that. If it was that easy, everyone would do it.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2011 BMW 550i GT
    Does anyone know how many hours it takes to do the engine transplant?

Marc

My Cars
    2011 BMW 550i GT
    Anyone know what the labor charge is, and or the amount of time it takes to do the entire swap?

Marc

My Cars
    2011 BMW 550i GT
    I just got a quote from my dealer yesterday and they will do it for about $7K, parts and labor. I think it's a good deal but I also think that BMW should do it for $0, because they knew this engine was problematic and it should not be falling apart on a $65K car.
    Has anyone had any luck getting them to pay for the entire project?

Marc

My Cars
    If it meets the criteria for the class action lawsuit, then yes. But there are many guidelines it has to meet, as well as the job is prorated based on mileage.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician