Thread: Recommendation for South Florida Seat repair

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe 5 speed

Recommendation for South Florida Seat repair

I have a 1995 540i with the electric sport seats. The forward and back functions work. The back recline doesn’t move at all. The headrest motor makes noise but the headrest doesn’t move. The thigh bolster motor moves the thigh bolster 1/2”. No more.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a place in South Florida that could trouble shoot and repair this seat. The car would be much more enjoyable if I could get the seat to fit me.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    easy DIY fix, see my website under fixes >>>seats, just a matter of 1 hour and does not cost anything. >>>>Twisted seat back: Shortening the drive cables -- good write up and photos
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    easy DIY fix, see my website under fixes >>>seats, just a matter of 1 hour and does not cost anything. >>>>Twisted seat back: Shortening the drive cables -- good write up and photos
    I’ve looked at your site. It seems to cover the 7 series well, but the 5 series sport seats are not the same as the 7s. Even Realoem does not show the Electric sport seats with power thigh bolster. I don’t want to start the project and not get it right.

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    Quote Originally Posted by maj75 View Post
    I’ve looked at your site. It seems to cover the 7 series well, but the 5 series sport seats are not the same as the 7s. Even Realoem does not show the Electric sport seats with power thigh bolster. I don’t want to start the project and not get it right.
    its applicable .. the designs as far as the cables and motors... you likly just have cable jackest that have streched preventing the cable from reaching the motor gear insert. the fix is to remove a small segment of the jacketing I think 5/8" is often cited and re-insert the squared cable end into the worm gear opening .. there are some tips to help avoid problems and some to make it easier such as fabricating a connector extension to allow operating the motors while the seat is out of its position allowing free access to the motors..

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    Yes it's an easy DIY. Instead of arbitrarily removing a length of the cable jacket I pull the cable out a bit at the motor end then insert it into the motor drive until it stops, then measure how much cable I need exposed past the end of the metal tab thing to seat all the way into the motor. Than push the cable back towards the seat drive to see how much sticks out before trimming so you can figure out how much plastic jacket to cut off. I use a torch lighter to heat the metal end tab and pull it off the plastic jacket.